Noob on soundcards

mitchpman13

Hey guys I'm not that great with soundcards. When I look at them I see so many ports on them and kinda get confused. I use a 5.1 surround sound speaker system that I know goes in my orange, green, and black ports on my mobo. Would I benefit from the sound card? Also how can I tell which plugs go where?

depends on what kind of speakers you have. and do you really need one? 

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

If your motherboard is old, you might benefit from a sound card, but on board solutions have gotten good even for cheapo mobos.

I've had them for quite afew years now (over 5 not sure exactly). I have the Logitech X-540. Well I've never heard how much audio improves with an audio card. I just hear from a lot of people that they help, so figure I see what al lthe hype is about.

I've had them for quite afew years now (over 5 not sure exactly). I have the Logitech X-540. Well I've never heard how much audio improves with an audio card. I just hear from a lot of people that they help, so figure I see what al lthe hype is about.

they're not that great. if you want to notice a difference you'll need a pair of headphones, and even then a usb DAC/AMP will probably be better.

unless you're using matrix function and upscaling 2.1, there is no point if that's what you're using. Even if you were using something decent, you would be using optical or HDMI so it would still be pointless getting a soundcard.

tl;dr no

Error: 410

As for my mobo I've got a Asus P8P67 Pro

Your on board should be fine.  ^_^

People who say sound cards improve the sound substantially are either a victim of placebo (i.e. marketing), are judging based on loudness (they'll say things like "clarity"), or are comparing it with an old motherboard (static, hiss, pops, etc).