When all is lost, Linus gives you hope.

I've been there today. My Phenom II x6 1045t arrived. But I watched this video few weeks ago and I managed to fix as many as 6 pins using needle (they came bent on arrival... wtf, or maybe i somehow bent them when taking out of package)... and it works. 1 BSOD so far but otherwise stable, dont have thermal paste for today to do OCCT (temps are high so i have to wait until i get more thermal paste).

Thanks Linus, you gave me hope when all seemed lost! :D

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

I had exact same feeling when it posted after 10th try (it took me like 3 hours total to do the job) as Linus in his video when his Phenom went through POST.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

So wait, you're using a CPU without thermal paste? 

Oh_God_Why-47-650x650.jpg

How are you cooling it?

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

So your CPU arrived defective and you didn't return it? 

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Oh_God_Why-47-650x650.jpg

How are you cooling it?

I am using the rest of thermal paste that was on box cooler which isnt enough imho. I need to get an Arctic MX4 or something and use that instead of stock thermal paste.

So your CPU arrived defective and you didn't return it? 

Try to return a Phenom II x6 1045t when there are no more Phenom II x6 1045t (mine was like one of the last in Poland).

And RMA doesnt work so smoothly here, I doubt they would grant me my money back. In the end how do i prove them i didnt bent those pins myself, and then how do they prove me the pins werent bent in the first place? I'd only waste time and money for sending it back and forth and getting a "NO".

And, I paid 130$ for it which is less than FX 6300 (and i didnt need to change mobo). Cost-friendly.

This is why I don't like BGA.

You mean PGA?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Yes, sorry go my arrays mixed up :)

You are forgiven..............This time  :ph34r:

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

This is why I don't like BGA.

Isn't this a good argument for BGA? PGAs are way too fragile and LGAs are even more fragile and harder to repair.

Isn't this a good argument for BGA? PGAs are way too fragile and LGAs are even more fragile and harder to repair.

I got my arrays mixed up, it's PGA I don't like, LGA and BGA are actually my preferred choice.

I got my arrays mixed up, it's PGA I don't like, LGA and BGA are actually my preferred choice.

LGA is near impossible to repair, and Intel CPUs are so hard to pick up. I guess it's only like $70-150 to replace a socket, rather than $1000 replace an expensive CPU. I still don't like it, though.

I'm not really going to mind if they make intel CPUs BGA. How often do you replace your CPU if you are running a mainstream Intel Socket. Doing an i3 to i5 upgrade is useless because your motherboard probably sucks, so you can't overclock, and doing an i5 to i7 upgrade is a pretty meager upgrade.

LGA is near impossible to repair, and Intel CPUs are so hard to pick up. I guess it's only like $70-150 to replace a socket, rather than $1000 replace an expensive CPU. I still don't like it, though.

I'm not really going to mind if they make intel CPUs BGA. How often do you replace your CPU if you are running a mainstream Intel Socket. Doing an i3 to i5 upgrade is useless because your motherboard probably sucks, so you can't overclock, and doing an i5 to i7 upgrade is a pretty meager upgrade.

No, seriously. I probably broke something while repairing it so the phenom will be prone to crashes and instability but i hope it will just 'work' overally. I wonder if i didnt fit any pin correctly. We'll see.

No, seriously. I probably broke something while repairing it so the phenom will be prone to crashes and instability but i hope it will just 'work' overally. I wonder if i didnt fit any pin correctly. We'll see.

Here's a long story about PGA and Bent pins. A buddy of mine was building his rig at my house because he didn't have the space at his parents place. He got everything hooked up but still needed to get the CPU and cooler mounted. He had to leave for work so I told him that I would finish the project for him :). well it was a fairly simple job right? Well he failed to mention that the retention arm on the socket was faulty. So I put the CPU cooler on but the way his board was designed the mount mechanism for the cooler was interfering with the mosfet heatsink. So I had to rotate the cooler 180 degrees. well I didn't realize when I lifted the cooler off of the socket, the CPU came with it. Even though I had locked the retention arm in it still did due to the faulty design. Well i put the cooler on the socket and it still wouldn't go on. so I took it off and there was the CPU attached to the bottom with about 15 bent pins. it was a Phenom II X6 1100T that he just got that day. I froze and my face turned white. I was so upset at myself and didn't want to tell him. Well I had to work that night, but I couldn't just leave it bent like that. So I took it to work and meticulously unbent the 15 pins with a credit card and a lead pencil. I told him the next day about what happened and he was pissed but understood because he failed to tell me about the faulty socket. He was relieved when it booted up perfectly fine and passed prime 95 with flying colors. That's my PGA horror story but with a good ending :)

Hail Sithis!

