Suggestions: WD My Passport Ultra vs Essentials

Hi guys! I am looking to get a 1TB external drive mainly for photos coming off my Camera, both RAW and JPEG files, as well as a bunch of other videos, installers and whatnot. I'm choosing between Western Digital's My Passport Ultra and Elements.

Between the two, I've read that the Elements is kind of a "bare bones" drive (no software included) which for me is good since I won't be needing them anyways and with that, the drive tends to perform better in terms of transfer speeds (accdg to online reviews). But unfortunately, I'm having a hard time looking for stocks over at my preferred dealer in my country. Meanwhile the My Passport Ultra drive includes several softwares which allegedly slow down the performance of the drive. But considering that most of the things I've read about the My Passport were like from 2010 to around 2012-ish, I'm thinking it might already be irrelevant.

I'd also like to note that I was able to test a friend's 500GB My Passport Ultra (bought around July of 2014, IIRC) through CrystalDisk Mark, and the results were good. Sequential Read/Write were no less than 100 MB/s. I also tried transferring several large files and the speed were consistent (around 80-90MB/s). Which led me to this confusion.

I'd like to confirm if the newer My Passport Ultra drives is no longer hampered by the included software from WD? Is the Elements still a better drive (in terms of performance, transfer speeds, etc)?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

EDIT: ooppss: I was pertaining to the ELEMENTS drive not Essentials. I've had the terms mixed up in my head. My apologies. :)

I want to build a rig, but I'm not a gamer.   :mellow:

go for the My Passport Ultra then! :)

don't mind me, wrong post. xD

AMDr Ryzen 5 3600 | ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0| 8GB Ram |  MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G | CM MasterBox Q300L | Primary: Samsung Evo 850 250GB

Secondary: WD Blue 1 TB | Cooler Master V850

go for the My Passport Ultra then! :)

don't mind me, wrong post. xD

I was actually going for it if not for the reviews I found earlier. Now I am confused if the all variants of the MyPassport drive still have that bloatware/performance issues/hidden partition going on.

Anyone? :)