Keyboard Suggestions

Daniel0898

Looking for a new keyboard, I already know about the name brands like the Corsair k70 or Razer Blackwidow. I kinda want something different, and unique. 

Throw at me whatever you got! One must though: It has to be mechanical :D 

Thanks for your time guys!

I used to have the Logitech G710+ (Brown Switches) before getting the k70. It is a very good keyboard.

unique you say... @TheProfosist can help with that.

most of these will not be easy or cheap to get.

phantom

TGR-Jane

lz-gh

ergo dox

kmac

happy hacking

NerD 60

jd40

Planck

old keyboards that may be interesting and rather nice when modded.

IBM 4704

apple m0110

there there is also full custom keyboard builds as well that is always an option

here are my keyboards

0oNly33.jpg

lN0Em2k.jpg

and a keyboard I built for @Vitalius

K3iy57p.jpg

MtcNy2P.jpg

I used to have the Logitech G710+ (Brown Switches) before getting the k70. It is a very good keyboard.

and which do you liked more? hahaha

they are cherry mx clear switches that I changed the springs in as well as put stickers on.

>changed the springs in

so wat are they equivalent to?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

>changed the springs in

so wat are they equivalent to?

nothing? lol they are modded clears that is what they are. They have 65 gram springs in most of the keys and and either 78g or 85g (not sure off hand) in the space bar and esc key.

phantom

TGR-Jane

lz-gh

ergo dox

kmac

happy hacking

NerD 60

jd40

Planck

IBM 4704

apple m0110

Thank you!

phantom

TGR-Jane

lz-gh

ergo dox

kmac

happy hacking

NerD 60

jd40

Planck

What do you recommend? I don't know how to make a keyboard, so some of these options might be out :/

What do you recommend? I don't know how to make a keyboard, so some of these options might be out :/

well that would make things harder since almost all of them are sold as either kits or individual parts. You may need to get them second hand but really putting a keyboard together really isnt that much work. In the morning I will try to look into what can be bought assembled. @TheProfosist, @SteezusChrist, @CommonCurt would probably be able to come up with something if I cant.

Just remember unique doesnt come cheap.

phantom

TGR-Jane

lz-gh

ergo dox

kmac

happy hacking

NerD 60

jd40

Planck

IBM 4704

apple m0110

there there is also full custom keyboard builds as well that is always an option

here are my keyboards

0oNly33.jpg

lN0Em2k.jpg

K3iy57p.jpg

MtcNy2P.jpg

Oh i forgot, i will want to do a m0110 mod at some point,i love the way that keyboard looks.

But first my custom keyboard.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

so you can get some of the Nerd keyboards assembled http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/3-custom-kbds-w-assembly

you can also get the happy hacking keyboards but they are trope switched kind of a middle point between membrane and mechanical that tend to be viewed as mechanical and well liked by keyboard enthusiasts.

the guy that makes the planck parts may be making a full keyboard soon called the PREONIC http://ortholinearkeyboards.com/preonic but it may just be a kit I'm not really sure.

if you are looking for some assembled customs it may be a good idea to check out the classifieds on http://deskthority.net/ and https://geekhack.org another option would be modding a keyboard buy getting an aftermarket case and keycaps since both of those should not require much work on your part if they are designed for the keyboard you want to mod.

Like TheProfosist said if you want it to be unique then it's not going to be cheap. Personally I have spent over a grand on a keyboard myself but that's because I am willing to pay that and have the board 100% to my liking. Some things that you want want to figure out before you dive into the world of keyboards are the switches you like, the layout, the angle of the board, etc. Sadly the mass produced keyboards from Corsair and other names brands won't really be able to help you out in that aspect. A lot of the boards that TheProfosist listed are fantastic boards but at this point will be insanely hard to get, for instance there was only ever 20 made of the TGR-Jane.

I personally like variety so I usually like to try new switches when I get a new board, however I definitely prefer tactility over linear. My main three boards that I keep in rotation contain Vintage MX Blues w/62g 24kt Gold Springs, 65g Tactile Zealios(Gateron made project ran by Zeal), and Vintage MX Browns. All three have varying levels of tactility but similar weights. Another thing to take into account is the plate material. When it comes to customs you'll usually have the option of acrylic, aluminum, and steel. Acrylic is obviously the most bendable out of the three however a little bend is good for tactile switches, I personally love it paired with my Zealios. Aluminum is usually the most preferred option giving a very nice sound and a slight bit of flex. Steel is usually for linear switches(reds and blacks) where there is basically no flex involved.

