RAID 0 opinions/help

Technologycal
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

So would just getting the two 500gb ssds (without the 120gb os/app ssd) in no raids be a better option?

that's what I would do, yes

you can use one 500GB drive for all your games, programs, OS etc... and the other drive for stuf like documents, videos, pictures, etc...

In the new build i will be making, it will be 100% SSD storage, with a definite 120gb ssd for OS and applications.

Now, should i  get 2 500gb ssds (samsung evo) or get 4 240gb ssds (hyperx).

Both options will be running in a RAID 0, so my question is which to go with and how significant would the speed differences be.

System is going to be used for gaming, and pretty much gaming only.

(pricing is about $560aud for dual 500gb option, or about $620aud for quad 240gb option)

1) why are you doing raid 0 for gaming, it will give you no improvement

2) are you sure you want to increase your risk of losing all your data for no reason?

3) if you have enough money to afford all those SSDs, and you really want to have stupidly fast speed that is useless for gaming, then buy an NVME SSD like the 950 pro or intel 750

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

the 4 Kingston Drives for RAID10.

1) why are you doing raid 0 for gaming, it will give you no improvement

2) are you sure you want to increase your risk of losing all your data for no reason?

3) if you have enough money to afford all those SSDs, and you really want to have stupidly fast speed that is useless for gaming, then buy an NVME SSD like the 950 pro or intel 750

Wouldn't there prove to be much of a difference for example if i run fallout 4 completely modded to have 4k/8k textures, wouldn't that drastically improve load times?

Also, NVME drives are extremely stupidly priced especially in australia. Intel 750 400gb is $600, so almost same price as the quad ssd option

Wouldn't there prove to be much of a difference for example if i run fallout 4 completely modded to have 4k/8k textures, wouldn't that drastically improve load times?

nope

a regular SATA SSD is already fast enough for that

speeds higher than that are beneficial to heavy computing, 3d rendering, content creating, stuff like that

if you have the money to go overkill, do not do raid 0

not only is software raid very unreliable, making it very likely to have your array fail and lose everything, but you also double the possibility of losing all your data by drive failure

NVMe is a far better option because

1) you get even faster speeds

2) you dont have to deal with software raid (which is crap on consumer motherboards) or you dont need to buy a $500 enterprise raid card

3) it is much more reliable since its only one drive

4) it is smaller

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

nope

a regular SATA SSD is already fast enough for that

speeds higher than that are beneficial to heavy computing, 3d rendering, content creating, stuff like that

if you have the money to go overkill, do not do raid 0

not only is software raid very unreliable, making it very likely to have your array fail and lose everything, but you also double the possibility of losing all your data by drive failure

NVMe is a far better option because

1) you get even faster speeds

2) you dont have to deal with software raid (which is crap on consumer motherboards) or you dont need to buy a $500 enterprise raid card

3) it is much more reliable since its only one drive

4) it is smaller

Motherboard i'm getting is Asus X99 Deluxe, fairly sure that can support RAID through BIOS setup. (not too educated in RAIDs etc, but fairly certain its different to software RAID)

and 2nd, size isn't an issue (case has 8 total bays for SSDs)

its easier to buy a nvme drive or a m.2 drive. you get no issues with raid

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

Motherboard i'm getting is Asus X99 Deluxe, fairly sure that can support RAID through BIOS setup. (not too educated in RAIDs etc, but fairly certain its different to software RAID)

and 2nd, size isn't an issue (case has 8 total bays for SSDs)

software raid = using the motherboard for raid

hardware raid = using a proper raid card

software raid on consumer motherboards is horrible

i see plenty of people coming to LTT for help because their PC stops booting and its because their raid array, which was done by software raid, failed

that means everything is lost and you need to restart from a clean windows installation

unless you want to spend $500+ on a proper raid card, dont do software raid

just get a single NVMe SSD

its faster, safer, and also far easier to set up

Spoiler

software raid = using the motherboard for raid

hardware raid = using a proper raid card

software raid on consumer motherboards is horrible

i see plenty of people coming to LTT for help because their PC stops booting and its because their raid array, which was done by software raid, failed

that means everything is lost and you need to restart from a clean windows installation

unless you want to spend $500+ on a proper raid card, dont do software raid

just get a single NVMe SSD

its faster, safer, and also far easier to set up

So would just getting the two 500gb ssds (without the 120gb os/app ssd) in no raids be a better option?

you can use one 500GB drive for all your games, programs, OS etc... and the other drive for stuf like documents, videos, pictures, etc...

Spoiler

Alright thanks for the help then, got my solution and getting ready to build the dream pc soon :D

Alright thanks for the help then, got my solution and getting ready to build the dream pc soon :D

good luck :)

Spoiler