Best Software to Record PC Screen?

Cy-Fy
Go to solution Solved by Samdb,

Fraps and DxTory are good choices.

Hello guys I'm planning to start doing some gaming and tutorials on youtube and I'm deciding on what software I should use to record the screen,,, I have heard about Camtasia Studio or something but I wanted to know recommendations based on experience, maybe xsplit, I don't know... Maybe some youtubers here could help me? ^^ Thanks you guys :P

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

Open Broadcast Software is a great alternative to xsplit and its free.

what do you think of the free version of xsplit, I mean Linus uses it so it must be good right?

Fraps is quite a good one and doesn't cost much however as @Samdb said DxTory is also a good one but more expensive, yet higher quality

My Current Rig: CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.8Ghz CPU Cooler: H100i MOBO: Gigabyte Z97X SOC GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 Tahiti pro (Died 6/07/2014 RIP) & PowerColour HD7950  GPU Cooler: NZXT G10 W/ Corsair H55 HDD&SSD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Corsair GS 128GB + Samsung 840 EVO 250GB PSU: Corsair RM 750 Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2.  

Fraps and DxTory are good choices.

Open Broadcast Software is a great alternative to xsplit and its free.

Fraps is quite a good one and doesn't cost much however as @Samdb said DxTory is also a good one but more expensive, yet higher quality

what do you think of the free version of xsplit, I mean Linus uses it so it must be good right?

It doesn't let you record full screen games, which kind of sucks.

I use Action! from Mirillis, it's probably my favorite program.

+ Smaller file sizes than Dxtory & Fraps

+ Close to NO frame-drop

+ Record your microphone + in-game sound to separate tracks for Sony Vegas ;)

+ You have recording modes: Game, window or Chosen desktop region

+ MP4 up to 720p, AVI up to 1080p

+ You can record webcams as-well :)

- Doesn't record all games :/

- Makes DRM overlays to not work (Steam, Origin..)

- Not a big fan of the overlay/HUD that shows the FPS counter :/

There is probably a few more Pros and cons, but those is what i remember :)

Intel i7-2600K @ 4,5GHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 780 w/EKWB Copper Waterblock | Kingston HyperX blu 16GB @ 1600 MHz | Phanteks Enthoo Primo | MSI Z77A-GD65 | CM M1000 Silent Pro | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | BenQ XL2420T 120hz | Logitech G710+ | Razer Deathadder 2013 -

- XSPC Raystorm CPU Waterblock | XSPC RX360 Radiator | EKWB EK-FC Titan GPU Waterblock -

With any luck we will see shadowplay soon which will work on any nvidia card from 650 ti and higher.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I like Bandicam. You can set it to anything. You can do fullscreen, or set a specific frame box...or just drag the edges around untill you are happy. I thought it was very flexible. I only used the trial which has full support but only 10 minutes per recording and a watermark.

But it was very nice.

Fraps

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

Open Broadcaster Software works surprisingly well and is very customisable. I don't know how much of a toll it takes on the CPU though so you might want to check that out first.