Sagging GPU ghetto fix!

chris_gpvd

Hello guys (and gals)!

About 2 months ago I finally gathered the components and built my current rig. But today I noticed my gpu was sagging significantly, despite tightening the screws (both of them) with the case on its side, and the gpu upright. 

I didn't want to put any wooden dowels or anything from the bottom, so I decided to come up with the following solution: Put a small zip-tie through the backplate, around one of the screw posts for maximum strength, but not tight, just a few clicks in. Then, I got a small piece of synthetic fabric ribbon (cut from a new shirt, used in stores to hang clothes from hangers), and looped it around the 5.25'' drive bay, through the zip tie tightly. Then, it was just a matter of tightening the zip tie to lift the card, until it was completely horizontal.

post-163098-0-49662900-1450202585_thumb.

post-163098-0-92049100-1450203069_thumb.

The gpu is the MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G. Sorry for the crappy pics, I didn't have my camera and my phone is pretty old...

At least for now, it works pretty well. I hope this helps anyone who has a big gpu and doesn't want to add supports etc.

Full system specs:

Asus Maximus VIII Ranger

Intel i7 6700k @4.5GHz (but usually left at stock)

Coolermaster Hyper 412S

2x8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2666MHz

Corsair RMi series, 750w

MSI R9 390 Gaming 8G @ 1100MHz core, 1600MHz mem clock

Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

WD Red 3TB

Corsair 450D

Corsair K70 RGB cherry reds

Logitech g302

Asus VG248QE

Asus VE247H (secondary)

That's a pretty neat way of fixing it ;-) however, I think it'll look a bit strange in a windowed case... PS: I recognise an engineer when I see one... looks like you're one!

Judging by the size of that heatsink and backplate, you could`ve expected that. And the backplate doesn`t help with sagging, like at all.

Either way, smart m8

to game or not to game, that`s the question

I thought kids these days thought sagging was cool

Hi,how are your temps and fan noise with the msi model?

Temps wise, when gaming and even stress testing, I never go above 80C, despite the overclock. When gaming, temps are around 75C or lower. Mind you, case fans are kept at a minimum speed, despite having 2x140mm intakes and 3 120mm exhausts, around 500-600rpm, so airflow is not the best. If I ramp the fans up, I get around low 70s to high 60s when gaming with triple-A titles.

Fan noise is there, but it isn't high pitched. I don't mind it that much, but this card would definitely benefit from water cooling. The good news is the fans don't spin when idle, or even when playing light games, like LofL, rocket league etc. But I haven't got another current card to compare it to. It is better than my brother's 780, but he has a blower style cooler, so not a fair comparison. 

Temps wise, when gaming and even stress testing, I never go above 80C, despite the overclock. When gaming, temps are around 75C or lower. Mind you, case fans are kept at a minimum speed, despite having 2x140mm intakes and 3 120mm exhausts, around 500-600rpm, so airflow is not the best. If I ramp the fans up, I get around low 70s to high 60s when gaming with triple-A titles.

Fan noise is there, but it isn't high pitched. I don't mind it that much, but this card would definitely benefit from water cooling. The good news is the fans don't spin when idle, or even when playing light games, like LofL, rocket league etc. But I haven't got another current card to compare it to. It is better than my brother's 780, but he has a blower style cooler, so not a fair comparison. 

Are you using vsync?

That's a pretty neat way of fixing it ;-) however, I think it'll look a bit strange in a windowed case... PS: I recognise an engineer when I see one... looks like you're one!

Thanks! I have my case in the corner of my desk, on the right, but I can't see the fix from where I sit, so it's not bothering me atm. Although I should find something more elegant.,,

Indeed, I am an engineer! Although, not a computer, but an environmental engineer...

Are you using vsync?

Yes, in every game. I HATE tearing. I can cope with lower fps, but not tearing.

Thanks! I have my case in the corner of my desk, on the right, but I can't see the fix from where I sit, so it's not bothering me atm. Although I should find something more elegant.,,

Indeed, I am an engineer! Although, not a computer, but an environmental engineer...

Knew it ;-) good luck with finding the more elegant solution, I would recommend getting a shoelace or something braided... It'll look somewhat decent i think, If you jsut tie that zip tie downas far as possible, and get the lace onderneath it...

Knew it ;-) good luck with finding the more elegant solution, I would recommend getting a shoelace or something braided... It'll look somewhat decent i think, If you jsut tie that zip tie downas far as possible, and get the lace onderneath it...

I was thinking of something like black fishing line or black enamel wire, and using just a single strand. The zip-tie was to get to tighten the line after doing up the knots on either end, so I might put it on the case side. 

I was thinking of something like black fishing line or black enamel wire, and using just a single strand. The zip-tie was to get to tighten the line after doing up the knots on either end, so I might put it on the case side. 

That's another solution ;-) good luck!

PS: is that a star wars sticker on the front?

Very nice! I just used an apple magic mouse myself 

Clean your PC please.

PS: is that a star wars sticker on the front?

Nope. Sorry :) Not a Star Wars fan, but I respect the mythos and the fanbase. Have watched all 6. Liked the original trilogy better, of course. ;)

Nope. Sorry :) Not a Star Wars fan, but I respect the mythos and the fanbase. Have watched all 6. Liked the original trilogy better, of course. ;)

Ah, looked likeone of the icons from SW batllefront ;-) that's why I asked... Not a massive fan as well but I'm watching the new movie tomorrow because I don't want to get spoilers before I see it... that really is the only reason, not because I'm like the biggest SW fan evah or something...

No

I do what I want lol

I hope you miss the Steam sale.

I hope Nicholas Cage rebukes you 

wow reported for harrassment