Triple LG Ultrawides with 980Ti Full Resolution issues... (Halp)

Dossium

Hello Everyone,

My two new LG Ultrawides (25UM56) just got in to join the already existing one. That makes a trio, and immediately crushed my hopes and dreams of plug-and-play.

To cut to the chase, I am driving them with an MSI Twin Frozr 980Ti. In the way of IO, I have 1xHDMI, 1xDVI-D, 3xFullDisplayPort 

I have been using the existing Ultrawide with the HDMI out for simplicity, but have two Displayport-->HDMI Adapters that have been working well for two other FullHD monitors I had been using on either side of the ultrawide. Now that I have the two new ultrawides using those adapters, I cannot get Windows 8.1 to bump the monitors up to their full resolution.

I have tried at least 10 cables that all display full resolution when using the existing HDMI out with any of the monitors, so it cannot be them.

The "drivers" that came with the monitors are basically junkware from past experience with the first ultrawide, and they are already updated to the most recent driver anyways.

The only thing I can think of would be the Displayport to HDMI adapters not supporting above-HD resolutions.

Does someone have a solution? Whether software or an adapter that FOR SURE supports above HD resolutions?

Thanks in advance.

TheRedDragon    |i7-5820k (4.2Ghz) || MSI X99S SLI Plus || Crucial 2x8gb 2133hmz DDR4 || MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti 6Gb || Sandisk 128Gb SSD || Seagate Barracuda 3Tb |EVGA 1000W 80+ Pltnm ||  

dossium.net >

Posts that won the internet - Verticle Mice 

Maybe just run all 3 on on DP?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

welcome to triple monitors, I had to tinker for ever to get things right, and then tinker more when I upgraded to 10. just the nature of the beast

dont use adapters

use only direct cables, like displayport, to each monitor

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Maybe just run all 3 on on DP?

dont use adapters

Cannot. Only IO into the monitors are HDMI.

TheRedDragon    |i7-5820k (4.2Ghz) || MSI X99S SLI Plus || Crucial 2x8gb 2133hmz DDR4 || MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti 6Gb || Sandisk 128Gb SSD || Seagate Barracuda 3Tb |EVGA 1000W 80+ Pltnm ||  

dossium.net >

Does someone have a solution? Whether software or an adapter that FOR SURE supports above HD resolutions?

To test this, simply connect 1 monitor via the DP to HDMI adapter and see if it works. If so, then the problem is using those connections next to each other. Try other adapters/connections.

If it doesn't work, then get new cabling methods.

dont use adapters

Doesn't work when their GPU has 1 HDMI out and all their monitors have HDMI in.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

To test this, simply connect 1 monitor via the DP to HDMI adapter and see if it works. If so, then the problem is using those connections next to each other. Try other adapters/connections.

If it doesn't work, then get new cabling methods.

Sorry, thought it was implied that I tried that, and came to this conclusion. 

Did also try an DVI-D to HDMI adapter, and dual HDMI in.

dossium.net >

talk about overkill.

This will be my Member Title asap.

dossium.net >

Sorry, thought it was implied that I tried that, and came to this conclusion. 

Did also try an DVI-D to HDMI adapter, and dual HDMI in.

If DVI to HDMI and DPI to HDMI won't let you do this, something is wrong with your config..

Make sure you're changing the resolution in NVIDIA Control Panel, not Windows.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Hello Everyone,

My two new LG Ultrawides (25UM56) just got in to join the already existing one. That makes a trio, and immediately crushed my hopes and dreams of plug-and-play.

To cut to the chase, I am driving them with an MSI Twin Frozr 980Ti. In the way of IO, I have 1xHDMI, 1xDVI-D, 3xFullDisplayPort 

I have been using the existing Ultrawide with the HDMI out for simplicity, but have two Displayport-->HDMI Adapters that have been working well for two other FullHD monitors I had been using on either side of the ultrawide. Now that I have the two new ultrawides using those adapters, I cannot get Windows 8.1 to bump the monitors up to their full resolution.

I have tried at least 10 cables that all display full resolution when using the existing HDMI out with any of the monitors, so it cannot be them.

The "drivers" that came with the monitors are basically junkware from past experience with the first ultrawide, and they are already updated to the most recent driver anyways.

The only thing I can think of would be the Displayport to HDMI adapters not supporting above-HD resolutions.

Thanks in advance.

pssh. nothing wrong with dport - hdmi adapters. you just need to be aware that some cruddier adapters are stuck at 1920x1080.

for example:

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042801&p_id=4826&seq=1&format=2

this is an example of a passive adapter that is quite cheap, and handled 1080p happily. it will still work with your rig, but the adapter can only convert up to 1080p.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042806&p_id=12781&seq=1&format=2

now this is twice as expensive, and chunkier, but they will upscale to 4k, BUT! since they are hdmi 1.4, you get 4k at 30fps.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Displayport-HDMI-Adapter-Supports/dp/B001NIEHIO

i am a little weirded out at the price, but this here is an example of a dport - hdmi 2.0 adapter. thats what you will want if you want 60fps at above 1080 UHD resolutions. as of now, i am finding it challenging to promote this adapter since i never used one, and i like to use monoprice as a reference since their cables are what i would consider priced fairly.

what adapters you running?