Alcatel OneTouch IDOL 3 (5.5") or Microsoft 640 XL Lumia

Sorfex0

Did some research and those two are the only ones available in my country with my contract.

Windows phone looks nice and more snappy with better support and i dont really care about third party software, but idol 3 seems more powerful in every aspect)

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4 GHz                                                 Case: Fractal Design Define R5                       SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb          Monitor:  Benq GL2760        
   GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (+140 Core|+400 Mem)               Motherboard: Msi Z97-G5                                 HDD: WD blue 1TB                             CPU Cooler:  Hyper 412s
      RAM: 16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz                                PSU: Cooler Master v850                                 Storage: Adata HV610 1TB                  OS: Windows 10           

Idol 3 just looks nicer lol

*mildly autistic*

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard: x99 RampageRAM: 16GB DDR4 GPU: Nvidia 980 Ti SSD: Looking for one |

Alcatel is way better.

Android has more apps, it's also a nicer phone hardware wise in every aspect.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

well.. you're kinda picking between windows phone and android here.

i've had an alcatel los angeles in the past (also known as the alcatel onetouch something, and telenor onetouch OT990 or something in that range)

it was a great phone, well built, but i've had some issues with it, primarily the usb port actually desoldering itself over time (clean seperation from the pcb, i've replaced it with a cable wired straight to the board)

So i guess i should roll with idol 3.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4 GHz                                                 Case: Fractal Design Define R5                       SSD: Samsung Evo 850 250gb          Monitor:  Benq GL2760        
   GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (+140 Core|+400 Mem)               Motherboard: Msi Z97-G5                                 HDD: WD blue 1TB                             CPU Cooler:  Hyper 412s
      RAM: 16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz                                PSU: Cooler Master v850                                 Storage: Adata HV610 1TB                  OS: Windows 10           

I can't really recommend Windows Phones at the moment. The app support is poor, relying on alternatives for most of the apps, and Microsoft treating WP as a test platform really makes things inconsistent and occasionally glitchy.

Why was I not tagged in this? I own one i expect to damn know if it's good or not.

@Sorfex0 640XL. Really awesome! Except, make sure to get a micro sd card as well.

I did a fully featured review here

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/452474-microsoft-lumia-640xl-windows-phone-review-from-someone-new-to-smartphones/

I can't really recommend Windows Phones at the moment. The app support is poor, relying on alternatives for most of the apps, and Microsoft treating WP as a test platform really makes things inconsistent and occasionally glitchy.

Most apps I use are just fine. My problem is that the only apps i have difficulty with are apps not being there and having little to no alternative. e.g. I take a ferry to get to school and back and they have an app for IOS and Android but not WP. Does it bother me, a bit but it's not enough to make me move to IOS or Android. Same with Octopus Card app and app for local metro. 

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Why was I not tagged in this? I own one i expect to damn know if it's good or not.

@Sorfex0 640XL. Really awesome! Except, make sure to get a micro sd card as well.

I did a fully featured review here

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/452474-microsoft-lumia-640xl-windows-phone-review-from-someone-new-to-smartphones/

Most apps I use are just fine. My problem is that the only apps i have difficulty with are apps not being there and having little to no alternative. e.g. I take a ferry to get to school and back and they have an app for IOS and Android but not WP. Does it bother me, a bit but it's not enough to make me move to IOS or Android. Same with Octopus Card app and app for local metro. 

Just finished reading ur full review. I wont lie i want that 640 xl it looks beatiful to me. But is it really worth over idol 3 when it has full hd display with those sexy jbl front speakers?

Just finished reading ur full review. I wont lie i want that 640 xl it looks beatiful to me. But is it really worth over idol 3 when it has full hd display with those sexy jbl front speakers?

Honestly the screen looks really awesome despite the fact that it is 720p.  unless your holding your phone right up against your eyes (literally) then you won't see the difference. The Blacks are quite nice and are more black instead of gray. As for speakers, well i don't use the speaker much on this but when i do use it i am a bit impressed. If only because it beats out the speakers on my friends' phone. I use headphones and for that it's quite good. Even comes with a software EQ in the settings.

If you go for the Lumia I can help find app equivalents, apps remade on it and apps to avoid like the plague.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Honestly the screen looks really awesome despite the fact that it is 720p.  unless your holding your phone right up against your eyes (literally) then you won't see the difference. The Blacks are quite nice and are more black instead of gray. As for speakers, well i don't use the speaker much on this but when i do use it i am a bit impressed. If only because it beats out the speakers on my friends' phone. I use headphones and for that it's quite good. Even comes with a software EQ in the settings.

If you go for the Lumia I can help find app equivalents, apps remade on it and apps to avoid like the plague.

You make my life harder. I was about to give up on 640 xl now i want it again..

You make my life harder. I was about to give up on 640 xl now i want it again..

sorry :(

Unless that alcatel run stock or close to stock android, I personally wouldn't bother. Obviously the specs are better than 640XL but the Lumia will have better battery life & daily usability. I have an android tablet with better soc (Intel Z3745) than that Snapdragon 615 and it still runs like shit over time. Also, youll get the peace of mind with the lumia knowing the os will continue to get updates for years to come from Microsoft. 

Unless that alcatel run stock or close to stock android, I personally wouldn't bother. Obviously the specs are better than 640XL but the Lumia will have better battery life & daily usability. I have an android tablet with better soc (Intel Z3745) than that Snapdragon 615 and it still runs like shit over time. Also, youll get the peace of mind with the lumia knowing the os will continue to get updates for years to come from Microsoft. 

Yeh idol is stock android only very mirror changes. I agree about lumia os part thats why i want it. I really preffer windows phone over android phone but i am not sure when i can get those specs for about same price.

Oh and battery life at least from review that i was watching said that battery on lumia holds only about 10% more than idol 3. So both of them have great battery life.

Yeh idol is stock android only very mirror changes. I agree about lumia os part thats why i want it. I really preffer windows phone over android phone but i am not sure when i can get those specs for about same price.

Oh and battery life at least from review that i was watching said that battery on lumia holds only about 10% more than idol 3. So both of them have great battery life.

Either way both looks like great phones anyway. Personally I'd take the 640 XL simply because I hate android. The user experience is very mixed bag across apps and most of them are really intrusive unless you take your time and set the privacy settings. Insiders preview program is amazing if you want to be part of the community improving/guiding the OS growth/useability. I currently own a L620, L925 and a 950 XL so I know my ways well around the OS and ecosystem.

Just found out that idol 3 camera makes terrible sounds distortions. Also seems that Alcatel delays updates or doesn't do them at all. Kinda sucks.