Need a mic for my camera please help

So I have a canon powershot sx50 hs and I was looking to improve my mic quality with a shotgun mic. I purchased the Takstar SGC-598 and when then realized that the mic is a 3.5mm and the camera has a 2.5mm port on it. I had an old 3.5mm to 2.5mm converter laying around that i used for a mic previously but still it didnt work. I was looking around and noticed as well that most shotgun mics are 3.5mm. Is there any shotgun mics I could get for my camera? Someone please help.

The camera does not support an external microphone.

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

snip

The 2.5 port it has seems to be for a remote and not for a mic. So if you want better sound use an external audio recorder like the Zoom H1, and sync in post.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

So I have a canon powershot sx50 hs and I was looking to improve my mic quality with a shotgun mic. I purchased the Takstar SGC-598 and when then realized that the mic is a 3.5mm and the camera has a 2.5mm port on it. I had an old 3.5mm to 2.5mm converter laying around that i used for a mic previously but still it didnt work. I was looking around and noticed as well that most shotgun mics are 3.5mm. Is there any shotgun mics I could get for my camera? Someone please help.

the port is not for a mic. Its for canons external trigger which plugs in with a 2.5mm jack. That camera does not have a mic input.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

get a portable external mic

I have a feeling all external microphones are portable.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer