Galaxy Note III rumored to have 4k video capture!!

An Article on Engadget stated the Galaxy Note III from Samsung is rumored to do 4K video! What does this mean? Well due to the popularity of Samsung's Note products this means that 4K capabilities will be available to a large number of people. Meaning the demand for reasonably priced 4K screens will go up significantly driving the price down. Also, Samsung's Note line has trickled down a lot of really cool software/hardware features such as 'Multi-Window' capability quad core Cpu's so it could be reasonable to say that if this rumor is true than we could see 4K cameras on the extremely popular S-series phones! 

Clearly this camera won't be expected to be as good as other 4K cameras such as the Red or Sony's F5, but it can easily fi in your pocket and go with you wherever you go so advantage Samsung. 

This is exciting news and is a great step in the right direction. What do you guys think of this?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

why-god-why1.jpg

Because we can, that's why!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Clearly this camera won't be expected to be as good as other 4K cameras such as the Red or Sony's F5, but it can easily fi in your pocket and go with you wherever you go so advantage Samsung. 

Samsung Galaxy Note? Easily fit into your pocket?

Please, rewrite that sentence.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Pointless and silly. There's absolutely no point implementing a feature which will have no benefit for users. So few people have access to 4K screens, this is nothing more than a waste of money.

Unless that is it improves the clarity of video when recorded at 1080p, though if we're honest most phones already have pretty clear video capture at that resolution so it's unlikely we'll see a really noticeable difference.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Samsung Galaxy Note? Easily fit into your pocket?

Please, rewrite that sentence.

I can't help that you have baby hands and tiny pockets :P

Hail Sithis!

it can record 4K video but can it play it also its rumoured to be 6.0" its going to take a bit to fit in a standard pocket.

I can't help that you have baby hands and tiny pockets :P

Pretty much this.

Unless you have a silly case on it the Note / Note II fits adequately into most pockets. They're fairly slim so they slip in quite easily.

Pointless and silly. There's absolutely no point implementing a feature which will have no benefit for users. So few people have access to 4K screens, this is nothing more than a waste of money.

Unless that is it improves the clarity of video when recorded at 1080p, though if we're honest most phones already have pretty clear video capture at that resolution so it's unlikely we'll see a really noticeable difference.

I disagree completely, There is a huge difference in 1080 and 4K. This will drive prices down as content availability goes up. See when a company does something groundbreaking there are always nay-sayers, people that don't look toward the future.

Hail Sithis!

Pretty much this.

Unless you have a silly case on it the Note / Note II fits adequately into most pockets. They're fairly slim so they slip in quite easily.

Agreed. 

Hail Sithis!

If they are going to put a 4K video camera in there, they better start by upgrading the storage. Base 16gb + expandable storage will not be enough.  

Personal Computer Rig - Asus M5A99X Evo | AMD FX-8120 @ 4.0GHZ | 8GB Corsair Vengeance | 500GB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Geforce GTX 480 | Corsair TX-750W | Zalman Z9 Plus

I disagree completely, There is a huge difference in 1080 and 4K. This will drive prices down as content availability goes up. See when a company does something groundbreaking there are always nay-sayers, people that don't look toward the future.

I agree, there is a huge difference between 1080p and 4k. However that difference is irrelevant when the difference cannot be experienced - very few people have a 4K capable display available, and the difference cannot be experienced with a 1080p display.

If this was a commercial device, I would be happy as it would be significantly lowering the pricepoint at which someone can record 4K content. However it's a consumer device, and will have essentially no impact upon the commercial market as a result. It won't affect the availability of 4K content in regard to TV shows, films etc.

If they are going to put a 4K video camera in there, they better start by upgrading the storage. Base 16gb + expandable storage will not be enough.  

actually there is a report previously that all galaxy note 3 will at least have 32gb... but u are right, 16gb(or 32gb)+expandable storage will not be enough....

Samsung's Note line has trickled down a lot of really cool software/hardware features such as 'Multi-Window' capability and 1080P screens 

there hasn't been a note with a 1080p screen yet 

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

actually there is a report previously that all galaxy note 3 will at least have 32gb... but u are right, 16gb(or 32gb)+expandable storage will not be enough....

Indeed. 1080p video eats through storage space fast enough even with a 32GB phone, let alone 4K.

I agree, there is a huge difference between 1080p and 4k. However that difference is irrelevant when the difference cannot be experienced - very few people have a 4K capable display available, and the difference cannot be experienced with a 1080p display.

If this was a commercial device, I would be happy as it would be significantly lowering the pricepoint at which someone can record 4K content. However it's a consumer device, and will have essentially no impact upon the commercial market as a result. It won't affect the availability of 4K content in regard to TV shows, films etc.

I disagree, but we shall see :) I don't expect it to effect the commercial market, but look at the camera megapixel race... no one has a display that natively supports images that high but people still look for that spec when buying a phone or a dedicated camera...

Hail Sithis!

there hasn't been a note with a 1080p screen yet 

this is true, brain fart. I shall edit that out. TY :)

Hail Sithis!

this is true, brain fart. I shall edit that out. TY :)

no problem :)

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

I hope they're giving it a shit load of storage for this...

Well Samsung controls it's flash storage and they have some insane High density storage that is hitting the market soon, so who knows but we may see really high storage capacities. They also have expandable storage so that alleviates the problem :)

Hail Sithis!

This is nice to see. Very excited to get the third one this year. Fast phone, great screen, amazing battery. And fits perfectly in your hand and pocket.

Sure I might not have a 4k display to see the video in it's native resolution but a 4k image or video but that high of a resolution will have a sharper image when downscaled to 1080p compared to a native 1080p video. So this is only a benefit from what I can see.

It will need more space though. Min 32gb up to 128 is what I want to see with a real SD card not a micro SD. Than the cards will be fast enough to record 4k videos to.

Is a micro sd card fast enough to record 30fps 4k video? I know you can't do burst pictures onto an SD card so I'm just guessing here.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

This is nice to see. Very excited to get the third one this year. Fast phone, great screen, amazing battery. And fits perfectly in your hand and pocket.

Sure I might not have a 4k display to see the video in it's native resolution but a 4k image or video but that high of a resolution will have a sharper image when downscaled to 1080p compared to a native 1080p video. So this is only a benefit from what I can see.

It will need more space though. Min 32gb up to 128 is what I want to see with a real SD card not a micro SD. Than the cards will be fast enough to record 4k videos to.

Is a micro sd card fast enough to record 30fps 4k video? I know you can't do burst pictures onto an SD card so I'm just guessing here.

Id love to see 1080@ 48 or 60. That's exciting also :)

Hail Sithis!

I disagree, but we shall see :) I don't expect it to effect the commercial market, but look at the camera megapixel race... no one has a display that natively supports images that high but people still look for that spec when buying a phone or a dedicated camera...

With photos it's completely different though. You can edit them, and when you have a larger image you have more overall clarity. If you wish to crop the image to a certain area having a larger resolution image gives you the ability to do so without significantly impacting the quality or clarity of the image.

The same isn't really accurate for video though.