What PSU do you advise for a HTPC 24/7 build.

Clampy

Hey guys,

I was planning on getting the RM450, but was told to steer clear. I was given an alternative, but more opinions is not a bad thing. Here is my build (for now):

AMaE2jl.jpg

No GPU, just a CPU plex/storage PC. What PSU would you advise for this system? Will eventually add 2 more HDDs, probably reds as well.

Thanks a lot :)

Clampy

Hey guys,

I was planning on getting the RM450, but was told to steer clear. I was given an alternative, but more opinions is not a bad thing. Here is my build (for now):

AMaE2jl.jpg

No GPU, just a CPU plex/storage PC. What PSU would you advise for this system? Will eventually add 2 more HDDs, probably reds as well.

Clampy

An RM is totally fine for a no GPU system.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Hey guys,

AMaE2jl.jpg

Clampy

Woah where are you from with those prices

It's probably their local currency, with a base unit that is much smaller than USD.

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

i5 3570 -- AS.Rock Z77 Pro3 -- 12GB DDR3 -- R9 380X -- 840Evo 500GB/1TB HDD 

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.

It's probably their local currency, with a base unit that is much smaller than USD.

I'm aware just curious

I'm aware just curious

Zimbabwe. He bought some bread for his family today. He paid four billion dollars.

2512379_23428541919f4794a1fd_jpega662f57

Had to use the wheelbarrow too...

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Haha, Sweden (SEK).

An RM is totally fine for a no GPU system.

Yea - I'll probably just go with it, but wanted to make sure as I got a negative POV from that part.

Yea - I'll probably just go with it, but wanted to make sure as I got a negative POV from that part.

For the record, it's not the best value PSU. If you can get an XFX TS or something like that for cheaper then do it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

For the record, it's not the best value PSU. If you can get an XFX TS or something like that for cheaper then do it.

Yea I get that, wanted something solid that I could trust with a 24/7 machine. I would drop it if the gain didn't seem worth it. I'll take a look at the XFX.

Zimbabwe. He bought some bread for his family today. He paid four billion dollars.

2512379_23428541919f4794a1fd_jpega662f57

Had to use the wheelbarrow too...

Gotta love zimbabwe

The RM450 isn't a bad PSU that should should feel the need to "steer clear" from. It's a decent mainstream unit, that offer good performance (electrically), full modularity, gold efficiency, and a silent operation (will remain fanless in that HTPC build). However, the RM series seem to be a much more poor value than the superior RMx series. You could get the RM550x for cheaper at 999SEK: https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010883982/rmx-series-rm550x

Anyways, here's are other options:

The Seasonic G 360w would be able to power that, and it should be around 700SEK.

You could also get the Fractal Design Edison M 450w (Seasonic G 450w internally) for around 900 SEK as well

Between those three, I would go for the RMx, but the G360 is a good option if you want to spend less.

The RM450 isn't a bad PSU that should should feel the need to "steer clear" from. It's a decent mainstream unit, that offer good performance (electrically), full modularity, gold efficiency, and a silent operation (will remain fanless in that HTPC build). However, the RM series seem to be a much more poor value than the superior RMx series. You could get the RM550x for cheaper at 999SEK: https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010883982/rmx-series-rm550x

Anyways, here's are other options:

The Seasonic G 360w would be able to power that, and it should be around 700SEK.

You could also get the Fractal Design Edison M 450w (Seasonic G 450w internally) for around 900 SEK as well

Between those three, I would go for the RMx, but the G360 is a good option if you want to spend less.

Mega! Thank you.