Anything I should do about my 980ti/4790k build, or is it good to go?

PARTS (permalink here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BvjBMp):

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BvjBMp
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BvjBMp/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($334.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($92.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($40.80 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($81.61 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($649.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ NZXT)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($83.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($281.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1661.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-28 22:55 EST-0500

Things I might change:

-I might get a 970 instead of a 980ti, it's a big difference but saving money helps (if I did so I'd get 16gb RAM, if not I'll upgrade from 8 to 16gb sometime soon)

-I can't decide if I should spend more for a Black/red case b/c my graphics card and RAM are red

-My mobo has been reported to have issues on Newegg, many people say it just died after use, though to be fair I don't intend to OC much (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132118&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction)

What do you guys think? I personally am really happy w/ this build, and the monitor is fantastic, though I'd need to change the colors from the factory default.

Edit: I have a hard price limit of $1675.

Edit: I already have an HDD and I'll get a keyboard separately b/c a local store has a deal.

Edit: You guys were super helpful, thank you so much!

I'd upgrade it to Skylake.

Marginal performance games in lots of games, comes out to roughly the same price.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

drop the CPU to a i5

go with better sticks of RAM

get a better monitor

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Dont get a single 8 gb stick... ram is cheap as shit now, get 2x8gb sticks

Yeah I want to get another 8gb stick in like a month, I just have a cap at $1675 at the moment.

For starters, I recommend getting a better cpu cooler. that ones alright, but for a $1600 dollar build I say get a $50-100 dollar one.

As for ram either get two 4gb ram sticks or two 8gb sticks. 1 stick of ram on a quad channel mobo isn't ideal.

As for storage I'm assuming you already have a hdd, if not get at least a 1TB WD blue drive for $50.

For gpu depending on how big into gaming you are you could just get a normal gtx 980, which is a great card and like $200 less.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

Get rid of the hideous CPU cooler and get something that looks nice in a sleek case like the Cryorig H7.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Marginal performance games in lots of games, comes out to roughly the same price.

I crunched the numbers and while I'd love to, I'd be spending about $100 more b/w Skylake and a compatible mobo. :/

I disagree though. Judging off prices I've seen recently, a 6700k is 100 more than a 4790k, at around $400+. And it's not like a 4790k is obsolete or shit. It's a great cpu.

I'd get another stick of ram.. but if your planning to do so later then thats fine aswell. Just always good to have more then one stick. DONT upgrade to skylake. Not worth it and way to many problems with after market coolers. Looks good to me! 

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

drop the CPU to a i5

go with better sticks of RAM

get a better monitor

What CPU would you say I should grab? I want to play games obviously but also use programs like PS, AI, and CAD programs, which IIRC can take advantage of the benefits of an i7.

Do you mean more RAM? I intend to do that after I build it. If you meant better, who makes better RAM?

The monitor is the best 144hz for the price according to my research, I'd like to keep it.

Get rid of the hideous CPU cooler and get something that looks nice in a sleek case like the Cryorig H7.

That's a really good idea, thank you. :) How reputable is that company and cooler? I don't know much about them.

Not worth it and way to many problems with after market coolers. Looks good to me! 

Most of that just has to deal with people over tightening them done, and/or using mechanical screw drivers.

For starters, I recommend getting a better cpu cooler. that ones alright, but for a $1600 dollar build I say get a $50-100 dollar one.

As for ram either get two 4gb ram sticks or two 8gb sticks. 1 stick of ram on a quad channel mobo isn't ideal.

As for storage I'm assuming you already have a hdd, if not get at least a 1TB WD blue drive for $50.

For gpu depending on how big into gaming you are you could just get a normal gtx 980, which is a great card and like $200 less.

What cooler would you say? I know jack shit about cooling.

Yeah I'll upgrade RAM soon.

I have another HDD.

The problem w/ the 980 is that it has less performance/price than the 970 and 980ti, so I consider it a waste of money comparatively. I looked at the benchmarks and it performs marginally better than the 970 while still considerably below the 980ti.

I disagree though. Judging off prices I've seen recently, a 6700k is 100 more than a 4790k, at around $400+. And it's not like a 4790k is obsolete or shit. It's a great cpu.

