Is emulating disk drives a thing?

Timmy-P
Go to solution Solved by Guest Gabbs,

So I could rip an .iso out of a disk, mount it to Windows, then launch the game like that?

Yes. It will make 1 file and it will act like a virtual drive, provided the CD or DVD you are making the ISO from doesn't have some sort of copy protection.

Title.  I've figured that it's easy to use software to trick Windows into thinking you're doing x when you're doing z, what with Logitech's software thinking I'm using a keyboard on my mouse, and with X360CE being able to trick games into thinking your joystick or steering wheel is an Xbox 360 controller.  I figured the notion of copying files from a physical copy of an old game to your drive and loading the game from there instead of having to load off of the disk drive itself would be possible, and maybe beneficial.  I just don't know where to start when it comes to this stuff.  Where would I obtain the software if this is possible, and/or can this be done in Windows?

[witty signature]

ISO and IMG creating and mounting apps are your friend.

Winimage can take a floppy disk, make an img file and then you can just mount it.

Moved to OSes and Software.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Title.  I've figured that it's easy to use software to trick Windows into thinking you're doing x when you're doing z, what with Logitech's software thinking I'm using a keyboard on my mouse, and with X360CE being able to trick games into thinking your joystick or steering wheel is an Xbox 360 controller.  I figured the notion of copying files from a physical copy of an old game to your drive and loading the game from there instead of having to load off of the disk drive itself would be possible, and maybe beneficial.  I just don't know where to start when it comes to this stuff.  Where would I obtain the software if this is possible, and/or can this be done in Windows?

I use daemon tools lite to emulate a disk drive and play Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II (one of my favorite RTSs) all the time. useful tool since I no longer have an optical drive.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

ISO and IMG creating and mounting apps are your friend.

So I could rip an .iso out of a disk, mount it to Windows, then launch the game like that?

Moved to OSes and Software.

Ahh, thank you.  I didn't know where to put it.

I use daemon tools lite to emulate a disk drive and play Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II (one of my favorite RTSs) all the time. useful tool since I no longer have an optical drive.

Interesting... I hate to say it, but I'll look for free alternatives first, but if not I'll consider this.  Thanks for the suggestion.

[witty signature]

Yes. It will make 1 file and it will act like a virtual drive, provided the CD or DVD you are making the ISO from doesn't have some sort of copy protection.

Interesting... I hate to say it, but I'll look for free alternatives first, but if not I'll consider this.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Daemon Tools (Lite) is free to use on a personal "licence". Just watch your install and don't get caught by the little "Install search buddy!" prompts, there's usually two.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Ahh, thank you.  I didn't know where to put it.

the lite version is free. just watch out during installation to uncheck the sponsor crap as that other guy pointed out.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Alright, cool.  I'll look into it.  I hope the copyright won't kick in and stop me, lol.

Daemon Tools (Lite) is free to use on a personal "licence". Just watch your install and don't get caught by the little "Install search buddy!" prompts, there's usually two.

the lite version is free. just watch out during installation to uncheck the sponsor crap as that other guy pointed out.

Whoops, I missed that when looking on the page.  I'll take a look.

EDIT:  Yeah, found it, and installed it while dodging the adware crap, thanks for reminding me about that.

[witty signature]

Hate to double-quote, but I tried it on Battlefront 2 this morning and it worked like a charm!  Thanks!

[witty signature]

Hate to double-quote, but I tried it on Battlefront 2 this morning and it worked like a charm!  Thanks!

Awesome bro! Glad it worked out and thanks for reporting back :)

Awesome bro! Glad it worked out and thanks for reporting back :)

No problem.  I used Imgburn to get an image out of the main disc, then I right click > "Open with Windows Explorer" and it was loaded like a virtual drive like you said.

[witty signature]