Are software developers and software engineers the same thing?

Cvdasfg
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

So any suggestion on if i should even go to college for one of them? If so which? or should i just get certifications? ( a+,network+,security+ ect.

Computer Science and Software Engineer are both University degrees (I guess you call them College in the U.S), basically a Bachelor degree.

Programmer are not in demand, especially that these days they just outsource thing to other countries, and websites are fairly complicated that even web programming requires more advanced skills, especially with phones (I am talking about web apps, and nice animated sites with lots of database queries and such, like a big website). Not by itself anyways. You can use it as a degree to compliment an IT degree, for example. Great for giving you the knowledge and certification needed to do simple internal software like custom mini-tools to do things, or custom ticketing system and such, or do website maintenance, etc.

Software Engineer / Computer Science is where it is at. Those are in high demand, and requires a good education (hence why it is not really outsourced, when it is done, it shows left and right). It must be noted that doing either degrees, especially Computer Science, is not easy. Knowing programming languages in advance doesn't really help. It helps your programming classes sure, but those are actually few in your degree. The rest requires hard work.

If it was easy, then there would be no lack of need.

What gets your first job out of university, or internship:

-> Personal Projects, personal projects, and more personal projects. Best way to show your skills, knowledge, show that you are really interested in software developing, show your originality.

-> Good grade. If you want to go in medical field to any level or financial, they want grade more than anything.

Hope this helps

I have been looking at college courses around me and cant find anything for software developers, only software engineers. Are these the same thing?

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

yes, for the only exception engineers get a wider field of knowledge and get paid better

basically developers can only serve as code monkeys

engineers can do coding, analysis, planning, testing, architecture and god knows what else

usually you don't get a degree in development you get a certificate of developer instead,

engineers get a degree

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

yes, for the only exception engineers get a wider field of knowledge and get paid better

basically developers can only serve as code monkeys

engineers can do coding, analysis, planning, testing, architecture and god knows what else

usually you don't get a degree in development you get a certificate of developer instead,

engineers get a degree

could you point me to what you mean as a certificate of developer? thanks for your answer!

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

could you point me to what you mean as a certificate of developer? thanks for your answer!

I see you're from USA,

I'm not, we have a different education structure in Latvia basically what you are calling a college Is a University in here

and we use the word "college" for something that people that get bad marks in 9th grade go to get professional education and a qualification certificate so they can get a some kind of a job.

people that don't want to quite make a cross on their career this early continue the education in school for another three years and then enroll in a university to get a bachelors degree followed a masters degree and a doctorate.

If you're still in school maybe you have some person that's called  a career consultant, they are a mandatory personnel in schools where I live.

They are supposed to guide people on what kind of path they should seek out.

Or basically try to do a google search on MSDN certification and something called Microsoft Virtual Academy,

if you don't want to enroll into uni

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

I see you're from USA,

I'm not, we have a different education structure in Latvia basically what you are calling a college Is a University in here

and we use the word "college" for something that people that get bad marks in 9th grade go to get professional education and a qualification certificate so they can get a some kind of a job.

people that don't want to quite make a cross on their career this early continue the education in school for another three years and then enroll in a university to get a bachelors degree followed a masters degree and a doctorate.

If you're still in school maybe you have some person that's called  a career consultant, they are a mandatory personnel in schools where I live.

They are supposed to guide people on what kind of path they should seek out.

Or basically try to do a google search on MSDN certification and something called Microsoft Virtual Academy,

if you don't want to enroll into uni

ok thanks :)

Both are exactly the same, and get you the exact same wage.

@DXMember is confusing Programmer, and Software Engineer/Developer.

Programmer code what he/she is given. It requires a high-School degree to apply to a program that gives you a certification in the field.

A software developer/engineer code, but also do research. It also has a much better grasp at doing optimized code for the system it is targeted to operate, and consider in which way the software should be optimized. He/She can also adapt him/her self to a variety of programming languages on the fly, and target systems.

In the work field, usually Software Engineer/Developer, as called Software Engineers. You have sub titles (prefix), such as Junior Software Engineers, Software Engineers, and Senior Software Engineers. Larger companies sometimes uses levels instead or in mixture, but this is more for wage bracket separation for smaller brackets per levels, so that your wage is associated better with your lower risk level, and more valuable you are in the company as your knowledge increases.

But, usually people that does Computer Science, will call themselves: Software Developers.

