R9 390 or 970

reapersivan

Hello so I have been saving up and I finally have enough money for a new GPU. My Current System is 

FX 6300, stock

Asus M5A97 R2.0 Mobo

8gb DDR3 1600 Ram

Sapphire R9 270

Corsair Cx600m Power supply

1TB Seagate Barracuda

SO I want to upgrade to a new card although I know it will bottleneck. I don't plan to OC and I have my computer in a nice open area with no dust and good ventilation. Should I get the 390 or the 970, also which one, by MSI,SAPPHIRE,EVGA,ASUS....etc.

Will my PSU blow up and burn my house?

Hello so I have been saving up and I finally have enough money for a new GPU. My Current System is 

FX 6300, stock

Asus M5A97 R2.0 Mobo

8gb DDR3 1600 Ram

Sapphire R9 270

1TB Seagate Barracuda

SO I want to upgrade to a new card although I know it will bottleneck. I don't plan to OC and I have my computer in a nice open area with no dust and good ventilation. Should I get the 390 or the 970, also which one, by MSI,SAPPHIRE,EVGA,ASUS....etc.

What you should do in terms of computer upgrades for your computer:

1.Upgrade that psu

2. Upgrade that mobo and get an I5

3. Get a 390.

If you're really worried about your PSU, go for the 970. But if you really want strength, aim for the 390.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

definetly Sapphire 390

it's not recommended, but no,it won't blow up lel

although things may go wrong

i had cx600 with 970 for 6 months, no problems (now i changed it preventivly)

What you should do in terms of computer upgrades for your computer:

1.Upgrade that psu

2. Upgrade that mobo and get an I5

3. Get a 390.

Upgrade GPU first, it will give instant benefits

OP, I would recommend a Sapphire R9 390.

I used to be quite active here.

FX 6300, stock

Asus M5A97 R2.0 Mobo

8gb DDR3 1600 Ram

Sapphire R9 270

1TB Seagate Barracuda

Just a warning. You'll run into a bottleneck with that CPU getting a GPU of this tier. I had an FX 8350 at 4.4ghz and it bottle necked my R9 290 really badly in a lot of CPU intensive games. I switched to an i5 4670k and I get 99% GPU usage in those game like I should instead of it hovering around 70% to 80% like it did with FX CPU. Google it FX 8350 bottlenecking R9 290 if you don't believe me. I wasn't the only one.

Benefits are pointless if he hit's 30 degrees C.

Just a warning. You'll run into a bottleneck with that CPU getting a GPU of this tier. I had an FX 8350 at 4.4ghz and it bottle necked my R9 290 really badly in a lot of CPU intensive games. I switched to an i5 4670k and I get 99% GPU usage in those game like I should instead of it hovering around 70% to 80% like it did with FX CPU. Google it FX 8350 bottlenecking R9 290 if you don't believe me. I wasn't the only one.

He says he knows there'll be a bottleneck.

SO I want to upgrade to a new card although I know it will bottleneck.

Benefits are pointless if he hit's 30 degrees C.

Uhhh.. What?

It's rated to put out its max voltage up until 30 C, then the performance (how many watts it do) goes down. He should be fine with this since he won't be using 600W anyways.

Meh, if you say so. Just Buyer beware.

R9 390 + XFX TS 550W

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

definetly Sapphire 390

it's not recommended, but no,it won't blow up lel

although things may go wrong

i had cx600 with 970 for 6 months, no problems (now i changed it preventivly)

I have a friend who said it should be fine. He has a 4690k a 970 OCd and a CX600m

What make it better than the MSI one?

I am aware of bottleneck and am gonna upgrade to I5 later on

MSI is also a great 390

it goes like that

Sapphire > MSI > XFX > everything else > Gigabyte, Asus

Better than the MSI 390? Better cooler, better noise, and Sapphire has very slightly higher binning for their GPUs.

It's rated to put out its max voltage up until 30 C, then the performance (how many watts it do) goes down. He should be fine with this since he won't be using 600W anyways.

so once it uses up all 600w and hits 30, it shuts off?

Better than the MSI 390? Better cooler, better noise, and Sapphire has very slightly higher binning for their GPUs.

I HAVE a Sapphire card. Looks great and works great. Thanks

so once it uses up all 600w and hits 30, it shuts off?

kinda. If you have good airflow in the case, it shouldn't get much above 30 C in the first place. With 1 GPU you'll basically never use over 550W anyways.

kinda. If you have good airflow in the case, it shouldn't get much above 30 C in the first place. With 1 GPU you'll basically never use over 550W anyways.

So o should be fine right? And if it goes wrong, I could do warranty, sell it to a friend for 20$ cuz he wants to build a pc and buy a new one

So o should be fine right? And if it goes wrong, I could do warranty, sell it to a friend for 20$ cuz he wants to build a pc and buy a new one

Sure. That would be fine.

so when people say it blows up. Is it true?

It has/can. For few people it has, for many it has not.

It might be better to save $70 and buy a new PSU first, but I'm not you. It's a risk.