DIY Live Streaming Backpack

Woah, hell yeah! Didn't see this coming.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

*click*

noice

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

@nicklmg why do you always post so late?! its like 11 o clock and your still working?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

@nicklmg why do you always post so late?! its like 11 o clock and your still working?

Most days I don't get a final export until after 6pm. Sticking to a daily release schedule at a consistent time is tough, and this timeslot allows for potential errors and delays to be resolved before our videos are supposed to post.

Most days I don't get a final export until after 6pm. Sticking to a daily release schedule at a consistent time is tough, and this timeslot allows for potential errors and delays to be resolved before our videos are supposed to post.

:<

I tested a rig way back , using a DC60 usb capture card from syntek but did not have unlimited data plan so I let go of the project.

Regarding the battery life of the gear, it is not necessary to soooo much juice, because no coverage last for hours and hours, so adding so much weight for power can be a disadvantage for the reporter.

And a nicer and more appropriate improvement that I believe would be nice, after much thought about it, it to pipe your stream to a base station somewhere, your office or news station, and have them to bounce the stream over to streaming platforms, in that way, nobody can hijack your stream on the road, and the stream can still get going if your backpack connection fails as your station would normally be still connected to the Internet and may broadcast a technical-difficulty slate.

P.S : For the issue of taking the laptop in and out, you can strap the laptop to your body with those body mount laptop gears and fold it over. You can also use small form factor laptops or Livestream's Broadcaster device, that can reasonably be dubbed and all-in-one device.

Edited by IrshaadAbdool

I'm a broadcast engineer at a television and they have actually done something very similar but on a professional level to this. We use something called a Dejero, but there are other ones out there like LiveU and TVU. They basically have a mini computer built into a backpack or case that uses large batteries and a series of cellular/wireless cards. The main reason we can't build our own is that in order to send video in areas with low cellular signals they have to use multiple connections so their software is what is important. It automatically spreads the video stream across the multiple bandwidths and then pieces it back together with usually a 6 second delay or so. Also, most of these companies allow you to use an Apple device with an app to stream to the main server at the station so that if someone is at breaking news and wants to share with us they can. So television stations have actually started to do it this way instead of a van. The only down side to not having a van is that you cant use a production grade audio and video switcher that has the ability to insert graphics on the fly before it is sent to the station. Just some food for thought from a man on the inside.

As for a capture card I wouldn't be using any of the dreaded "big name" cards, they tend to either break down, have massive delays or just lack in functionality overall.

One USB capture I've had the pleasure of using is the Micomsoft Xcapture-1 USB 3.0.

It's a USB card based on the Micomsoft SC512-N1 which is the very same card I use for my own capture needs.

It's a bit pricey, but you can capture anything with a video output.

See the link for a review: http://www.thethrillness.com/2015/08/micomsoft-xcapture-1-review.html

PC 1 Workstation/Gaming: Intel i7 5820K, GTX 980 SLI 16GB DDR4
PC 2 Capture/Stream: Intel i7 5820K, GTX 970, 32GB DDR4

Capture card: SC-512N1-L/DVI

Mixer: Behringer X2222USB

Consoles: Mountain of retro stuff

Loved this video, concept I haven´t seen before that works and offers a significant improvement. I would love to see thousands of small live news channels run by few enthusiasts and this setup works and isn´t unrealistically expensive. Amazing video, finally I have a favorite video of 2015 from LTT :) .

So does someone have the VODs from this stream?

Spoiler
Spoiler

Obligatory PC specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Storage: ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500GB
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB G1
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W

Spoiler
If you are new please read the CoC!

Please FOLLOW YOUR OWN THREADS!

Quote people when replying to them.

PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR DARK THEME USERS.

Mark your problem as solved if answered and like all helpful information.

DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES(!) just type -pic- or tag them as spoiler.

Don't criticize people for asking "stupid question".

There is actually a hidden search feature on the forums here: Search 

IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU'RE A FANBOY/FANGIRL. WHAT MATTERS IS THAT YOU DON'T LET THAT EFFECT YOUR HARDWARE RECOMMENDATIONS.

DO NOT POST SPAM!

There are a way more practical solutions that exist for mobile reporting/livestreaming.  Teradek makes a few different small battery powered h264 encoders boxes that you can plug a 4g modem into and broadcast HD video from an HDMI source, they can mount right on a camera.  No need for a bulky laptop/capture device/portable battery setup.  They even make ones that take multiple 4g modems to bond the feed over multiple mobile carriers.

What type of battery was that, which had the AC output? Would love to pick up one of those.