Is there that much of a difference between 12mp and 16mp?

minimalist

I want to get a new phone and I'm thinking about the LG V10, Nexus 6P, and then maybe the LG G5 when I can see the official specs and phone itself.

I really want the Nexus 6P because I want a clean OS. My question is, I've gotten into taking a lot more photos so is there that much of a difference?

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

Depends on camera and other factors.

It isn't just "MOAR MP = BETTUR"

Best Bench Runs & 24/7 Rig

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

yeah theres a 4MP difference

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Depends on camera and other factors.

It isn't just "MOAR MP = BETTUR"

Well that's why I came here. I was hoping someone would know. If it was more MP = better I wouldn't have needed to come here, it would be obvious.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

yeah theres a 4MP difference

You're so helpful!

MKBHD has reviews of each phone and talks a lot about the cameras in each.

Does he ever compare the 2? I've seen the videos and I guess I just don't know enough about cameras to tell which one would be better. I've seen his videos on both but never walked away knowing if one clearly had a better camera.

I wouldn't pick a phone based on the camera since it's such a small percentage of your phone usage.

Usually lower MP sensors gather light better because the pixels are larger, and high MP produce more detail in high lighting.

With the size and quality of phone lenses, I'd say it's a wash and I'd buy for the phone features myself. I have a real camera for real photos when needed.

I wouldn't pick a phone based on the camera

That's where your comment should've ended.  B)  Regarding choosing a phone.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Usually lower MP sensors gather light better because the pixels are larger, and high MP produce more detail in high lighting.

lol based on your analysis the 0.3 mp webcam on my old HP laptop should be a low light BEAST!

but obv thats dumb cuz there are different sensor sizes. 

personally i'd get the g5 cuz it has the biggest sensor with OIS and it's the cheapest phone

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

I want to get a new phone and I'm thinking about the LG V10, Nexus 6P, and then maybe the LG G5 when I can see the official specs and phone itself.

I really want the Nexus 6P because I want a clean OS. My question is, I've gotten into taking a lot more photos so is there that much of a difference?

Wait for reviews and see actual image examples.

Firmware, Optics, Sensor all are important, and not changeable on a phone (well, maybe firmware but....yknow). MP numbers are the least of your worries to be honest - it's not like your making some BA art gallery pics from them after heavy editing. 

I based my phone choice with camera very high on the list. But then again, I also have a nice normal camera. Any of the phones you listed are going to have decent cameras. If you really wanna start getting into photography, you can always upgrade to a decent camera later as well. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200