And Software Engineers will call themselves: Software Engineer in Training (they only get to call themselves "Software Engineer" officially if they pass the province or state Engineer certification process, and only then, they are an Engineer only in that state/province. About the mass majority of Computer related field engineers doesn't bother doing it, because it is a waste of money, time, has no value beside the title (and you have a yearly fee to pay), and doesn't give you a higher wage, because companies sees no value. It is like: You need 5 year experience under the watch of an actual engineer to certify you, then do a test that shows that indeed you can software development. Congrats already proven to any company that you can do that pretty well with 3 years of experience. It doesn't measure your knowledge (for example, as you knowledgeable in VR, in drivers, games, etc.), so totally worthless, and tech field moves too fast to matter.

Computer Science and Software Engineer degree are identical as well. Technically, Computer Science is more focused on research and optimization, while Software Engineer is more focused on adaptability of systems. In the work field you need both. So you learn it as you go in the field, whichever is missing to you.

ah... GB is right, I did confuse those two

his description is more accurate

I have called myself all three (programmer, developer and engineer), there isn't really a useful distinction between them.

Both are exactly the same, and get you the exact same wage.

@DXMember is confusing Programmer, and Software Engineer/Developer.

Programmer code what he/she is given. It requires a high-School degree to apply to a program that gives you a certification in the field.

A software developer/engineer code, but also do research. It also has a much better grasp at doing optimized code for the system it is targeted to operate, and consider in which way the software should be optimized. He/She can also adapt him/her self to a variety of programming languages on the fly, and target systems.

In the work field, usually Software Engineer/Developer, as called Software Engineers. You have sub titles (prefix), such as Junior Software Engineers, Software Engineers, and Senior Software Engineers. Larger companies sometimes uses levels instead or in mixture, but this is more for wage bracket separation for smaller brackets per levels, so that your wage is associated better with your lower risk level, and more valuable you are in the company as your knowledge increases.

But, usually people that does Computer Science, will call themselves: Software Developers.

And Software Engineers will call themselves: Software Engineer in Training (they only get to call themselves "Software Engineer" officially if they pass the province or state Engineer certification process, and only then, they are an Engineer only in that state/province. About the mass majority of Computer related field engineers doesn't bother doing it, because it is a waste of money, time, has no value beside the title (and you have a yearly fee to pay), and doesn't give you a higher wage, because companies sees no value. It is like: You need 5 year experience under the watch of an actual engineer to certify you, then do a test that shows that indeed you can software development. Congrats already proven to any company that you can do that pretty well with 3 years of experience. It doesn't measure your knowledge (for example, as you knowledgeable in VR, in drivers, games, etc.), so totally worthless, and tech field moves too fast to matter.

Computer Science and Software Engineer degree are identical as well. Technically, Computer Science is more focused on research and optimization, while Software Engineer is more focused on adaptability of systems. In the work field you need both. So you learn it as you go in the field, whichever is missing to you.

So any suggestion on if i should even go to college for one of them? If so which? or should i just get certifications? ( a+,network+,security+ ect.

Computer Science and Software Engineer are both University degrees (I guess you call them College in the U.S), basically a Bachelor degree.

Programmer are not in demand, especially that these days they just outsource thing to other countries, and websites are fairly complicated that even web programming requires more advanced skills, especially with phones (I am talking about web apps, and nice animated sites with lots of database queries and such, like a big website). Not by itself anyways. You can use it as a degree to compliment an IT degree, for example. Great for giving you the knowledge and certification needed to do simple internal software like custom mini-tools to do things, or custom ticketing system and such, or do website maintenance, etc.

Software Engineer / Computer Science is where it is at. Those are in high demand, and requires a good education (hence why it is not really outsourced, when it is done, it shows left and right). It must be noted that doing either degrees, especially Computer Science, is not easy. Knowing programming languages in advance doesn't really help. It helps your programming classes sure, but those are actually few in your degree. The rest requires hard work.

-> Personal Projects, personal projects, and more personal projects. Best way to show your skills, knowledge, show that you are really interested in software developing, show your originality.

-> Good grade. If you want to go in medical field to any level or financial, they want grade more than anything.

Hope this helps

Programmer are not in demand, especially that these days they just outsource thing to other countries, and websites are fairly complicated that even web programming requires more advanced skills, especially with phones. Not by itself anyways. You can use it as a degree to compliment an IT degree, for example. Great for giving your the knowledge and certification needed to do simple internal software like custom mini-tools to do things, or custom ticketing system and such, or do website maintenance, etc.

Hope this helps

yes very much so. Thank you!