Beyerdynamic COPs for Gaming?

MeltyMoon

Hey guys! This is my first plunge into high grade audio equipment, as I'm looking to replace my corsair vengeance 1500s. I'm mainly looking to use these and a modmic (the COP passthrough mic has been known to fail within a year of use) to create a high end gaming headset and I have a couple of questions. I'm looking to spend no more than $250 

1. Soundstage; I know these are closed headphones, so the soundstage and positional audio isn't going to be as good as something open air, but will the soundstage still be servicable for semi-pro counterstrike play? I couldn't really find any good open headphones aside from the audiotechnica 700 and 900x but I have read that the quality and durability of those cans is laughable. 

2. Impedence; Being they are only 16 ohm headphones, I don't think I would need an amp right?

3. Running them off of motherboard audio; For now I would like to run them off of my MSI GD80V2 audio chipset. This would be a realtek 7.1 surround ALC 892 powered chipset.

I would appreciate any input, recommendations, or questions you have! Thanks all :)

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

Hey guys! This is my first plunge into high grade audio equipment, as I'm looking to replace my corsair vengeance 1500s. I'm mainly looking to use these and a modmic (the COP passthrough mic has been known to fail within a year of use) to create a high end gaming headset and I have a couple of questions. I'm looking to spend no more than $250 

1. Soundstage; I know these are closed headphones, so the soundstage and positional audio isn't going to be as good as something open air, but will the soundstage still be servicable for semi-pro counterstrike play? I couldn't really find any good open headphones aside from the audiotechnica 700 and 900x but I have read that the quality and durability of those cans is laughable. 

2. Impedence; Being they are only 16 ohm headphones, I don't think I would need an amp right?

3. Running them off of motherboard audio; For now I would like to run them off of my MSI GD80V2 audio chipset. This would be a realtek 7.1 surround ALC 892 powered chipset.

I would appreciate any input, recommendations, or questions you have! Thanks all :)

1. Of closed back headphones, the COPs apparently have very good sound stage, with recessed vocals/mids and more bass (adjustable)

2. You don't need an amp, but if there is electrical noise from the motherboard, it will be more noticeable since it has a lower impedance.

3. Perfectly fine, but as I said, lower impedance = more noise comes through, as the drivers don't 'resist' the bad noise as much as higher impedance drivers

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

I think they'll be decent.

Is it possible to stretch your budget for a pair of Fidelio X2 at about $300?

I'm sure you can find those at discount or used for $250.

Edit:

Actual they are $250 on Amazon at the moment

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X2-27-Fidelio-Headphones/dp/B00O2Y2MZG

However I've seen some QC issues with recent discounted X2 that have been on sale.

1. Of closed back headphones, the COPs apparently have very good sound stage, with recessed vocals/mids and more bass (adjustable)

2. You don't need an amp, but if there is electrical noise from the motherboard, it will be more noticeable since it has a lower impedance.

3. Perfectly fine, but as I said, lower impedance = more noise comes through, as the drivers don't 'resist' the bad noise as much as higher impedance drivers

Awesome, thank you! If I do experience electrical noise, putting in a 50 dollar creative 7.1 surround card will more or less fix that problem? :)

I think they'll be decent.

Is it possible to stretch your budget for a pair of Fidelio X2 at about $300?

I'm sure you can find those at discount or used for $250.

Edit:

Actual they are $250 on Amazon at the moment

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X2-27-Fidelio-Headphones/dp/B00O2Y2MZG

However I've seen some QC issues with recent discounted X2 that have been on sale.

I did come by those on amazon, they only issue is that I'm currently saving for a G37 coupe, and I really don't want to push past 250. Thank you for your input though! :)

Awesome, thank you! If I do experience electrical noise, putting in a 50 dollar creative 7.1 surround card will more or less fix that problem? :)

The sound card is still actually inside your system. An external DAC or Audio Interface will completely remove this, as this only contains audio components inside one box.

With some research, Tek Syndicate has some audiophile mythbusting video, you should check it out, they talk about sound cards too.

I am personally saving up for an Audio Interface (Scarlett Focusrite 2i4) as it allows both XLR inputs, outputs, and headphone outputs. It is used for monitoring audio, but can also be used for your everyday audio consumption

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Ehh..

I'd recommend reading up on some NwAvGuy blog posts and Innerfedility reviews if you to get into audio past your average consumer. 

Z review is also fine, but he can be erratic sometimes. 

1: From what I've experienced of that line of headphones, they are quite durable, which the only thing that I could see breaking are those wing tips if you tried bending them often. And no, you aren't getting anywhere near the Soundstage of a Air series headphone out of a Custom One Pro. And SQ is amazing in those things, not sure who you've been reading. But if you have somehow been convinced otherwise, those are not the only ones in that price range. You can go for a pair of DT 990's for example. On Amazon, there's a boatload of Philips Fidelio X2 used for about $150ish dollars. There's several open headphones like this, just do a bit of looking.

2: This and #3 is really the same question, but you gave added info in #3. Basically, it comes down to what your budget can handle Having your DAC and Amp outside of the PC will be overall beneficial than using the onboard. However, it's not entirely necessary, unless you go with a higher impedance or power hungry headphone. In the case of the Custom One Pro, iirc it isn't sensitive, nor is it power hungry, so if you go with that, you should be fine. If you go with anything else, you might want to look into a DAC and amp. Seeing as you want to keep this under $250, http://tiny.cc/nlui7x is what you need to get, and you'll be good to go.

Ehh..

I'd recommend reading up on some NwAvGuy blog posts and Innerfedility reviews if you to get into audio past your average consumer. 

Z review is also fine, but he can be erratic sometimes. 

Zeos is funny like that. Tyll just seems like he's on drugs.....

Zeos is funny like that. Tyll just seems like he's on drugs.....

Lol what do you mean by drugs? The way he talks out the things he is saying? His video send like he is always sick or something.

Tyll written review are some of the most complete reviews on the internet for anything to be honest.