Back to 7

ThatGuy

So I upgraded my gaming rig to windows 8 when there was the massive discounts on 8 right after launch. I picked up a few copies of it for under $10 each. I've been enjoying all the tweaks and updates that actually make sense (native iso mounting, New file transfer interface, etc) but I'm actually really starting to get annoyed with all the tabletitis the OS has, and I've been using it for well over a year now. My question is has anyone else switched back to 7, and why? Also what are the actual benefits of sticking with 8 right now? I got display fusion in the summer sale on steam, so the multi-monitor improvements of 8 are negligible. I also use classic start.

The fast boot times and overall responsiveness is nice. If I want to, I have access to free copies through Dreamspark.

I'm switching to Linux as my primary anyway. At most, I'd use a VM for Windows if I absolutely need it.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

When I get my new computer I am thinking of getting 8 but will be using start is back.

I haven't purchased and installed windows 8, but I can assure you I will never buy a copy of it. I don't like where MS is taking windows....  <_<

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

It does boot nice and quick, but I have the OS on a samsung 840 pro, so its not really a concern to me either way. Plus I keep my PC on almost 24/7, so it doesn't do much booting except for restarts on updates

Did you try this layout?

dss.png

Did you read this?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/10/11/reflecting-on-your-comments-on-the-start-screen.aspx

Did you try Windows 8.1 (albeit is in early beta... but you get to enjoy many changes, if you don't mind a few rough edges at a UI level). Official release is in October, and free for Win8 users.

When I get an ssd I might switch to Windows 8 with Start is back ofc.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat