Office PC - Price/Performace advice please :)

Mayhemster

HI all,

I want to upgrade my office PCs. We currently have a few power users and their computers are running a bit slow.

I was looking at possibly going with AMD for the APUs to handel sketchut files, but I'm not sure what the best way to go is in the current market.

They use a lot of Excel and PDF documents. We do construction, so these are large complex PDFs with many layers/pages.

We also work with many web pages open at once - 10-15 (Chrome and Firefox)

Occasionally we will need to look at the architects CADs in sketch up, which to my knowledge dose not leverage multi-threading.

The goal would be to build a system that dosen't need a video card, so I can put that budget twards a better CPU/APU

Thanks!

How much is the budget?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

good amount a ram and prob an APU

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

HI all,

I want to upgrade my office PCs. We currently have a few power users and their computers are running a bit slow.

I was looking at possibly going with AMD for the APUs to handel sketchut files, but I'm not sure what the best way to go is in the current market.

They use a lot of Excel and PDF documents. We do construction, so these are large complex PDFs with many layers/pages.

We also work with many web pages open at once - 10-15 (Chrome and Firefox)

Occasionally we will need to look at the architects CADs in sketch up, which to my knowledge dose not leverage multi-threading.

The goal would be to build a system that dosen't need a video card, so I can put that budget twards a better CPU/APU

Thanks!

Budget?

Depending on whether you can afford it or not, I'd recommend an entry level core i5 with 8gb of ram and most importantly an ssd. If that is too expensive, I'd step down the cpu to a core i3 but try to keep the 8gb of ram and ssd if possible. I wouldn't recommend an APU for single threaded workloads like sketchup, simply because their ipc is significantly lower than that of an i3 or i5. Do not skimp on the psu, in an office I imagine reliability is key - this one isn't expensive but is very reliable.

Feel free to ask more questions @Mayhemster and please follow your topics ;)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Depending on whether you can afford it or not, I'd recommend an entry level core i5 with 8gb of ram and most importantly an ssd. If that is too expensive, I'd step down the cpu to a core i3 but try to keep the 8gb of ram and ssd if possible. I wouldn't recommend an APU for single threaded workloads like sketchup, simply because their ipc is significantly lower than that of an i3 or i5. Do not skimp on the psu, in an office I imagine reliability is key - this one isn't expensive but is very reliable.

Feel free to ask more questions @Mayhemster and please follow your topics ;)

Thanks @Sauron That's what I was looking at myself. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting budget on something silly.

Cheers

A10-7870K would do really nice for budget PCs

You should couple that with high speed memory to reap the benefits of the iGPU.

An 8GB memory kit will do.

The whole system would be inexpensive.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."