GPU Stopped working after introducing 2nd monitor

I recently introduced a 2nd monitor to my GPU, plugging it in while it was on. Everything seemed fine but when I play games or something GPU intensive it soft restarts where the fans stay on but the computer completely turns off and then turns back on without warning. I suspect my GPU isn't working properly anymore. I can do casual things like browse and go to youtube/twitch but anything involving strenuous tasks for my GPU like benchmarks or games will induce a restart. bluescreenview doesn't show any error messages so I'm hoping there is something I can figure out. Its a fresh install with hopefully completely updated drivers. I reinstalled my OS to hopefully fix a driver issue which is what I was entirely certain it was because bluescreenview had shown DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE but that no longer shows up so it isn't that? Any help is greatly appreciated, I should be monitoring this post pretty heavily. Can provide pc specs in a few minutes. 

Graphics drivers maybe? I had a few small issues when I introduced my second monitor as well. My 650 ti boost only has DVI/VGA/HDMI ports, so my main monitor is DVI, and the secondary is VGA. No matter what I do my BIOS is on the VGA monitor, but thats a small issue. My overclocks also had to be lowered as the second monitor for whatever reason added some instability. Before we go any further, what is your system specs?

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

I've taken off the 2nd monitor and tried running games or benchmarks again and it does the same thing

Did I read you right that you plugged in the monitor while everything was powered up? This could have effected the card, its always better to plug anything in while there is no power running. Best rule of thumb would be to power everything down when you are plugging anything more than USBs into the tower.

Where you go from here, I am afraid I have no answer. Perhaps you can try another card and see if that acts stably in your set up.

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

was going to suggest bypassing the 970 to confirm whether its a GPU problem or monitor, but your fx does not have onboard graphics.

try swapping parts with another pc if you have one. another thing you can try is to reseat the card and its 6/8pin power supply leads. modern day computers are robust enough to hot swap monitors, to be honest.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I have two of these monitors. I have reseated both my GPU in the same pci-e slot as well as an alternate and unplugged the pins and replugged them in to ensure they're fully in. My PSU has 2 gpu 8-pin slots for multiple graphics cards so I switched it to the other one and it made no difference. How unlucky do you have to be to ruin a graphics card through plugging in a dvi cable?

Can anyone give me a good way to update drivers? So far all I have done on this install is upgrade to windows 10. I opened 3D mark with no drivers downloaded yet and it loaded Fire Strike but only got like 1fps, which I assumed meant it would work and I just had to update my drivers. So I did that through the disc provided by MSI and got MSI Live Update 6 and downloaded stuff from that and then Nvidia GeForce Experience had a driver for me to download. It wouldn't download so I went directly to MSI's website and downloaded the driver from there, opened it and it appeared to work fine but the issue came back. Between the first time I opened Fire Strike and this point I had downloaded a few drivers and then re-run Fire Strike, finding that it went back to doing the thing it was doing before. I also updated my motherboard's drivers through the disc provided by Asus but i'm not sure about further drivers. All I know is my computer was working well until I introduced the 2nd monitor and now I can't play games or anything GPU intense because it will just reboot my computer without notice.