Here's a long story about PGA and Bent pins. A buddy of mine was building his rig at my house because he didn't have the space at his parents place. He got everything hooked up but still needed to get the CPU and cooler mounted. He had to leave for work so I told him that I would finish the project for him :). well it was a fairly simple job right? Well he failed to mention that the retention arm on the socket was faulty. So I put the CPU cooler on but the way his board was designed the mount mechanism for the cooler was interfering with the mosfet heatsink. So I had to rotate the cooler 180 degrees. well I didn't realize when I lifted the cooler off of the socket, the CPU came with it. Even though I had locked the retention arm in it still did due to the faulty design. Well i put the cooler on the socket and it still wouldn't go on. so I took it off and there was the CPU attached to the bottom with about 15 bent pins. it was a Phenom II X6 1100T that he just got that day. I froze and my face turned white. I was so upset at myself and didn't want to tell him. Well I had to work that night, but I couldn't just leave it bent like that. So I took it to work and meticulously unbent the 15 pins with a credit card and a lead pencil. I told him the next day about what happened and he was pissed but understood because he failed to tell me about the faulty socket. He was relieved when it booted up perfectly fine and passed prime 95 with flying colors. That's my PGA horror story but with a good ending :)

Damn, 15 pins is a lot. I had lots of problems with my 6 pins and a needle. At some point when i was fixin' them pinz i actually bent two more but i straightened them as well.

All in all, i am amazed anyway. Phenom IIs are tough 'motherf-ers" to kill, if you know what I mean. That's what i first thought after seeing Linus fixing Phenom II and ending up just STICKING A PIN FREELY INTO THE SOCKET, WHAT THE HELL, and well - it posted. A shame that later on I had to experience same thing xD

Damn, 15 pins is a lot. I had lots of problems with my 6 pins and a needle. At some point when i was fixin' them pinz i actually bent two more but i straightened them as well.

All in all, i am amazed anyway. Phenom IIs are tough 'motherf-ers" to kill, if you know what I mean. That's what i first thought after seeing Linus fixing Phenom II and ending up just STICKING A PIN FREELY INTO THE SOCKET, WHAT THE HELL, and well - it posted. A shame that later on I had to experience same thing xD

Yes thy are. I built my moms PC and it has a 960T unlocked to a 6 core. Pair that with a 6670 and it's a little beast of a gaming machine :). Sadly she only plays Farmville at this point :(. But I think AMD should have kept the Phenom branding, there would have been less backlash. Maybe they'll bring it back? who knows.

BTW, the only reason I knew what to do is because of Linus' video on bent pins. I would have been SOL had it not been for him :) TY Linus <3

Hail Sithis!

Yes thy are. I built my moms PC and it has a 960T unlocked to a 6 core. Pair that with a 6670 and it's a little beast of a gaming machine :). Sadly she only plays Farmville at this point :(. But I think AMD should have kept the Phenom branding, there would have been less backlash. Maybe they'll bring it back? who knows.

BTW, the only reason I knew what to do is because of Linus' video on bent pins. I would have been SOL had it not been for him :) TY Linus <3

Same, if I didn't see Linus do it I wouldn't think it's even possible. BTW That video is still amusing :D

Same, if I didn't see Linus do it I wouldn't think it's even possible. BTW That video is still amusing :D

He swears in it, and I always giggle a bit when he swears. IDK why  :lol:

Hail Sithis!

• 3 weeks later...

Another week and it's still running.

How are you cooling it?

Technically, it is possible to keep it cool enough at idle without TIM. Toothpaste can also make for a quick test-boot, just don't use an abrasive kind.

As a side-topic though; In terms of performance, anything else is better. However, I must point out that there are also thermal pads with more thermal conductivity than all but the absolute best TIM. The best TIM being liquid metal.

Disclaimer: DO NOT use a liquid metal TIM unless you have studied it, it's application process, incompatabilities, and need the thermal-conductivity. They are near useless unless overclocking heavily and with an impressive cooling solution. Typically only used under LN2 overclocking.

Sorry for going off on a wild tangent.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6145146?
This is how you own price to performance.
"Life is too precious to be wasted in misery." -Me.