Fan splitter question.

invincible_rat

Can I use this 4pin to 2x4pin fan splitter : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812162026&cm_re=fan_splitter-_-12-162-026-_-Product

And plug it in a 3 pin on my motherboard, then use 2 3pin fans in the splitter

So basicaly, can I use a 4pin splitter and ignore completely the PWM pin (not plugged in motherboard AND not used by fans) 

Can I use this 4pin to 2x4pin fan splitter : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812162026&cm_re=fan_splitter-_-12-162-026-_-Product

And plug it in a 3 pin on my motherboard, then use 2 3pin fans in the splitter

So basicaly, can I use a 4pin splitter and ignore completely the PWM pin (not plugged in motherboard AND not used by fans) 

Yes just make sure your motherboard's header is set to DC voltage control or the fans will run at full speed on PWM.

Yes just make sure your motherboard's header is set to DC voltage control or the fans will run at full speed on PWM.

I currently have two 3pin fans connected on two of my 4 pin headers on my motherboard. And the fans run at variable speeds. Low when cold, high when hot. Does that mean i'm already good to go with my "plan"?

I currently have two 3pin fans connected on two of my 4 pin headers on my motherboard. And the fans at variable speeds. Low when cold, high when hot. Does that mean i'm already good to go with my "plan"?

Yes that sounds about right for DC voltage control. 

Yes that sounds about right for DC voltage control. 

2 or 3 other question I have a bit related to the previous ones.

Question 1 :

Here's a picture (not mine) of where the cages are 93c9d42579.jpg

The red hard drive cage is removed for an MSI r9 390, quite a beefy card.

The green stays cuz its riveted on the case, and I need at least two slots. (so this cage is filled)

You can put two 120mm fans in front of those cages(behind the front pannel) 17a97270b5.jpg

one aligned with the top cage (red) the other aligned with the bottom cage (green)

For the top one, Since there is no more cage, an airflow (going for the corsair af120, already have that one the side and back of my case) fan is the obsvious choice.

For the bottom one it's a hard choice, and i'd like advice on that one. Most of the bottom fan is aligned with the bottom cage (and keep in mind that that cage will be filled with drives, so almost no place for air). The cage beign a little under 3 centimeters (about 2.5) from the fan, i'd go with a static pressure fan. But I would like your advice.

Question 2 : 

If you do recommend a static pressure, is it ok to put an airflow and a static pressure fan on the same header?, using the splitter I asked questions about earlier. Because when you use a splitter both fans are considered as one and are controlled together, i'm afraid one of the fan won't do is job proprely because of the other.

Question 3 : If you do not recommend using AF and SP on the same header (using a splitter), would an airflow one perform that bad on the bottom slot?

-SNIP-

Well if they are the exact same fan as in RPM and design just static pressure vs airflow, putting them on the same header would run them at approx the same speed, while ideally you would the same fans on a splitter to balance them it wouldn't hurt anything to have a pressure and airflow fan together.

Well if they are the exact same fan as in RPM and design just static pressure vs airflow, putting them on the same header would run them at approx the same speed, while ideally you would the same fans on a splitter to balance them it wouldn't hurt anything to have a pressure and airflow fan together.

They are not the same rpm, the SP has 350 over the AF. And also the SP is 4 pin while the AF is 3 pin (would that even work on the 4 pin splitter mentioned above?)

They are not the same rpm, the SP has 350 over the AF. And also the SP is 4 pin while the AF is 3 pin (would that even work on the 4 pin splitter mentioned above?)

4 pin fans can run off of DC voltage control but usually don't have large as a controllable range on the low end, if they are different RPM's the splitter only has one RPM line it takes in so it will base if off of only one fan while the other follows, so the two won't run at the same speeds. Not ideal if you wanted them to be exactly the same but it will work. 

4 pin fans can run off of DC voltage control but usually don't have large as a controllable range on the low end, if they are different RPM's the splitter only has one RPM line it takes in so it will base if off of only one fan while the other follows, so the two won't run at the same speeds. Not ideal if you wanted them to be exactly the same but it will work. 

I'm probably going to go with 2 AirFlow for the "balance". I just want to know if the bottom one would perform really bad or do a decent job, even if quite blocked by the cage.

I'm probably going to go with 2 AirFlow for the "balance". I just want to know if the bottom one would perform really bad or do a decent job, even if quite blocked by the cage.

I would say go for two pressure fans over airflow, most don't perform too bad to moving air but even if you have filtered intakes pressure fans do a better job than most airflow ones.