Is Adaptive Sync even worth using? New GPU

anthonyc813

my brain is hurting. this is probably the hardest decision I made in the last 3 years. Been staring at reviews, videos, and forums since 8am

On a 1440p 144Hz IPS monitor would a 980ti even matter if I don;t use Fsync? Non FPS games. Should that alone really dictate the card I get today? I do NOT want to do SLi/Xfire any time soon nor spend 1200 on a 34" module Predator in a year or more.

980ti is cream of the crop. So many pros and cons with AMD Fury and Fury X. The budget is there, Every time I narrow down my selection another variable comes up and I am back to Sq1...

Please help. This is killing me!

Games like WoW WOD, WoW Legion, Witcher 3, all three Dragon Age's.

390X is out. I want a card today that will last 1 year+ Single card solution.

Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury has 0 reviews. benchmarks, etc that just came out and I missed the sale by a week...

free sync is amd proprietary, gsync is nvidia's equivalent, and in some strategy games, i have seen screen tearing on some strategy games when you move the map really quickly. and its all a matter of personal preference. 

~dm

my brain is hurting. this is probably the hardest decision I made in the last 3 years. Been staring at reviews, videos, and forums since 8am

On a 1440p 144Hz IPS monitor would a 980ti even matter if I don;t use Fsync? Non FPS games. Should that alone really dictate the card I get today? I do NOT want to do SLi/Xfire any time soon nor spend 1200 on a 34" module Predator in a year or more.

980ti is cream of the crop. So many pros and cons with AMD Fury and Fury X. The budget is there, Every time I narrow down my selection another variable comes up and I am back to Sq1...

Please help. This is killing me!

Games like WoW WOD, WoW Legion, Witcher 3, all three Dragon Age's.

390X is out. I want a card today that will last 1 year+ Single card solution.

Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury has 0 reviews. benchmarks, etc that just came out and I missed the sale by a week...

Well,

if you have a Freesync monitor go with a Fury X or Fury for 1440p (I´d go with the Fury X) and the reason for that is, sure the GTX980Ti will work on 144Hz Freesync display just fine, except for the Freesync of course. But the real question is, WHY would you do that?

I don´t think you have any idea how good Freesync or G-Sync really are and it would be a real bummer not to go with it, it is hard to describe but when I saw it the first time live, it felt as if I´d gamed the first time for real.

If you don´t have a monitor yet you can go with a GTX980Ti and a G-Sync display, but the costs favor is definitely on AMD´s side, since the Fury is way cheaper and a Freesync monitor is cheaper as well.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Well,

if you have a Freesync monitor go with a Fury X or Fury for 1440p (I´d go with the Fury X) and the reason for that is, sure the GTX980Ti will work on 144Hz Freesync display just fine, except for the Freesync of course. But the real question is, WHY would you do that?

I don´t think you have any idea how good Freesync or G-Sync really are and it would be a real bummer not to go with it, it is hard to describe but when I saw it the first time live, it felt as if I´d gamed the first time for real.

If you don´t have a monitor yet you can go with a GTX980Ti and a G-Sync display, but the costs favor is definitely on AMD´s side, since the Fury is way cheaper and a Freesync monitor is cheaper as well.

I own the MG279Q and ran 970 SLi for about 5 months with it. Cannot recall any tearing on WoW or any game I played since upgrading monitor. Every time I go to settle on a Fury card I read some negative point on tomshardware, or a European site and then I say "maybe get the 980ti". Head is killing me on this!

I own the MG279Q and ran 970 SLi for about 5 months with it. Cannot recall any tearing on WoW or any game I played since upgrading monitor. Every time I go to settle on a Fury card I read some negative point on tomshardware, or a European site and then I say "maybe get the 980ti". Head is killing me on this!

Yeah well, the GTX980Ti is the fastest card, period. When some people compare the GTX980Ti with the Fury X they like to forget that most of the tests are performed with GTX980Ti reference settings, which is a joke. If you take any board partner design in consideration, the Fury X isn´t as fast as the GTX980Ti. But people have a tendency to believe whatever makes ´em happy the most I guess ;). But that being said it doesn´t mean that the Fury X is BS by any meanings. We are talking here in most games (benchmarks the GTX980Ti & Titan X are different pair of shoes) of 5-15% percent max... how much is that in those resolutions?? 2-5 FPS. Yes and there are those games that work with Gameworks, and even so... you still get more than acceptable FPS. People always act like they need a shit ton of FPS, whilst all you need (except for competitive FPS gaming) 50-60FPS to get a real enjoyable gaming experience. I´m runnnig 4K quite a while and I want eye candy, that´s why I run the setup I have currently, but I don´t care for hundreds of FPS, all I care are desired 60FPS and settings that make your jaw drop.

Now as for you going back and forward, I´d straight forward go with a Fury X. The Fury might be cheaper but it isn´t as potent and in the aftermath you might regret not have gone with the big chip. For 1440p the Fury X is a perfect GPU.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Yeah well, the GTX980Ti is the fastest card, period. When some people compare the GTX980Ti with the Fury X they like to forget that most of the tests are performed with GTX980Ti reference settings, which is a joke. If you take any board partner design in consideration, the Fury X isn´t as fast as the GTX980Ti. But people have a tendency to believe whatever makes ´em happy the most I guess ;). But that being said it doesn´t mean that the Fury X is BS by any meanings. We are talking here in most games (benchmarks the GTX980Ti & Titan X are different pair of shoes) of 5-15% percent max... how much is that in those resolutions?? 2-5 FPS. Yes and there are those games that work with Gameworks, and even so... you still get more than acceptable FPS. People always act like they need a shit ton of FPS, whilst all you need (except for competitive FPS gaming) 50-60FPS to get a real enjoyable gaming experience. I´m runnnig 4K quite a while and I want eye candy, that´s why I run the setup I have currently, but I don´t care for hundreds of FPS, all I care are desired 60FPS and settings that make your jaw drop.

Now as for you going back and forward, I´d straight forward go with a Fury X. The Fury might be cheaper but it isn´t as potent and in the aftermath you might regret not have gone with the big chip. For 1440p the Fury X is a perfect GPU.

God bless you

last hour and a half was reading up on new crimson Drivers and how the Fury X is right there with 980ti. No now THATS in play. With freesync on 1440p.

I was leaning toward the Fury Nitro that just came out 2 weeks ago. Supposed to be the best Fury. XFX offers free Star Wars but eh.

I need to place the order tonight so I can redo my PC and raid Tuesday

Is there really a huge gain over the AIO Fury over the Air cooled? Is it like 5-10 fps or like 2-7? in most modern AAA out today.

Is there really a huge gain over the AIO Fury over the Air cooled? Is it like 5-10 fps or like 2-7? in most modern AAA out today.

Well there´s quite a difference in the performance of the Fury and Fury X. Since the Fury X is the big, fully enabled chip it has a good notch more performance and the AIO is very good on that card since it cools chip, VRAM and VRM as well.

Like written before I´d go with the Fury X.