Help building the "heart" of my new PC

Hello  guys,

This is my first posting here on this site, i would love if someone could help me out. I am planning to "upgrade" my PC, but actually i need to change almost everything. 

I need ur advice on this 4 different set ups. I am not planning on overclocking! I am planning to play on FHD and Oculus Rift once its out. And want this build to be futureproof, so i dont really want to upgrade in the next lets say 5 years.

Skylake vs haswell, nvidia vs amd, ddr3 1600 vs ddr4 2133

Altogether which one would you recommend? Any suggestions, replacments?

Thanks for ur help!

Norbert

post-291487-0-46394400-1449413515_thumb.

Hello  guys,

This is my first posting here on this site, i would love if someone could help me out. I am planning to "upgrade" my PC, but actually i need to change almost everything. 

I need ur advice on this 4 different set ups. I am not planning on overclocking! I am planning to play on FHD and Oculus Rift once its out. And want this build to be futureproof, so i dont really want to upgrade in the next lets say 5 years.

Skylake vs haswell, nvidia vs amd, ddr3 1600 vs ddr4 2133

Altogether which one would you recommend? Any suggestions, replacments?

Thanks for ur help!

Norbert

Plan D. Change out the power supply to an PSU with 850 Watt or higher. EVGA is recommend. Also go with an asus board. What is your color scheme I will help you pick out a board. 

Chase B
Sound Tech and GPU Expert

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

Plan D. The Oculus Rift can be quite demanding on the system and well a 970 is on the edge of enough power I think for enjoyable gaming.

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Plan D. Change out the power supply to an PSU with 850 Watt or higher. EVGA is recommend. Also go with an asus board. What is your color scheme I will help you pick out a board. 

Thanks for the advices, is the 390 that much better? I am really on the side of the nvidia cuz of the drivers and things like that. I really like the style of the MSI parts this is why i chose those. I would really like to keep this budget. What are ur suggestions if changing the msi parts? ( Blue parts are also amazing, i would even mount up the pc once on my wall on the summer, so i would love to get nice, good looking parts)

Plan D. The Oculus Rift can be quite demanding on the system and well a 970 is on the edge of enough power I think for enjoyable gaming.

Thanks for the reply:)

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($153.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($304.99 @ Micro Center) 

Total: $797.70

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-06 10:11 EST-0500

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

Here are some GPU Benchmarks. http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-AMD-R9-390/2577vs3481

MSI is fine but I like ASUS more. Do you want me to REcommend some asus board How much us money do you want to spend on a board.

Chase B

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

between the gtx970 and r9 390:

970 if your local power cost is high, if you care about heat output, or if you specificly like nvidia drivers.

390 if you are going for performance per dollar (most people are in this spot), or if you specificly like AMD drivers.

the 970 i got in january has already paid off its price difference with a 390 in power cost, but i'm an extreme case.

for the cpu: get a skylake part if you can afford its price premium (skylake prices are a tad unstabile, they are currently a tad on the high side)

pair that up with a 2x4 kit of ram if you are planning on upgrading to 16GB, or a 1x8 "kit" if you're planning to upgrade to 32GB ram.

if you're going for future proofing, i suggest going for an SLI/CF enabled board.

if you get the gtx970, you'll need a Z chipset board for SLI, if you do, get the msi's krait board

if you get the r9 390, you can get a H or B chipset, but make sure it supports crossfire.

the chance you go sli/cf may be small, but its worth the *tiny* price premium just in case.

as for the power supply: stay the hell away from FSP. i deal with a lot of crappy parts, but out of all of them an FSP power supply is the only one that died in a notable way.

get a higher wattage tier 1 or 2 PSU. probably around the 750-850 watt range will be fine for longer than you'll be a gamer. (buy a decent psu now, and you'll never need a new one)

psu tier listing: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/

put all of that in a quality case with plenty of airflow and fan filters, and you're good to go.

Go for the D setup, it will last you longer, will be faster, go for EVGA with power supply. The 390 is great but it also draws much power.

Goodluck and welcome to LTT! :)

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD

Here are some GPU Benchmarks. http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-AMD-R9-390/2577vs3481

MSI is fine but I like ASUS more. Do you want me to REcommend some asus board How much us money do you want to spend on a board.

thanks for the benchmarks, yes, i would love it if u could recommend some. around 35k HUF which is around 115 us dollars.

Go for the D setup, it will last you longer, will be faster, go for EVGA with power supply. The 390 is great but it also draws much power.

Goodluck and welcome to LTT! :)

thnaks:) already love it, so many helpful answers! 

thanks for the benchmarks, yes, i would love it if u could recommend some. around 35k HUF which is around 115 us dollars.

HEre is one a little over. This is the best one. http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Z170-P-ATX-DDR4-Motherboards/dp/B012VOO3E6/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1449415308&sr=8-15&keywords=z170+asus

Chase B

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($153.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($304.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $797.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-06 10:11 EST-0500

thank you:)

between the gtx970 and r9 390:

970 if your local power cost is high, if you care about heat output, or if you specificly like nvidia drivers.

390 if you are going for performance per dollar (most people are in this spot), or if you specificly like AMD drivers.

the 970 i got in january has already paid off its price difference with a 390 in power cost, but i'm an extreme case.

for the cpu: get a skylake part if you can afford its price premium (skylake prices are a tad unstabile, they are currently a tad on the high side)

pair that up with a 2x4 kit of ram if you are planning on upgrading to 16GB, or a 1x8 "kit" if you're planning to upgrade to 32GB ram.

if you're going for future proofing, i suggest going for an SLI/CF enabled board.

if you get the gtx970, you'll need a Z chipset board for SLI, if you do, get the msi's krait board

if you get the r9 390, you can get a H or B chipset, but make sure it supports crossfire.

the chance you go sli/cf may be small, but its worth the *tiny* price premium just in case.

as for the power supply: stay the hell away from FSP. i deal with a lot of crappy parts, but out of all of them an FSP power supply is the only one that died in a notable way.

get a higher wattage tier 1 or 2 PSU. probably around the 750-850 watt range will be fine for longer than you'll be a gamer. (buy a decent psu now, and you'll never need a new one)

psu tier listing: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/

put all of that in a quality case with plenty of airflow and fan filters, and you're good to go.

In Hungary where i would buy the parts the msi 970 and msi r9 390 costs the same.. i am starting to be on the 390 part.. thanks for the PSU advice, than what would you recoummend? (around this price range?)

Can you read american pages.

question? as long as i understand the words yes

let me know if you have questions

so good news, this Asus motherboard is even cheaper here in Hungary, 

lets say i pick the r9 390, and asus mb with and i5-6600.

Do i need a CPU cooler? What about the PSU? would love to get some cheap one.  ideas? thanks!

so good news, this Asus motherboard is even cheaper here in Hungary, 

lets say i pick the r9 390, and asus mb with and i5-6600.

Do i need a CPU cooler? What about the PSU? would love to get some cheap one.  ideas? thanks!

PSU Recommend http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Crossfire-Warranty-220-G2-0850-XR/dp/B00IKDETOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449417335&sr=8-1&keywords=evga+850

Cpu Cooler http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-20PK-R2/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449417367&sr=8-2&keywords=1151+cpu+cooler

Chase B

Thank you for the help!!!

Thats my job. You can PM me or Post in the forums for more questions. Please tag me if you have direct questions for me. Example @ChaseB . Have a great day/night and I will talk to you later.  

Chase B