New Build What should I go for I7 or I5 - 980 ti or 980

Hi All,

Please let me know any thoughts on the below, anything will be much appreciated as I am ready to buy all my parts now but can't make my mind up so I did what anyone would do.... Turn to Linus for help!

(Let me know if anything is missing i will look to fill in the gaps)

1. Budget & Location
Budget up to £2000 but I have just got a new case for Christmas I am looking to build into.

Case is an In Win 805, I am looking to go with a blue lit color scheme for the whole thing.

2. Aim

Used for Gaming mainly CS GO - GTA V - Arma 3 and some other current games along with streaming and video editing and rendering.

General internet use and to look pretty on my desk.

3. Monitors
One normal 1080P 60HZ monitor 24" with the occasional use of a 4K tv 55".

4. Peripherals
N/A - all sorted

5. Why are you upgrading?
Time for a new build - the old pc is going to a new home without its hard drives obviously.

I want something that will run all my games at max settings and run the occasional stream and record some videos.

The main problem I have is I can't decide to go for an I5 or I7 but I was looking to get a GTX 980 TI to go along with this setup.

Dont want to bottleneck anything either which is why I am  turning away slightly from the I5.

I would like to Overclock slightly to bring the speed of everything up.

I already have a 1TB SSD from my old pc which will have my games on and a 128GB SSD which will hold my OS both Samsung Evo's.

I want the best performance I can get but I am aware of the cooling restrictions this case presents so a corsair H100i was something I was looking into.

Any ideas for this build would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

i5 + 980 Ti.

Especially if your editing program is CUDA accelerated.

This build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£197.92 @ More Computers)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£109.84 @ More Computers)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£65.99 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card  (£558.62 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£129.59 @ Aria PC)
Total: £1061.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-27 20:51 GMT+0000

I didn't know if you had the Cooler or not If you don't then add it.

Windows can be from /r/Softwarreswap or something

Just realized how cheap that is... You can even go i7 if you want...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I recommend blue G skill memory, they look really good.

Ripjaws 4

also Waterforce edition of 980ti if you can...

Hi All,

Please let me know any thoughts on the below, anything will be much appreciated as I am ready to buy all my parts now but can't make my mind up so I did what anyone would do.... Turn to Linus for help!

(Let me know if anything is missing i will look to fill in the gaps)

1. Budget & Location

Budget up to £2000 but I have just got a new case for Christmas I am looking to build into.

Case is an In Win 805, I am looking to go with a blue lit color scheme for the whole thing.

2. Aim

Used for Gaming mainly CS GO - GTA V - Arma 3 and some other current games along with streaming and video editing and rendering.

General internet use and to look pretty on my desk.

3. Monitors

One normal 1080P 60HZ monitor 24" with the occasional use of a 4K tv 55".

4. Peripherals

N/A - all sorted

5. Why are you upgrading?

Time for a new build - the old pc is going to a new home without its hard drives obviously.

I want something that will run all my games at max settings and run the occasional stream and record some videos.

The main problem I have is I can't decide to go for an I5 or I7 but I was looking to get a GTX 980 TI to go along with this setup.

Dont want to bottleneck anything either which is why I am  turning away slightly from the I5.

I would like to Overclock slightly to bring the speed of everything up.

I already have a 1TB SSD from my old pc which will have my games on and a 128GB SSD which will hold my OS both Samsung Evo's.

I want the best performance I can get but I am aware of the cooling restrictions this case presents so a corsair H100i was something I was looking into.

Any ideas for this build would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

i7 + 980Ti cause rendering and editing and CUDA

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Since you mentioned streaming, I highly recommend an i7 4790K, (or Skylake, but that costs $400!, may as well get a 6-core X99 i7.) or the Xeon E3 1231 V3.  It will give you a big benefit over the i5 in maintaining a quality stream.  Far higher than a 980 Ti, (which I would recommend you get anyways.)

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

-snip-

It shouldn't be a problem to build a high end system with that budget. Because you already have your storage drives and case you can probably get an awesome build for less than 1000 GBP.

But before I can post a link to a PCPP list I need to know what your expectations are and if you actually want to play on that 4K TV.

I know that I wouldn't want to play on it, because of latency, so depending on that a mid range graphics card might okay. But if you want to drive that 4K resolution you won't get around a 980Ti and an i7.