4 pole headset plugged into 3 pole headphone jack?

Trixanity
Go to solution Solved by ALwin,

You can try looking for an adapter that will split your 4-pole headphone jack into 2 separate jacks, one for line out, the other for line in (mic).

There is no way to solve this with software because each pole serves a different purpose.  One for GND (Ground), one for Left, One for Right and one for Mic.  It's the physical electrical circuit connection.

post-243744-0-04400700-1448827303.png

The other way around works fine but this particular setup just doesn't work.

A family member only has a headset she got with her phone but she's trying to watch Netflix on her laptop. Laptop is an HP Pavilion with 2 regular headphone jack and a microphone jack (strange by today's standards with only combo jacks).

The headset is plugged into the headphone jack. It plays audio but the channel separation is a bit weird I'd say and dialog is completely muffled like if you had a surround setup with a dead center channel. It's only barely perceptible that the dialog is spoken and you can clearly see the subtitles for reference.

Actually she had two of these headsets. She also has an older one with a call button. If she presses and holds this, the audio actually sounds fine. Quite strange but it's obviously annoying and difficult to binge on Netflix while holding a button pressed for hours.

Obviously there is a hardware compatability issue. Is there a way to work around it with software? I know the obvious solution is to buy regular 3 pole headphones but I'd like to avoid a solution involving money.

You can try looking for an adapter that will split your 4-pole headphone jack into 2 separate jacks, one for line out, the other for line in (mic).

There is no way to solve this with software because each pole serves a different purpose.  One for GND (Ground), one for Left, One for Right and one for Mic.  It's the physical electrical circuit connection.

post-243744-0-04400700-1448827303.png

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

The fault is electrical, you can't solve it without an adaptor.

EDIT: My turtle beach headset uses the same connector, so I know about this kind of thing.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

You would need something like this to split it off, or an adapter (without the mic jack part) that basically dead ends the mic pole on your headphone and only passes through the other 3 poles.

2-in-1-Audio-adapter-cable-3-5mm-male-3-

74-6879_01.jpg

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I figured :-/ but thought it was worth a shot considering that the call button fixes it temporarily.

I think with shipping prices and all, I might as well buy a cheapo in ear solution for insured compatibility.

I've burned myself before when buying adapters to do the opposite (to convert separate headphone and mic jacks into one for use with combo jack), which didn't work properly.

Thanks for the answers!