Yeah I came to the same conclusion.

What CPU would you say I should grab? I want to play games obviously but also use programs like PS, AI, and CAD programs, which IIRC can take advantage of the benefits of an i7.

Do you mean more RAM? I intend to do that after I build it. If you meant better, who makes better RAM?

The monitor is the best 144hz for the price according to my research, I'd like to keep it.

Photoshop and CAD programs uses more of the GPU power than the CPU power

the 4690K is still a good CPU for 100 dollars less

Corsair Vengence or GSkill 16GB Kits are worth the price

Kingston Hyper X Fury do look nice with the heat spreaders

I dont know, I am using a TN panel and IMO the color looks crap to me and i want to change to a IPS screen

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

no, the Hyper 212 evo is fine, did you see the LG UW build linus did? it was a like 3k pc with one

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler  ($32.88 @ Amazon) 

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($92.98 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($81.49 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($649.99 @ B&H) 

Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($63.99 @ Directron) 

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($259.99 @ B&H) 

Total: $1652.28

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-28 23:15 EST-0500

The h7 is a GREAT cooler. But it seems out of stock. Got a similar cooler by the same company,

Photoshop and CAD programs uses more of the GPU power than the CPU power

the 4690K is still a good CPU for 100 dollars less

Corsair Vengence or GSkill 16GB Kits are worth the price

Kingston Hyper X Fury do look nice with the heat spreaders

I dont know, I am using a TN panel and IMO the color looks crap to me and i want to change to a IPS screen

Good point about PS/CAD. I might look at benchmarks and see if a downgrade would hurt much, ty for the input.

Yeah I was considering Vengeance, but HyperX Furys are barely more expensive.

Look up a different ICC profile. For the monitor I want at least I heard you can download some good ICC profiles to make the colors look better.

no, the Hyper 212 evo is fine, did you see the LG UW build linus did? it was a like 3k pc with one

From what I've heard it's great for the price, yeah. Since I don't intend to OC much if at all, I see no reason to get another one (unless it's only a little more).

Good point about PS/CAD. I might look at benchmarks and see if a downgrade would hurt much, ty for the input.

Yeah I was considering Vengeance, but HyperX Furys are barely more expensive.

Look up a different ICC profile. For the monitor I want at least I heard you can download some good ICC profiles to make the colors look better.

well i do need a color accurate monitor as i have photos to process from my photography hobby

the photos are for my users or friends

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler  ($32.88 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($92.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($81.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($649.99 @ B&H) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($63.99 @ Directron) 
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($259.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $1652.28
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-28 23:15 EST-0500

The h7 is a GREAT cooler. But it seems out of stock. Got a similar cooler by the same company,

Dude you just simultaneously improved my build and realized a huge flaw: I don't need a 750W PSU. Thank you so much!

How reliable is Cryorig? I said it earlier in the thread but I know nothing about cooling.

What cooler would you say? I know jack shit about cooling.

Yeah I'll upgrade RAM soon.

I have another HDD.

The problem w/ the 980 is that it has less performance/price than the 970 and 980ti, so I consider it a waste of money comparatively. I looked at the benchmarks and it performs marginally better than the 970 while still considerably below the 980ti.

As for the cooler, Noctua makes really good air coolers, judging by all I've seen and heard. the Noctua NH-D14 being a good one http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd14

As for the 980, I read articles that some time soon nvidia is going to be lowering the prices of most of the 900 series (except 980 ti i believe), and the 980 will cost closer to $400 i hear.

For some reason though part prices cost more than they're really worth in my opinion. Most likely due to the holidays, before I could find a 6700k for late 300's now it's in early 400's. Also before I saw 980's that were in mid-late 400's.

I still defend the 980 though. that's my current gpu and I game a lot on it and can play on very high settings @1080p in almost all games. (I was able to max out star wars battlefront beta, and can play dragon age inquisition with everything on ultra. however for DA:I it fluctuates more between 45-60fps

I crunched the numbers and while I'd love to, I'd be spending about $100 more b/w Skylake and a compatible mobo. :/

I forgot prices got so inflated, sorry...

I think Supply is low on them, saying as its almost 200$ more than the i5 6600K...

If you wait long enough to buy it it's price will probably equal out.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha