Best Noise-canceling Mic in a Headset?

TheDarkTower91

Hi, I have an Audio Technica ATH-M50x and an AT2020USB+ for my home gaming setup but I go to LAN-Parties often with all the noise you can find there, and my headphones-mic combo is not working nice with all that noise. Which are the headsets with the best noise-canceling mic?

well first off headset mics are not very good. I would say use your M50x and a mod mic. 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

well first off headset mics are not very good. I would say use your M50x and a mod mic. 

Yes, I know that but what i need is to reduce the noice the most to use "Voice activation" features. I'm not thinking in sound quality right now, I know it isn't easy to find a high quality audio mic which can works in a noisy place.

A lot of people will praise the modmic, but there are headsets that have far better microphones. Unfortunately, these headsets tend to come with a price tag higher than what your average gamer is willing to spend. Sennheiser, Audio Technica, and Beyerdynamic all offer headsets with superior microphones in my experience. But, expect the price tag to be north of $200.

A lot of people will praise the modmic, but there are headsets that have far better microphones. Unfortunately, these headsets tend to come with a price tag higher than what your average gamer is willing to spend. Sennheiser, Audio Technica, and Beyerdynamic all offer headsets with superior microphones in my experience. But, expect the price tag to be north of $200.

Don't go spouting this. Audio Technica has a headset with a better mic, the ATH AG1, but name one from Sennheiser. No; the PC360/G4ME Zero/One mic is not as good as a modmic.

The mic is good though, no denying that.

Don't go spouting this. Audio Technica has a headset with a better mic, the ATH AG1, but name one from Sennheiser. No; the PC360/G4ME Zero/One mic is not as good as a modmic.

The mic is good though, no denying that.

I totally disagree, but to each their own, I suppose.

I've used the modmic and all three of the Sennheiser models you mentioned in a professional setting, and have always gotten better results with the latter.

So, ultimately it's up to the OP to do with our opinions as they will. :-)

I totally disagree, but to each their own, I suppose.

I've used the modmic and all three of the Sennheiser models you mentioned in a professional setting, and have always gotten better results with the latter.

So, ultimately it's up to the OP to do with our opinions as they will. :-)

Sounds like you chose between the sennheiser headsets and the modmic and chose the headsets and are now having buyers remorse :P At least I actually own both.

Sounds like you chose between the sennheiser headsets and the modmic and chose the headsets and are now having buyers remorse :P At least I actually own both.

He used it in a "professional setting", though, which means he's right.

He used it in a "professional setting", though, which means he's right.

And he has definitely used the modmic and isn't just trying to justify his choice when he was choosing between those and 558's with a modmic. That definitely isn't what's going on. That would be crazy.

I'm wondering what "professional setting" would require a headset mic or modmic... Most call centers supply you with a shitty headset. If it's a home office you can usually have a separate mic...

That's a rather asinine thing to say. I wouldn't claim to have experience with the products, if I didn't own them. :)

I'm not sure if you're aware, but being that this is an audio sub-forum, it's not uncommon for participants to have more than one pair of headphones. ;)

That's a rather asinine thing to say. I wouldn't claim to have experience with the products, if I didn't own them. :)

I'm not sure if you're aware, but being that this is an audio sub-forum, it's not uncommon for participants to have more than one pair of headphones. ;)

It's also the internet and common for people to lie :)

Touché.

And with that said, neither of our opinions should hold much weight. LOL

Fair enough!

Ok guys, all you have said is really interesting but what i want is the best noise canceling mic headset "NOISE CANCELING", thats the point, idc about the best audio quality, I just need something to chat in a noisy enviroment using features like "voice activation". The mic which set the noise at the lower posible volume.

The job of a microphone is to pick up sounds, not cancel them out. Noise canceling microphone is an oxymoron. Use the search function and search for proper mic setup. You can setup the mic up to limit background noise but not cancel noise.

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

The job of a microphone is to pick up sounds, not cancel them out. Noise canceling microphone is an oxymoron. Use the search function and search for proper mic setup. You can setup the mic up to limit background noise but not cancel noise.

Agreed.  That being said, the best noise cancelling Mics I've had were attached to a headset when they shipped out of the factory.  Nothing against Modmics, but they don't seem to have the ability to cancel out noise as effectively as headsets w/ "noise cancelling" mics built into them.

Of the headsets I've own that claim that, I'd say that my PC360 G4ME headset does a better job than my Nash 20 does, though considering the fact is was twice as much may be the reason :)

Becouse of that I was talking about headsets, with noise canceling mic headsets I mean these heatsets that have 2 mics, 1 for your voice and another one for the enviroment noise and then they take off the noise from the voice mic using the external mic signal. I though it was obvious, sorry.