EVGA GTX 970 or 960 and CX600M: How to power the card...

Nicko_barbeque

I have a CX600M PSU and it has 2 6 pin modular slots. I really want a Evga 960 or 970 yet I don't know how I will power it given I am using the 6 pin slots for powering my SSD and DVD drive. Please can someone help!!! If I can't power these cards is there a card that could work? Could i get an Evga card and use some sort of adapter? please help!

If you're using them for SSD/DVD drive you've connected them to the wrong input. Also change the psu asap to evga g2/gs/seasonic. It would have enough power for 970 though.

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

It uses the PCI-E connectors. Please don't tell me that your DVD drives and SSD drive is using those.

If you're using them for SSD/DVD drive you've connected them to the wrong input. Also change the psu asap to evga g2/gs/seasonic. It would have enough power for 970 though.

This is the modular connection at the back of the PSU, not the on the storage drives. SATA power tends to use a 6-pin connection on the PSU.

to answer the OP you use the 8 pin slots with 6+2 pin cables.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

I am using the 6 pin modular connection on the back of my PSU to power the SSD and DVD drive using the 6 pin to SATA power cords that came with it. I would prefer not to get a different PSU as this one is brand new... Is there a way to use another cord for the SATA power and get the 2 6pin modular conectors to work with a Evga 970 or 960?

I am using the 6 pin modular connection on the back of my PSU to power the SSD and DVD drive using the 6 pin to SATA power cords that came with it. I would prefer not to get a different PSU as this one is brand new... Is there a way to use another cord for the SATA power and get the 2 6pin modular conectors to work with a Evga 970 or 960?

there is a single 8 pin slot on the back of the PSU, use that. oh and you can plug multiple headers on the same cable into the same graphics card. (same goes for any other power cable with multiple headers)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

there is a single 8 pin slot on the back of the PSU, use that. oh and you can plug multiple headers on the same cable into the same graphics card. (same goes for any other power cable with multiple headers)

there is no 8 pin slot on my power supply.. 

lol just checked then and i think that I must be getting old :-) plenty of extra connectors that i didnt have! thanks guys :-)