Rooting

DominicNikon

it lets you install custom rom's

its not really a bad thing unless you "brick your phone"

completely legal but it depeonds on your provider, if you have some contract phone then they might get pissed

if its unlocked then ur free

Windows 10 is now MSX! http://linustechtips...ndows-10/page-6 ....................

It'll void your warranty in most cases but allows apps to access the full Android file system (except the /system directory usually) and do a whole lot more. It's like jailbreaking but on Android. One of the most popular ways to get root features is something called Xposed Installer which allows you to install tweaks and things, kinda like Cydia.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=xposed%20installer&es_th=1

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

rooting basicly gives you (and apps that make use of it) access to very basic device functions otherwise not possible.

some of these are

- possibility to remove stock apps

- have management access to storage (theres an app that can use the external sd card on a rooted device to expand internal storage)

- not sure about this one, but i think you need to root to install a custom rom (like cyanogen)

what does rooting a android phone do? is it a bad thing to do or is it allowed?

It's like exposing your phones root files for external programs to use.  It basically opens up a whole new world of android.  I highly recommend it if your carrier doesn't lock your phones bootloader.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

completely legal but it depeonds on your provider, if you have some contract phone then they might get pissed

And a whole lot of other things, mind you. After all, one of the biggest uses is to stop bullshit carrier charges like with mobile hotspot (which is why Verizon phones can't be rooted usually)

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

i've rooted 3 of my devices, never have i bricked my phone :c

yeah that was totally my fault. It doesn't help to skip steps when following along with an article online. Won't do that again. :)

Windows 10 is now MSX! http://linustechtips...ndows-10/page-6 ....................

i've rooted 3 of my devices, never have i bricked my phone :c

I've installed custom ROMs on my M8 prolly like 50 times and given I'm S-On, I literally can't brick my phone xD

i have a samsung galaxy s5 on version. and what is bricking your phone? 

I've installed custom ROMs on my M8 prolly like 50 times and given I'm S-On, I literally can't brick my phone xD

i usally just install cyanogen and then install nova launcher for that stock android feel :c

bricking your phone means, you fuck it up,

i quote "bricked phone means one thing: your phone won't turn on in any way, shape or form, and there's nothing you can do to fix it. It is, for all intents and purposes, as useful as abrick. A phone stuck in a boot loop is notbricked, nor is a phone that boots straight into recovery mode."

you most likley will not be allowded to root it, i would talk to your provider about it before trying it

gl rooting your phone. Verizon locks their bootloaders which means it'll be difficult to find a working method for rooting your phone :3

It's like exposing your phones root files for external programs to use.  It basically opens up a whole new world of android.  I highly recommend it if your carrier doesn't lock your phones bootloader.

gl rooting your phone. Verizon locks their bootloaders which means it'll be difficult to find a working method for rooting your phone :3

BTW, does anyone know if the note 4 Verizon is able to be rooted now? Ive been wanting to do that for a long time now.

And a whole lot of other things, mind you. After all, one of the biggest uses is to stop bullshit carrier charges like with mobile hotspot (which is why Verizon phones can't be rooted usually)

Most US carriers lock bootloaders and prevent you from rooting.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

ok. also in the play store theres apps for overclocking how do you overclock a phone? what do you do about voltage and heat?

BTW, does anyone know if the note 4 Verizon is able to be rooted now? Ive been wanting to do that for a long time now.

idk if its all pohones but when my dad was buying a contract, i asked them if we could install a custom ROM like cyanogen and they said, its perfectly fine

i usally just install cyanogen and then install nova launcher for that stock android feel :c

I ran InsertCoin and various other Sense based ROMs until I discovered I could install CM and then I ran CM11 for a while and then I found out about CM12.1 and installed that and now I'm running a stock GPE Marshmallow rom since I can't wait for CM13 :3 the cheesing

The BL has been unlocked.  No root yet tho.  http://www.xda-developers.com/verizon-galaxy-s5-bootloader-has-been-unlocked/

I ran InsertCoin and various other Sense based ROMs until I discovered I could install CM and then I ran CM11 for a while and then I found out about CM12.1 and installed that and now I'm running a stock GPE Marshmallow rom since I can't wait for CM13 :3 the cheesing

im waiting for CM13 cause asus never fucking updates their phones and fixes the battery issues

though its currenerly in Alpha in XDA.dev's

Not yet.  Check this thread for more info.  http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4-verizon