To many drives not enough SATA ports.

Ophidio

I have come into a slight abundance of HDD somehow... I was cleaning my room and I found two 1TB Drives just chillin... I've plugged them in through the external SATA connector on my case and they both work and I've formatted both of them so I could use them for storage. This will give me a total of four 1TB HDD and my 240GB SSD, only problem is my motherboard has four 6gb/s SATA ports and 2 3gb/s Sata ports. I also have a optical drive for the games I do own on a disk. Does anyone have a solution to help me fix this? I know I could just plug the Optical Drive into one of the 3gb/s ports but what about the other HDD I have that won't have a port to go into unless I just use the other 3gb/s port which I don't really want to do for a HDD. Oh, and I just remember my external HDD connectors are plugged into the other 3gb/s port so that's every port taken. Do I need to buy a RAID Controller to solve this issue?

Thank you for all of the help. Also, If I do need a RAID Controller can someone recommend a good one?

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I have come into a slight abundance of HDD somehow... I was cleaning my room and I found two 1TB Drives just chillin... I've plugged them in through the external SATA connector on my case and they both work and I've formatted both of them so I could use them for storage. This will give me a total of four 1TB HDD and my 240GB SSD, only problem is my motherboard has four 6gb/s SATA ports and 2 3gb/s Sata ports. I also have a optical drive for the games I do own on a disk. Does anyone have a solution to help me fix this? I know I could just plug the Optical Drive into one of the 3gb/s ports but what about the other HDD I have that won't have a port to go into unless I just use the other 3gb/s port which I don't really want to do for a HDD. Oh, and I just remember my external HDD connectors are plugged into the other 3gb/s port so that's every port taken. Do I need to buy a RAID Controller to solve this issue?

Thank you for all of the help. Also, If I do need a RAID Controller can someone recommend a good one?

everything you have but the ssd is a 3gb/s device

3 gb/s devices are forwards compatible with 6 gb/s ports

there are no problems here

everything you have but the ssd is a 3gb/s device

3 gb/s devices are forwards compatible with 6 gb/s ports

there are no problems here

So, 4 HDDs, 1SSD, 1 External HDD Connector, and 1 Optical Drive and you don't see a problem with only having 6 ports? Let me help you with some math there buddy. 4 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 7

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

So, 4 HDDs, 1SSD, 1 External HDD Connector, and 1 Optical Drive and you don't see a problem with only having 6 ports? Let me help you with some math there buddy. 4 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 7

didnt notice the 2 existing hdds

but yeah, you dont need a raid controller, though that would work

there are splitters that would do what you want, though 4 hdds in raid 0 is getting me 660 MB/s

didnt notice the 2 existing hdds

but yeah, you dont need a raid controller, though that would work

there are splitters that would do what you want, though 4 hdds in raid 0 is getting me 660 MB/s

mmm :/ I'm not even running any kind of RAID right now, or as far as I know unless the motherboard runs one type of RAID by default. I was going to mess around with RAID stuff when I did plug in more drives. Do you have a link to a video or forum post that explains the different types of RAID so I can know what to choose? 

mmm :/ I'm not even running any kind of RAID right now, or as far as I know unless the motherboard runs one type of RAID by default. I was going to mess around with RAID stuff when I did plug in more drives. Do you have a link to a video or forum post that explains the different types of RAID so I can know what to choose? 

heres an easy guide

raid 0 increases speed, but has no redundancy or backup, so if 1 drive fails, you lose all data.  it has an advantage of massive speed

raid 1 is full redundancy, writing the same data to all drives, so its slow but has full redundancy

raid 5 provides redundancy, so if 1 disk goes out, you lose no date

raid 5 does raid 5 but better

so,  in a raid situation

you have 3 1tb drives

raid 0 gives 3 times speed and 3 terrabytes of storage

raid 1 gives 1 tb of storage and base speed or  slower, but full backups and redundancy

raid 3 gives slightly faster seeds and 2 tb or storage, with redundancy so 1 drive can die

raid 6 does raid 5, but a bit slower so it can be more reliable

what i suggest is to put all data that is important onto the ssd and store everything else on a raid 0 array

so information of the ssd

games and  such on the raid

In addition to the above, there's RAID10 (A stripe of mirrors). You lose 50% of the space like RAID1, but it's faster because it has four drives to read from. Rebuild times are faster as well.

Do note that a proper RAID card (with onboard battery backup) costs $500-700. The cheap entry level RAID cards aren't worth your time / future pains.

I think you're better off with a HBA card (Doesn't do RAID, but presents the drive as if you had just plugged them straight into the motherboard). You can use software RAID then.

Let me help you with something, buddy.  The post was very poorly written and hard to follow.  Maybe you should read back over it and edit before you try to be a dick. 

"but what about the other HDD I have that won't have a port to go into unless I just use the other 3gb/s port which I don't really want to do for a HDD. Oh, and I just remember my external HDD connectors are plugged into the other 3gb/s port so that's every port taken."

So...basically the guy wasn't wrong at all.  He said there is no need for a 6 port... true.  You said there was a port available and then immediately followed with every port is taken.  So which is it?