Is it time to add more RAM?

gilm0re3
Go to solution Solved by tbroadwater2010,

So, I've been upgrading a lot of stuff with my whole computer setup. However, the one thing that I have not yet touched is RAM. Like probably most of you, I have 8 gigs of memory holding down the fort. I've been looking into upgrading to 16 gigs, but I'm not sure yet if I really need to. 

Basically, with *my* light to medium usage, I sit anywhere from around 70 percent to 85 percent ram utilization with spikes up in the mid 90's, and when I'm really hitting my computer hard with gaming and multiple chrome windows and tabs open, as well as probably 6-8 other programs running plus all background programs (of which I run a fair number of them) my RAM usage definitely gets pegged up towards the limits of the capacity that I have. 

And as a reference point, when I start up my computer fresh with no programs opened, the background apps and processes are enough to put RAM utilization at around 40 to 50 percent.

So is it probably a good idea to go with 16 gigs, or should I just try to gut out my computer for all the extra background programs or any applications that I leave running that I could definitely terminate when gaming or heavily multitabbing/tasking in Chrome? 

And just as an example, right now I have about 35 chrome tabs across 5 different windows, I always an running 3 virtual desktops bare minimum, I have 7 programs currently opened, and 10 running in the system tray in the background. RAM is currently at 82 percent and holding. That's my medium to heavyish workload.

Thanks

35 chrome tabs is enough to cripple a hardcore RAM setup! LOL.

Chrome is notorious for using a lot of RAM. 16GB will do nicely!

So, I've been upgrading a lot of stuff with my whole computer setup. However, the one thing that I have not yet touched is RAM. Like probably most of you, I have 8 gigs of memory holding down the fort. I've been looking into upgrading to 16 gigs, but I'm not sure yet if I really need to. 

Basically, with *my* light to medium usage, I sit anywhere from around 70 percent to 85 percent ram utilization with spikes up in the mid 90's, and when I'm really hitting my computer hard with gaming and multiple chrome windows and tabs open, as well as probably 6-8 other programs running plus all background programs (of which I run a fair number of them) my RAM usage definitely gets pegged up towards the limits of the capacity that I have. 

And as a reference point, when I start up my computer fresh with no programs opened, the background apps and processes are enough to put RAM utilization at around 40 to 50 percent.

So is it probably a good idea to go with 16 gigs, or should I just try to gut out my computer for all the extra background programs or any applications that I leave running that I could definitely terminate when gaming or heavily multitabbing/tasking in Chrome? 

And just as an example, right now I have about 35 chrome tabs across 5 different windows, I always an running 3 virtual desktops bare minimum, I have 7 programs currently opened, and 10 running in the system tray in the background. RAM is currently at 82 percent and holding. That's my medium to heavyish workload.

Thanks

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

get the 16

itll help a lot on that load

Thanks

It is time, my friend.

Sounds like you could use it :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thanks

35 chrome tabs is enough to cripple a hardcore RAM setup! LOL.

Chrome is notorious for using a lot of RAM. 16GB will do nicely!

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Just curious.... Why are you constantly running multiple VMs?

As to an answer, the RAM usage actually seems pretty great considering what you are throwing at it, but yeah, I would bump it up to 16GB total RAM.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

who knew it would be browsers and not games that would push us to more ram?

And as a heavy VM user myself, I must have 16GB. 8 doesn't cut it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Definately get the additional RAM, I don't even use half as many programs or have more than 3-4 tabs open in firefox at once, and moving from 8 to 16gb of RAM was great! Definately recommended. But with all of your virtualization and what not, try to get two 8gb sticks, so you can easily upgrade and put two more 8gb sticks for 32gb of RAM in the future :)

As to an answer, the RAM usage actually seems pretty great considering what you are throwing at it, but yeah, I would bump it up to 16GB total RAM.

Virtual desktops. So the new Windows 10 feature. Which just helps me organize my workflows.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Virtual desktops. So the new Windows 10 feature. Which just helps me organize my workflows.

Ooooooooh, I get it. I gottcha now. I'm pickin' up what you're laying down.

Dur-dee-dur. Lol

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

i have a laptop with 8 GB of ram and i am using outlook with any where from 10 to 30 chrome tabs open at same time, about 10 of those usually in PRTG monitoring system. and few other applications lying around some lite applications and some have fairly high CPU and memory usage ( usually 5-10 Winbox instances) and RAM MAX  reaches 70 to 80% load. i would grab the 16 GB but my PC is old enough at this moment that i don't want to spend more on it and rather save my money to get a new one. 

get it bro. you will need it

Ooooooooh, I get it. I gottcha now. I'm pickin' up what you're laying down.

Dur-dee-dur. Lol

Totally off topic, buy I love your user profile picture.

And to respond to your point

I've been told that it's definitely a good thing to have fairly high RAM usage because that means that you don't have RAM just sitting around doing nothing. In fact, I've heard that that's one of the reasons Chrome uses so much RAM, because it's coded to since you want to be utilizing all the RAM that you have. I just really wanted to know if constantly sitting around 70 to 85 percent without sweating it is probably the point at which 8 gigs is not enough. Thanks!

Totally off topic, buy I love your user profile picture.

Lol, thanks. Jay is one of my fav YouTubers. I keep meaning to go back and make a better gif so that you can't see it looping, but I'm don't know how. If you know of a program that would allow sub-second start and stop points that would be awesome. If I extract the video from YT, would I be able to do that in Adobe Premiere?

And to respond to your point

I've been told that it's definitely a good thing to have fairly high RAM usage because that means that you don't have RAM just sitting around doing nothing. In fact, I've heard that that's one of the reasons Chrome uses so much RAM, because it's coded to since you want to be utilizing all the RAM that you have. I just really wanted to know if constantly sitting around 70 to 85 percent without sweating it is probably the point at which 8 gigs is not enough. Thanks!

I've never heard that, but I guess it makes sense? I guess I just don't see why having a program be as memory efficient as possible so that you have more overhead room would be a bad thing.

END OF LINE

Lol, thanks. Jay is one of my fav YouTubers. I keep meaning to go back and make a better gif so that you can't see it looping, but I'm don't know how. If you know of a program that would allow sub-second start and stop points that would be awesome. If I extract the video from YT, would I be able to do that in Adobe Premiere?

I've never heard that, but I guess it makes sense? I guess I just don't see why having a program be as memory efficient as possible so that you have more overhead room would be a bad thing.

http://www.howtogeek.com/128130/htg-explains-why-its-good-that-your-computers-ram-is-full/

Here's a much more detailed explanation for why it's good to be using all the memory you have.