Canadians! I have a question.

kels

Should I consider moving to Toronto?

[spoiler=Current Rig] N/A

Should I consider moving to Toronto?

What reasons do you have for moving to Toronto? TBH, the traffic sucks (your daily commute will be a giant pain in the ass), rent is high, and to be honest I would prefer not to live there.  Sure, there are more things available to you, but It's just not worth it for me.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Depends on your reasons for moving here.  I can tell you from personal experience that living in Toronto can be a pain in the ass.  Our traffic is the worst in North America and the city's politics are an absolute shitstorm.  However, there are positive things about the city too.  It's very diverse, and there's many things to explore. 

Up to you, but if you want more insight - I can give!  :)

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

Depends on your reasons for moving here.  I can tell you from personal experience that living in Toronto can be a pain in the ass.  Our traffic is the worst in North America and the city's politics are an absolute shitstorm.  However, there are positive things about the city too.  It's very diverse, and there's many things to explore. 

Up to you, but if you want more insight - I can give!  :)

I'm actually relatively interested to hear- you see I'm from one of the larger cities in Sweden and I'm used to traffic, but I'm more focused on economic and community differences. Other than that, I'm just kind of tired of the society that Sweden has to offer and I'd like to move somewhere that's more friendly to people and less shy among one another. 

[spoiler=Current Rig] N/A

I'm actually relatively interested to hear- you see I'm from one of the larger cities in Sweden and I'm used to traffic, but I'm more focused on economic and community differences. Other than that, I'm just kind of tired of the society that Sweden has to offer and I'd like to move somewhere that's more friendly to people and less shy among one another. 

if you're looking for that, maybe move to a slightly smaller city? Because I've found in Toronto people aren't all that friendly overall.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

One of the larger cities outside of Toronto might offer you a better sense of "communal spirit" so to speak. Lots of people in Toronto are super nice, but lots are also not nice too. The city is so large that you might not notice all the nice people.

Toronto has pretty excellent transit, the TTC has pretty good bus systems and a subway. The city is super diverse. Living there is expensive, but the average wage is higher too. If you can get a nice well paying job, and you enjoy taking transit over driving, then Toronto can be excellent.

I prefer where I live (Kitchener, which is part of the "Kitchener-Waterloo region", which comprises of 3 different cities that are all literally right beside each other). The transit here is still pretty good (No subway though), and next year a new Light Rail Transit system will come online, that will allow rapid transit between the far ends of the city. It's also small enough that driving isn't ridiculous.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Canada has a lower speed limit!.

im sure it feels normal to you guys

but over in michigan.

where 70mph actually means 80-85+mph minimum . 

(110km/h)                               (  130klm/h)

and every time go to canada, it just feels weird. 

Canada has a lower speed limit!.

im sure it feels normal to you guys

but over in michigan.

where 70mph actually means 80-85+mph minimum . 

(110km/h)                               (  130klm/h)

and every time go to canada, it just feels weird. 

True, Canada does have lower speed limits - especially on our 400-series Highways (Equivalent of US Interstates), where the limit is 100 km/h (60 mph-ish). Standard highways in Canada usually have a speed limit of 80 km/h (about 50 mph), which is infuriatingly slow.

MOST people speed. On a regular highway I usually drive at minimum, 90 km/h. On the 400-series highways, I tend to drive 120 km/h (75 mph or so). I usually don't go faster then that, since your fuel efficiency starts to exponentially tank over that speed, given the increased air resistance, among other things.

I don't think people should drive over 140 km/h (85 mph) since that's just getting ridiculously dangerous. You're going so fast that your reaction time is simply too slow to react if someone slams their brakes in front of you, or if you need to swerve out of the way of something.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Toronto has the Maple Leafs. No need for more reasoning to move somewhere else there than that.

A GOOD chunk of the freeways here are grid like 

like it is straight for 30 miles.

thats where people go the fastest.

True, Canada does have lower speed limits - especially on our 400-series Highways (Equivalent of US Interstates), where the limit is 100 km/h (60 mph-ish). Standard highways in Canada usually have a speed limit of 80 km/h (about 50 mph), which is infuriatingly slow.

MOST people speed. On a regular highway I usually drive at minimum, 90 km/h. On the 400-series highways, I tend to drive 120 km/h (75 mph or so). I usually don't go faster then that, since your fuel efficiency starts to exponentially tank over that speed, given the increased air resistance, among other things.

I don't think people should drive over 140 km/h (85 mph) since that's just getting ridiculously dangerous. You're going so fast that your reaction time is simply too slow to react if someone slams their brakes in front of you, or if you need to swerve out of the way of something.

In my experience, driving on the 401 (I live in Pickering) it can be dangerous to just go 100 km/h, and I go about 120.  Everyone is driving between 110-130 km/h.  Generally you won't get pulled over for that.

And in my experience, everyone on the 407 (if you're willing to pay the ridiculous toll) drives 130-140.

Overall, the communities across Canada are pretty nice to each other.  I mean Toronto like any other city has nice people, and not-so-nice people.  I think that overall it's a nice city and if you surround yourself with the right people (as in don't move to west Scarborough) and take GO Transit you'll like living here!  :)

There are differences between Sweden and Canada though.  I mean don't you guys get paid to go to school there?  Here you're paying anywhere between $40,000 to $80,000 for post-secondary alone over 4 years.  And our rent is ridiculously high along with our electricity rates.

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

One of the larger cities outside of Toronto might offer you a better sense of "communal spirit" so to speak. Lots of people in Toronto are super nice, but lots are also not nice too. The city is so large that you might not notice all the nice people.

Toronto has pretty excellent transit, the TTC has pretty good bus systems and a subway. The city is super diverse. Living there is expensive, but the average wage is higher too. If you can get a nice well paying job, and you enjoy taking transit over driving, then Toronto can be excellent.

I prefer where I live (Kitchener, which is part of the "Kitchener-Waterloo region", which comprises of 3 different cities that are all literally right beside each other). The transit here is still pretty good (No subway though), and next year a new Light Rail Transit system will come online, that will allow rapid transit between the far ends of the city. It's also small enough that driving isn't ridiculous.

From what I hear this is the most ideal location currently, explains why there's lots of immigration there. It's sort of like toronto but on a smaller scale. Been there before.

yes, there is a great overclocking meet there every year. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016