How to getting in to coding and programming?

Botasky

I just recently talked to friend that I haven't seen since high school, damn he become a cracker making computer virus and attack data bases. That got me thinking, today computer have gone into almost all of ours thing, whatever you are doing or working, farm, manufacture, transportation etc. I'm working as videographer and editor, so I have lot of free time, I wanted to getting start learning coding and programming, so in the future I can make things like plug-in for Adobe AfterEffect and that will help my career a lot. Any suggestion for beginner to start coding? are there any site that teach basic programming? and what kind of programming that I should look in to? Thanks :)

Start with building apps.  It's easy to do, fun, and can expose you to a lot of programming aspects.  I highly recommend learning Java and C#.  If you start with C# building Windows Apps you can get a lot of support from Microsoft.  They typically host a lot of hackathons and app labs to help people get going. 

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

I just recently talked to friend that I haven't seen since high school, damn he become a cracker making computer virus and attack data bases. That got me thinking, today computer have gone into almost all of ours thing, whatever you are doing or working, farm, manufacture, transportation etc. I'm working as videographer and editor, so I have lot of free time, I wanted to getting start learning coding and programming, so in the future I can make things like plug-in for Adobe AfterEffect and that will help my career a lot. Any suggestion for beginner to start coding? are there any site that teach basic programming? and what kind of programming that I should look in to? Thanks :)

Check this thread:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/49344-good-language-to-start-with/

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

I would say Python, it's a fairly simple language to learn and the functions etc. are pretty easy to understand and remember from their names, with a fairly large pallet of resources. I'm not sure if it would help you in the future for Adobe but it may help you to learn another language.

This is the guide I learned with and it is easy to understand from a programming beginner (it's the first language I have learnt) : http://voyager.egglescliffe.org.uk/mwc/mukoku/file.php/15/Programming/Introduction_to_Python_v2.1.pdf

If you decide to learn Python and ever need any help, just PM me and I'll try to help!

| Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus | MSI P67A-G45 | i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz |  Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus | EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition 2GB | 8GB (2X4GB) Mushkin Blackline @ 1600MHz | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green | Corsair 600CX V2 | Windows 7 64-bit |

If you decide to learn Python and ever need any help, just PM me and I'll try to help!

Addendum: Dive into Python and Dive into Python3 are more updated. Both are freely available. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Addendum: Dive into Python and Dive into Python3 are more updated. Both are freely available. 

Are you referring to Python 3.3? If so yeah dw I'm using that! :) And that is what I would recommend! If not what are you referring to?

| Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus | MSI P67A-G45 | i5 2500K @ 4.2GHz |  Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus | EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition 2GB | 8GB (2X4GB) Mushkin Blackline @ 1600MHz | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green | Corsair 600CX V2 | Windows 7 64-bit |

Are you referring to Python 3.3? If so yeah dw I'm using that! :) And that is what I would recommend! If not what are you referring to?

The ebook you linked to appears to be Python 2.1, which is fairly old. Some features may no longer be applicable now. 

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

The ebook you linked to appears to be Python 2.1, which is fairly old. Some features may no longer be applicable now. 

Oh, yeah that is a bit outdated, I learnt 3.3 using it though and I don't there was anything too major, that aside I'd still recommend it as a guide to learn python.

Oh, yeah that is a bit outdated, I learnt 3.3 using it though and I don't there was anything too major, that aside I'd still recommend it as a guide to learn python.

Huh, I guess I was wrong. That version number refers to the publication version, not Python version. Book appears have been published in 2012. 

Huh, I guess I was wrong. That version number refers to the publication version, not Python version. Book appears have been published in 2012. 

Ahh, I guess we're chasing our own tail now! Oh well!