Building a new PC soon. Want to ask some questions first :)

Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,

Awesome. So just so just to make sure I: 1: Finish Building The PC 2: Connect to USB to the computer 3: Press F11 to go into the boot menu 4: I select the USB and the download should start.

No, the download is done on your PC before you put the USB into the new one.

Here:

You have a USB flash drive at the ready.

Plug it into your functioning PC currently. Run the installer. Should take about an hour, maybe longer if you have slower internet.

Now it walks you through EVERYTHING.

After it's done, plug it into the newly built PC and it should figure it out.

Hello :) 

i am going to be building a new Gaming PC and ill be moving my current hard drive over to the new PC and i was wondering if the operating system would move over with the hard drive. sorry if this question is a little dumb. I still new to PC building a i want to know a few things before buying the new parts. :)

It can yes but its best practice to do a clean install of Windows.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

It can yes but its best practice to do a clean install of Windows.

With the new case that Im buying there is no optical drive. But i was thinking about moving the hard drive over and then doing a factory reset as soon as i turn on the computer and making sure everything is working. Would that also work?

With the new case that Im buying there is no optical drive. But i was thinking about moving the hard drive over and then doing a factory reset as soon as i turn on the computer and making sure everything is working. Would that also work?

Frankenstien the drive onto the new PC while you get everything setup, then remove it and run it without a disc drive.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

You can install via USB, a reset would do the trick though yes.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Yes the OS is and will stay on the drive. But it is safer to do a clean install of the OS so there isn't any bugs with the old drivers and such.

2 π noscope

/powered by mountain dew and doritos/

Just make a bootable USB installation of Windows. What OS will you be transporting over?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just make a bootable USB installation of Windows. What OS will you be transporting over?

im not really sure how to make a USB installation of Windows..

im not really sure how to make a USB installation of Windows..

It's pretty well documented on the internet so a quick Google search can give you that. You could also answer my original question of what version of Windows you'll be transporting over.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

It's pretty well documented on the internet so a quick Google search can give you that. You could also answer my original question of what version of Windows you'll be transporting over.

I was thinking about transporting Windows 7 because that's the default OS i got when i got my current computer and since im moving the Hard Drive over i think that would be the best idea. after i make sure the computer works fine ill download Windows 10.

I was thinking about transporting Windows 7 because that's the default OS i got when i got my current computer and since im moving the Hard Drive over i think that would be the best idea. after i make sure the computer works fine ill download Windows 10.

OK, so yeah, here's the links for the various versions of Windows 7. If you have, say, Professional then you MUST download Windows 7 Professional to have a legit key on the new PC. http://getintopc.com/page/2/?s=windows+7

Then use the Windows 7 USB DVD download tool and launch it. Should be self explanatory from there. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Once you've made a bootable USB (will take up to an hour) then plug it into your PC, and boot into the boot options (F12 on my motherboard) and choose the USB. It should run on it's own only needing your help occasionally from here on out!

OK, so yeah, here's the links for the various versions of Windows 7. If you have, say, Professional then you MUST download Windows 7 Professional to have a legit key on the new PC. http://getintopc.com/page/2/?s=windows+7

Then use the Windows 7 USB DVD download tool and launch it. Should be self explanatory from there. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Once you've made a bootable USB (will take up to an hour) then plug it into your PC, and boot into the boot options (F12 on my motherboard) and choose the USB. It should run on it's own only needing your help occasionally from here on out!

Awesome, Thanks! Im downloading the Windows 7 HP right now and it says its 3.1 GB. Is that how much space its going to take on the USB?

Awesome, Thanks! Im downloading the Windows 7 HP right now and it says its 3.1 GB. Is that how much space its going to take on the USB?

It'll take more like four 

It'll take more like four 

I just started looking for my Windows 7 CD-Key and i cant seem to find it. If i dont find it before i get all the PC parts would it also work if i just did a normal factory reset when i transfer the Hard Drive over?

I just started looking for my Windows 7 CD-Key and i cant seem to find it. If i dont find it before i get all the PC parts would it also work if i just did a normal factory reset when i transfer the Hard Drive over?

The reason you're making this USB is so that you don't need a disk...

The reason you're making this USB is so that you don't need a disk...

Yes but dont u need to enter a CD-Key or something?

Yes but dont u need to enter a CD-Key or something?

Well yeah, but you can find that on the PC with a working copy of Windows 7 already on it using ProduKey (warning, upon clicking that link it will begin to download, just so you aren't surprised) 

Well yeah, but you can find that on the PC with a working copy of Windows 7 already on it using ProduKey (warning, upon clicking that link it will begin to download, just so you aren't surprised) 

im currently running windows 10 though..

im currently running windows 10 though..

It works on Windows 10 too. With that you can actually download the ISO for the version of Windows 10 you have and just transfer that over rather than upgrading Windows 7 and all that.

It works on Windows 10 too. With that you can actually download the ISO for the version of Windows 10 you have and just transfer that over rather than upgrading Windows 7 and all that.

oh, awesome! so im on the website where i got the windows 7 download from. what version of windows 10 should i get?

oh, awesome! so im on the website where i got the windows 7 download from. what version of windows 10 should i get?

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Download that for now

Do you have a professional or home version of Windows 10 already installed? Then you need to make a USB drive of said version

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Download that for now

Do you have a professional or home version of Windows 10 already installed? Then you need to make a USB drive of said version

I have Windows 10 Home currently installed. I ran the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool and it says i need some sort of ISO file.

I have Windows 10 Home currently installed. I ran the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool and it says i need some sort of ISO file.

yes, because to use the Windows 7 tool you need an ISO.... I linked you to it....

You don't need to do that if you're installing Windows 10 though. The Windows 10 tool I linked above is all you need as well as your USB flash drive. Honestly, this isn't difficult...

yes, because to use the Windows 7 tool you need an ISO.... I linked you to it....

You don't need to do that if you're installing Windows 10 though. The Windows 10 tool I linked above is all you need as well as your USB flash drive. Honestly, this isn't difficult...

Awesome. So just to make sure I: 1: Finish Building The PC 2: Connect to USB to the computer 3: Press F11 to go into the boot menu 4: I select the USB and the download should start.

Awesome. So just so just to make sure I: 1: Finish Building The PC 2: Connect to USB to the computer 3: Press F11 to go into the boot menu 4: I select the USB and the download should start.

No, the download is done on your PC before you put the USB into the new one.

Here:

You have a USB flash drive at the ready.

Plug it into your functioning PC currently. Run the installer. Should take about an hour, maybe longer if you have slower internet.

Now it walks you through EVERYTHING.

After it's done, plug it into the newly built PC and it should figure it out.