how to power my gpu?

ozi00
Go to solution Solved by Sharp_3yE,

YES, use that 8 pin you already have. You have a 750 watt psu which is plenty to power the 980 ti. You have a Semi-Modular psu. That means only some of your cables interchangeable. The others are directly into the psu. Some psu's are fully modular (dont have the bunch of cables, only cables you plug in yourself) and some are not modular at all (only have cables that are directly into the psu).

Back when I first got my pc, someone else built it for me so Im not sure, but I recently purchased a gtx980ti and it requires a 6 pin power plug + a 8 pin power plug and my old gpu (gtx 560 non-ti) required two 6 pin plugs, now however Im not sure if the 8 pin plug I have is safe for my gpu as it comes directly out of the circular part of my psu (ocz fatality 750w) without any labels and I just wanted to ask if it will be safe. I posted two images to help you guys out. Thanks! :D (sorry if its a useless question Im not really good with computer hardware)

post-294724-0-30552000-1450457112_thumb.

post-294724-0-81051900-1450457125_thumb.

I think that might be a CPU pin. Try it if it fit it sits. It should be fine however a PSU upgrade should be a priority.

That 8 pin is fine. Those are Semi-Modular PSUs, they will do the trick!

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

YES, use that 8 pin you already have. You have a 750 watt psu which is plenty to power the 980 ti. You have a Semi-Modular psu. That means only some of your cables interchangeable. The others are directly into the psu. Some psu's are fully modular (dont have the bunch of cables, only cables you plug in yourself) and some are not modular at all (only have cables that are directly into the psu).

I think that might be a CPU pin. Try it if it fit it sits. It should be fine however a PSU upgrade should be a priority.

He doesn't need a new psu. An 8 pin is a 8 pin.

Thank you guys very much for the help, much appreciated.

Yeah I guess. A new one would have better Voltage control and efficiency.

It's an 80+ Bronze psu. It's fine. It's a solid good semi modular 750 watt psu. It's a good one.

Also, would a i5 3570k (no OC) and 16gb 1600mhz ddr3 ram bottleneck the gtx980ti g1?

Also, would a i5 3570k (no OC) and 16gb 1600mhz ddr3 ram bottleneck the gtx980ti g1?

Technically yes, but really no. That processor can get almost all of what the gtx 980 ti can push. Speed of ram doesn't effect very much (very slight) at least for games and at long as you have 8gb or over then you are fine. 16gb is a great amount.

Technically yes, but really no. That processor can get almost all of what the gtx 980 ti can push. Speed of ram doesn't effect very much (very slight) at least for games and at long as you have 8gb or over then you are fine. 16gb is a great amount.

I may get watercooling and push the 3570k to 4 - 4.5 ghz this summer hopefully that will be good to go 100%, once again thanks alot for your help dude :D

I may get watercooling and push the 3570k to 4 - 4.5 ghz this summer hopefully that will be good to go 100%, once again thanks alot for your help dude :D

A good air cooler can push a 3570k to 4.2-4.4 ghz. Yea, it can be done. Make sure you have a decent Mobo for that though.