are all stock cpu coolers the same

pyr0

I have a 3rd gen dual core pentium with a stock heatsink. I am upgrading to an i5 4690k but I am on a tight budget. I can save £30 if I get one without a cooler so I am wondering if this 3rd gen pentium cooler will adequately cool my 4690k? I am happy to underclock as I will only use it for about a month

Thanks in advance

I think every 4690k comes with a stock cooler.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

The 4690K comes with a stock cooler.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

but I can get a oem version that comes without a  cooler. would the pentium cooler work?

The recent stock coolers for 4th gen cpu's have been pretty good and holding the temperatures decently well.

Still wouldn't recommend overclocking them but the paste and installation of the heatsink improved a lot.

EDIT:

Yes it should fit, they have the same mounting holes.

but I can get a oem version that comes without a  cooler. would the pentium cooler work?

I wouldn't get OEMs and the stock cooler might work

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

What does the stock cooler look like? If the mounting is the same, it should work.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

There's usually 3:

1 With an aluminum base

1 With a copper base but less fins

1 With a copper base and more fins

The pentiums usually have copper base less fins

should be fine

Yes, it would work but they are not the same. The 4690k comes with a beefier cooler. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.