Turning A Dell Workstation into a Gaming Rig

+Recover

I was wondering if it is possible to get a dell computer and put like a 980 in it.

it's always possible to put a 980 in it but it probably won't work

Why Not

it's always possible to put a 980 in it but it probably won't work

Why not? As long as you upgrade the PSU and it has an pci-e slot on the mobo you're good to go.

But the cpu might be a bottleneck depending on what pc you take.

I mean.. You'd have to upgrade the PSU and case first.

My sister has a 4770 in a Dell XPS, alongside a GT 730. I would upgrade it, but the PSU doesn't have the connectors, and the case doesn't have enough airflow for any kind of decent GPU.

I used to be quite active here.

If it's a sff Dell the maximum you will go is gonna be a gtx 750 ti...

If you have a full sized dell, as long as you have a good PSU only the sky is the limit

Hope this helps.

I tried putting a 390x into a older dell H67 Sandy Bridge motherboard once and it didn't end up working. Not the cards' fault, it works perfectly in my current machine. Lack of BIOS updates and other support things can make something like that a risky proposition.

Why not? As long as you upgrade the PSU and it has an pci-e slot on the mobo you're good to go.

But the cpu might be a bottleneck depending on what pc you take.

... That's more than just putting in a 980...

Plus my School uses Dell Work Stations with cases too small to fit full size PCI-E cards.

@OP Depends. If it has PCI-E Slots, enough watts, and is big enough.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I was wondering if it is possible to get a dell computer and put like a 980 in it.

Buy a better psu, as well as a 750ti. Instant 1080p gaming rig.

Tokyo Sunshine:Corsair 750d case with custom lighting, Asus ROG Maximus VIII Z170, Intel i5-6600 processor, 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4 RAM, MSI r9 270x 4gb@ 1300mhz mem clock, Sandisk Ultra II SSD 256gb, 2x 1tb HDD

But is it worth it guys, if I got a Dell computer with an solid processor, 8GB of RAM, and everything else I needed is it worth getting a new PSU, case and a graphics card as opposed to building one with gaming components? I feel like it would be more trouble. 

Just built it yourself and save some money 

But is it worth it guys, if I got a Dell computer with an solid processor, 8GB of RAM, and everything else I needed is it worth getting a new PSU, case and a graphics card as opposed to building one with gaming components? I feel like it would be more trouble. 

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s