When I got into mechanical keyboards I was hesitant to spend $100 on board but now I'm willing to spend 10x as much because I understand and like what is involved in them. Your best bet may honestly be looking into Gon's keyboards like Charger said, however if you ask for it to be assembled it can take 6-8 months to arrive at your door. Depending on how much you want it customized it can range around mid $300s to around low $600s or so for a TKL layout.

To loosely quote Eiiti Wada(creator of the HHKB topre board), When a cowboy goes in the desert and he his horse dies he will still take the saddle with him for when he finds a new horse. Think of the computer as the horse and the keyboard as a saddle, I plan on keeping these boards for years to come and enjoy every second typing on them. There are so many options that I could honestly type all day so I'll just leave you with this "mini booklet" for now. :P

If you still have any further questions I'll be more than glad to help but honestly how I found out what I like the best was by trying new stuff out, it can be quite costly but it's the best option. I still haven't tried everything out either, I still have a lot of learning to do myself but my budget is what's holding me back haha.

Like TheProfosist said if you want it to be unique then it's not going to be cheap. Personally I have spent over a grand on a keyboard myself but that's because I am willing to pay that and have the board 100% to my liking. Some things that you want want to figure out before you dive into the world of keyboards are the switches you like, the layout, the angle of the board, etc. Sadly the mass produced keyboards from Corsair and other names brands won't really be able to help you out in that aspect. A lot of the boards that TheProfosist listed are fantastic boards but at this point will be insanely hard to get, for instance there was only ever 20 made of the TGR-Jane.

I personally like variety so I usually like to try new switches when I get a new board, however I definitely prefer tactility over linear. My main three boards that I keep in rotation contain Vintage MX Blues w/62g 24kt Gold Springs, 65g Tactile Zealios(Gateron made project ran by Zeal), and Vintage MX Browns. All three have varying levels of tactility but similar weights. Another thing to take into account is the plate material. When it comes to customs you'll usually have the option of acrylic, aluminum, and steel. Acrylic is obviously the most bendable out of the three however a little bend is good for tactile switches, I personally love it paired with my Zealios. Aluminum is usually the most preferred option giving a very nice sound and a slight bit of flex. Steel is usually for linear switches(reds and blacks) where there is basically no flex involved.

When I got into mechanical keyboards I was hesitant to spend $100 on board but now I'm willing to spend 10x as much because I understand and like what is involved in them. Your best bet may honestly be looking into Gon's keyboards like Charger said, however if you ask for it to be assembled it can take 6-8 months to arrive at your door. Depending on how much you want it customized it can range around mid $300s to around low $600s or so for a TKL layout.

To loosely quote Eiiti Wada(creator of the HHKB topre board), When a cowboy goes in the desert and he his horse dies he will still take the saddle with him for when he finds a new horse. Think of the computer as the horse and the keyboard as a saddle, I plan on keeping these boards for years to come and enjoy every second typing on them. There are so many options that I could honestly type all day so I'll just leave you with this "mini booklet" for now. :P

If you still have any further questions I'll be more than glad to help but honestly how I found out what I like the best was by trying new stuff out, it can be quite costly but it's the best option. I still haven't tried everything out either, I still have a lot of learning to do myself but my budget is what's holding me back haha.

I have not looked in to the second Jane group buy I was thinking that may still be open.

Ya custom cost money and or a lot of your own work to keep the price down. Even Alot of the second hand ones are still selling at new kit prices even if they need work to fix what the person that built it did. My keyboards probably cost me less then $200 total but that's because I scavenge parts and custom make things.

the first keyboard and numpad combo was basically $150 for me to make and the 40% was probably another $50 because I get the switches and keycaps free and the plate was part of a larger order. They are all hand wired to either a teensy micro controller or a pro micro. It is a lot of work to build cheap and I have far more money in tools then most people would which makes that easier.

0oNly33.jpg

lN0Em2k.jpg

I have not looked in to the second Jane group buy I was thinking that may still be open.

