Soundcard

moostrater

Christmas is almost here and im thinknig about getting myself a souncard. is it worth it?

Christmas is almost here and im thinknig about getting myself a souncard. is it worth it?

for gaming, nope.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

for gaming, nope.

Everyone assumes when a question is asked on here its for a gaming rig. Might I remind you that this is a tech forum and not a gaming forum. While a lot of us are gamers, gamers are not the only computer enthusiasts. He could produce/listen to music and want to improve his sound quality. Maybe he's making sound effects for a video. There's plenty of reasons he might want one other than gaming.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Post this is the audio section.

Probably not worth it (assuming your computer is relatively modern). If you want better sound I'd put money in speakers/headphones first, and then probably use an external Amp/DAC or something over an internal card. Difficult to justify a soundcard as onboard audio is passable for most purposes.    

If you make a post contradicting mine that doesn't directly address my claims, or cites 'facts' without evidence, I'm probably not going to bother responding to it, because you probably didn't bother reading my post properly, and because life is too short. It doesn't mean I don't have an answer for you. It means I'm not dignifying you with a response. 

no unless you are an audiophile

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Unless you are a music producer or are really stingy about perfect sound, no.

Everyone assumes when a question is asked on here its for a gaming rig. Might I remind you that this is a tech forum and not a gaming forum. While a lot of us are gamers, gamers are not the only computer enthusiasts. He could produce/listen to music and want to improve his sound quality. Maybe he's making sound effects for a video. There's plenty of reasons he might want one other than gaming.

Well if he produces music then he could have said in the post. Am I ryte or am I ryte.

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Well if he produces music then he could have said in the post. Am I ryte or am I ryte.

You're right. Even for music production, soundcards are poopy. Better to get an external DAC or audio interface.

Funny thing is, he didnt mention gaming in the post either, but you had no trouble assuming that.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Funny thing is, he didnt mention gaming in the post either, but you had no trouble assuming that.

Well, from recent topics regarding sound cards, they're all for gaming. So I assumed it was for gaming.

Old Rig

If he does play music then his best bet is an interface.. then it determines how he wants to record and his options in post processing whether to get a standard usb mixer or to get a recording interface. Your DAW will see the audio differently between the two, you can get by with either one depending on recording technique.  

Give more info. Systems specs like motherboard and headphones/speakers. What do you not like about your current setup? How much do you want to spend on improving your current setup? What features are you looking at adding? ect ect ect ect. Give more info

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3