What's the deal with DDR4?

Heyo, 

I'm wondering if an upgrade from 1600 MHz DDR3 to higher clocked DDR4 makes much of a difference in daily usage, gaming or anything else really. On the same note, does anyone know if my ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 motherboard is even compatible with DDR4 memory? Because I kind of doubt it. 

No, it's not compatible. DDR3 and DDR4 have different key notches and need and appropriate slot.

h2FSI.jpg

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Basically no performance difference, and that board is not compatible.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

No and no

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

DDR4 is faster and allows for more bandwidth. 

Your motherboard and entire platform are wholly incompatible with ddr4. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

DDR4 requires a different chipset. You would need to upgrade your CPU, motherboard and RAM. As far as the performance benefit, they are minimal atm. But, it is more "futureproof" as it will only become more common over time. I maxed out my motherboard's RAM now because I new upgrading later would be more costly, once DDR3 starts jumping in price due to rarity.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Well that was answered reasonably quickly. Thanks for the info yall!

On another note, funnily enough some 2400 MHz RAM happens to be cheaper than 2133 MHz. Would it make sense to get the 2400 and underclock it or is it not compatible if my board doesn't support it?

Well that was answered reasonably quickly. Thanks for the info yall!

On another note, funnily enough some 2400 MHz RAM happens to be cheaper than 2133 MHz. Would it make sense to get the 2400 and underclock it or is it not compatible if my board doesn't support it?

Check the RAM specs. Some offer multiple rated operating speeds.

While generally any RAM should be able to safely underclock, I would recommend you try finding the same brand and model of RAM you're currently using, unless you were planning on replacing all the DIMMs.

Compatibility can be weird sometimes so just make sure you're aware of the return policy before you buy. That's all I can add.

---

Check the RAM specs. Some offer multiple rated operating speeds.

While generally any RAM should be able to safely underclock, I would recommend you try finding the same brand and model of RAM you're currently using, unless you were planning on replacing all the DIMMs.

Compatibility can be weird sometimes so just make sure you're aware of the return policy before you buy. That's all I can add.

Yeah I wanted to replace mine with some higher clocked ones and put my old ones in my brothers build since I don't need more than 16 gigs. 

Yeah I wanted to replace mine with some higher clocked ones and put my old ones in my brothers build since I don't need more than 16 gigs. 

Just looked up the motherboard specs.

If you want to pick up a 16Gb dual-channel kit of 1866Mhz RAM, that might be the best option.

1866 tends to be the DDR3 sweet spot between speed and latency.

That's just my recommendation.

If you're still set on going for the cheaper 2400Mhz kit and having it underclock to 2133Mhz,

consider if the price difference is enough to make up for the potential time you might lose between returns and replacements if compatibility turns out to be an issue.

---

Just looked up the motherboard specs.

If you want to pick up a 16Gb dual-channel kit of 1866Mhz RAM, that might be the best option.

1866 tends to be the DDR3 sweet spot between speed and latency.

That's just my recommendation.

If you're still set on going for the cheaper 2400Mhz kit and having it underclock to 2133Mhz,

consider if the price difference is enough to make up for the potential time you might lose between returns and replacements if compatibility turns out to be an issue.

1866 MHz you say? I'll definetly keep that in mind when making my choice. Thanks a bunch. 

1866 MHz you say? I'll definetly keep that in mind when making my choice. Thanks a bunch. 

The typical latencies you find 1866 RAM at give it just that bit more of an edge.

Most of the time though, don't worry about it. RAM speeds only affect a very select few types of tasks and not the kind you'll run into often in your day to day.

---