Ya custom cost money and or a lot of your own work to keep the price down. Even Alot of the second hand ones are still selling at new kit prices even if they need work to fix what the person that built it did. My keyboards probably cost me less then $200 total but that's because I scavenge parts and custom make things.

the first keyboard and numpad combo was basically $150 for me to make and the 40% was probably another $50 because I get the switches and keycaps free and the plate was part of a larger order. They are all hand wired to either a teensy micro controller or a pro micro. It is a lot of work to build cheap and I have far more money in tools then most people would which makes that easier.

0oNly33.jpg

lN0Em2k.jpg

The Jane CE group buy sold within minutes of opening up, there was only 25 slots for that one. Luckily I got in on that one as well. :D

Yeah if you custom manufacture the case and what not you can make it really cheap, I personally love full aluminum boards that are made and anodized in a machine shop. Sadly that is the most expensive option as well.

Looking for a new keyboard, I already know about the name brands like the Corsair k70 or Razer Blackwidow. I kinda want something different, and unique. 

Throw at me whatever you got! One must though: It has to be mechanical :D

Thanks for your time guys!

Ducky Shine 5. 

The Jane CE group buy sold within minutes of opening up, there was only 25 slots for that one. Luckily I got in on that one as well. :D

Yeah if you custom manufacture the case and what not you can make it really cheap, I personally love full aluminum boards that are made and anodized in a machine shop. Sadly that is the most expensive option as well.

nice. The janes do seem like they are a nice bit of kit i guess I will find out relativly soon when it gets shipped to me.

ya I'm cheap but have tools which leads me to making things rather then having them made more often then not. Im working on making a cnc router to do some more stuff and want to built an alps keyboard using it and trying to make keycaps for it lol

and which do you liked more? hahaha

The k70. Why the hahaha? Lol?

Logitech G910 Orion Spark

Don't really know what to put here.

phantom

TGR-Jane

lz-gh

ergo dox

kmac

happy hacking

NerD 60

jd40

Planck

IBM 4704

apple m0110

here are my keyboards

0oNly33.jpg

lN0Em2k.jpg

K3iy57p.jpg

MtcNy2P.jpg

What did you just make a list of the keyboards that I own?

nothing? lol they are modded clears that is what they are. They have 65 gram springs in most of the keys and and either 78g or 85g (not sure off hand) in the space bar and esc key.

Proper way to make dem switches if you ask me.

well that would make things harder since almost all of them are sold as either kits or individual parts. You may need to get them second hand but really putting a keyboard together really isnt that much work. In the morning I will try to look into what can be bought assembled. @TheProfosist, @SteezusChrist, @CommonCurt would probably be able to come up with something if I cant.

Just remember unique doesnt come cheap.

very few cool things can be bought assembled... Just have @Charger make if for you.

so you can get some of the Nerd keyboards assembled http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/3-custom-kbds-w-assembly

you can also get the happy hacking keyboards but they are trope switched kind of a middle point between membrane and mechanical that tend to be viewed as mechanical and well liked by keyboard enthusiasts.

the guy that makes the planck parts may be making a full keyboard soon called the PREONIC http://ortholinearkeyboards.com/preonic but it may just be a kit I'm not really sure.

if you are looking for some assembled customs it may be a good idea to check out the classifieds on http://deskthority.net/ and https://geekhack.org another option would be modding a keyboard buy getting an aftermarket case and keycaps since both of those should not require much work on your part if they are designed for the keyboard you want to mod.

Gon hardcore overcharges for what those boards are.

Lol I think you got @Charger and I mixed up there...

There is nothing like a milled aluminum keyboard case.

Logitech G910 Orion Spark

They keycaps so Eww save enough extra to get the standard ones.

I'd suggest the Razer Deathstalker (any make, depending on what you need). Yes, it's a membrane keyboard, but for a membrane keyboard, it works excellently with its low profile keys. 

I'd also suggest the Razer Blackwidow, but there's a ton of people on here who'll idiotically come up with an ocean of hate for that keyboard, even though it's actually an excellent keyboard. All of Razer's keyboards have a variation, depending if you want backlighting, full RGB backlighting, clicky or quiet keys, or even a wireless/tkl design. People on this forum seem to hate everything from Razer, but they've done some amazing stuff that you should probably consider