Camera Questions - Please help a noob out!

SD card usually

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

SD card usually

this case, use the sd card

My plan is to get a camera for multipurpose. I want to use it to record videos of myself talking (I have a separate mic so I'm going to sync it with the video). The other purpose is to take picture at events. I was wondering which would be better because I have an avermedia capture card that has the ability to capture the HDMI out of a camera. I haven't bought the camera yet, I'm trying to find out which shall be best for my needs

Is it better to record directly to an SD card or use an HDMI out to put it to a capture card?

Depends, what exactly do you mean when you say capture card?  Do you mean connecting a camera to a video capture card attached to a computer?  Or do you mean an external video recording device such as an Atomos Ninja?

On some cameras, the HDMI out port only supports the output of a low quality or the same quality signal as the video file recorded onto the memory card.  On other cameras, the HDMI out can be of higher quality, it depends on how the manufacturer has designed the camera.

Some DSLRs for example record 8-bit color depth internally to the memory card, but the HDMI out can support 10-bit and higher bit rate.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

My plan is to get a camera for multipurpose. I want to use it to record videos of myself talking (I have a separate mic so I'm going to sync it with the video). The other purpose is to take picture at events. I was wondering which would be better because I have an avermedia capture card that has the ability to capture the HDMI out of a camera. I haven't bought the camera yet, I'm trying to find out which shall be best for my needs

itll ususally only intake 1080i which is basically 1080p at 30 hz, though most cant output that, so youll get 720 doing that

itll ususally only intake 1080i which is basically 1080p at 30 hz, though most cant output that, so youll get 720 doing that

Depends, what exactly do you mean when you say capture card? Do you mean connecting a camera to a video capture card attached to a computer? Or do you mean an external video recording device such as an Atomos Ninja?

On some cameras, the HDMI out port only supports the output of a low quality or the same quality signal as the video file recorded onto the memory card. On other cameras, the HDMI out can be of higher quality, it depends on how the manufacturer has designed the camera.

Some DSLRs for example record 8-bit color depth internally to the memory card, but the HDMI out can support 10-bit and higher bit rate.

Oh shoot I had no idea it did that. In that case I'll use an SD card. What do you think would be the best camera for my situation? I was thinking of around a 200 dollar budget and mic quality doesn't matter too much because I'll have an external mic. It would be nice if there was some way to record everything at the same time