What LGA 1150 boards can you oc on?

Z97 or Z87 chipset motherboards.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I'd lean towards Z97. Not terribly expensive.

I would too, but both Z87 and Z97 can OC officially, which is what OP asked. :)

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I'd lean towards Z97. Not terribly expensive.

Expensive for me might not be expensive for you. I only really have £50-60 to spend! Poor guy I know 

Its the whole tick tock intel thing.

No it's not. X is for LGA2011 and LGA2011-3 sockets. Z is for LGA1150 and LGA1151. And the same goes for the sockets before them.

No it's not. X is for LGA2011 and LGA2011-3 sockets. Z is for LGA1150 and LGA1151. And the same goes for the sockets before them.

I guess you forgot about Z170 and X58??? Like I said... its been X and Z forever, every socket its either Zs or Xs?

Thanks. I dont really like the gold bit. I'm going for a black and red build. Is there any way that I could paint the gold bits? 

Look at Linus' paint videos. It's not a fun process, I can't really recommend it.

You could try this, but it's a bit more expensive. Maybe wait for a sale?

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xgaming3

$100 or £92 where i'm from, isn't that steep for a mobo? 

Yes, that's why I said wait for a sale. Prices are weird this time of year.

I guess you forgot about Z170 and X58??? Like I said... its been X and Z forever, every socket its either Zs or Xs?

Umm, no I didn't. Z170 is the current chipset for LGA1151 -socket.

X58 is what I meant by 'the same goes for the sockets before them'. X58 was for LGA1366. But there has never been an X-chipset for the boards that have Z-chipsets and vice versa. The only time there ever was an X-chipset for mainstream sockets was during the late-LGA775 era way before there ever was a Z-chipset. Back then Intel only had the one LGA socket at a time. Since then there have been separate lines for servers/extreme (the X-chips and the LGA2xxx -sockets) and gaming/enthusiastic (the Z-chipsets and the LGA1xxx sockets)

But that was not my point. The point was that the sockets and the chipsets have nothing to do with Intel tick-tock -ideology. There have been ticks and tocks for all chipsets and all sockets. And not all of them are even LGA. Ticks and tocks go for laptops/netbooks and now for mobile too.

Umm, no I didn't. Z170 is the current chipset for LGA1151 -socket.

X58 is what I meant by 'the same goes for the sockets before them'. X58 was for LGA1366. But there has never been an X-chipset for the boards that have Z-chipsets and vice versa. The only time there ever was an X-chipset for mainstream sockets was during the late-LGA775 era way before there ever was a Z-chipset. Back then Intel only had the one LGA socket at a time. Since then there have been separate lines for servers/extreme (the X-chips and the LGA2xxx -sockets) and gaming/enthusiastic (the Z-chipsets and the LGA1xxx sockets)

But that was not my point. The point was that the sockets and the chipsets have nothing to do with Intel tick-tock -ideology. There have been ticks and tocks for all chipsets and all sockets. And not all of them are even LGA. Ticks and tocks go for laptops/netbooks and now for mobile too.

I never said there were X and Z on the same chipset. You read entirely too much into my comment on the tick tock, I know exactly what the tick tock roll outs are. You took a stab at me for entirely misunderstanding what I was saying.

A lot of it is simply the way Intel does things, since they roll out new tech in a tick tock roadmap they tend to code name things in a similar fashion, such as code names which then always have a second rendition with "-E", they could've named it anything they wanted to. Also the enthusiast chipsets having a Z or an X, it follows the pattern they've been doing for 10 years or more. Don't assume that I mean Z chipsets are always followed by Xs, you've had Z follow each other and you've had Xs follow each other too (X48, X58).... But even the code names of their architecture and chipsets somewhat of a back and forth pattern. You read entirely too much into my comment.

Good day sir.