Is a sound card worth the money?

Kaspertechgeek
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,

No unless you have fancy fancy headphones

Not even then... all they do is decrease the impedance of your headphones which gives the impression of them sounding better when, in reality, they're just louder.

Title says it all.

Nope. Get an external DAC if you feel up for the audio upgrade. This SMSL is great if you're up for utilizing the audio interface and this if you aren't. I'd strongly suggest that Micca though. It has both 3.5mm and 1/4" jacks and is USB and basically an Audioengine D1 in disguise.

Title says it all.

AMD FX8350 Black OC 4.5ghz--NZXT Kraken X31--ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0--MSI R9 380 4G--Corsair RM750--Corsair 16GB Vengeance

Logitech G300--Roccat ISKU FX--Logitech Z623--HyperX Cloud II

Depends.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Title doesn't really say it all. 

We'd need to know the board and headphones/speakers you were using. 

In general, soundcards are no better than modern onboard audio and are not worth the money. An external DAC is normally a better solution. 

Title says it all.

95% of the time, no. But it depends on what headphones or speakers you use, and what your current sound chip is, and how "audiophile" you wanna get.

If you are using standard headphones that are in the 36ohm area or lower, onboard should be more than adequate and likely you wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

When in doubt, re-format.

Not even then... all they do is decrease the impedance of your headphones which gives the impression of them sounding better when, in reality, they're just louder.

Title says it all.

Nope. Get an external DAC if you feel up for the audio upgrade. This SMSL is great if you're up for utilizing the audio interface and this if you aren't. I'd strongly suggest that Micca though. It has both 3.5mm and 1/4" jacks and is USB and basically an Audioengine D1 in disguise.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

In general, soundcards are no better than modern onboard audio and are not worth the money. An external DAC is normally a better solution. 

My speakers and headphones are literally right underneath the sentence you quoted. Logitech z623 and HyperX Cloud II. So a soundcard wouldn't be a good investment at all.

AMD FX8350 Black OC 4.5ghz--NZXT Kraken X31--ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0--MSI R9 380 4G--Corsair RM750--Corsair 16GB Vengeance

Gonna go one further and note that entry-level external DACs are not really upgrades either.

Most people will benefit the most from cleaning up any misbehaving drivers (that might be causing latency issues and thus static/pops) and getting an external amp if necessary.

Also, it should be noted that a soundcard does not "increase the impedance" of headphones.

ok so it's a no go :D

Gonna go one further and note that entry-level external DACs are not really upgrades either.

Most people will benefit the most from cleaning up any misbehaving drivers (that might be causing latency issues and thus static/pops) and getting an external amp if necessary.

Also, it should be noted that a soundcard does not "increase the impedance" of headphones.

Mind blown.

for the sound you use, thats a no

Thanks!

I know they don't literally do this but from what I understand it's just something that functions as an amp more than anything, possible getting rid of static sound in the background and making it easier to power headphones.

Source(?)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I know they don't literally do this but from what I understand it's just something that functions as an amp more than anything, possible getting rid of static sound in the background and making it easier to power headphones.

The don't figuratively do it either. Going external can indeed get the audio chain away from interference, but the better soundcards will do this as well.

Also, that video is hardly what I would call a reliable source, at least not in it's entirety.