Windows 10 TH2 update wont install....

jagdtigger
Go to solution Solved by jagdtigger,

Solved it, unplugged all other drives and its installed, what a hunk of junk... :angry:

Greetings.

Im trying to install this damn update since weeks. The current build installed is 10240, non insider. Tried everything i could found on the net(all usb removed except mouse an keyboard, uninstall AV) but the end result remained the same:

The error message says the install failed in the SAFE_OS phase, an error occurred while a PREPARE_ROLLBACK operation.

Have someone any idea how can i fix this? :unsure:

Greetings.

Im trying to install this damn update since weeks. The current build installed is 10240, non insider. Tried everything i could found on the net(all usb removed except mouse an keyboard, uninstall AV) but the end result remained the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ue8o2mHZNk

The error message says the install failed in the SAFE_OS phase, an error occurred while a PREPARE_ROLLBACK operation.

Have someone any idea how can i fix this? :unsure:

Ubuntu maybe the culprit, if it doesn't work the clean install Windows 10. Never went through this before so I'm not 100% sure but it's possible Ubuntu interfere with Windows

Maybe, but then i couldn't do the initial upgrade from win7....  By the way, all three OS is on a different drive so they leave alone each others boot stuff.

Maybe, but then i couldn't do the initial upgrade from win7....  By the way, all three OS is on a different drive so they leave alone each others boot stuff.

Doesn't matter. The problem is the boot loader.

Windows probably gets confused with it, not knowing if you are on UEFI enabled/supported system or old legacy BIOS.

I recommend to use Windows boot loader instead.

You'll have each OS, and for Ubuntu, you'll have "Other" or something along the line.

Nope, that wasnt the problem. I recconfigured the BIOS to load the win10 bootloader instead of grub but no luck. Still doing the same thing and the error code also the same as before. Oh and more info, i set the BIOS to UEFI boot only when i installed the current operating systems.

Do you have a second HDD/SSD in your system? If so, unplug everything except the HDD/SSD with Windows 10 on.

MS can go to hell...  :angry:  I tought they fixed that one ages ago. Anyway, i wont do that tonight, maybe next day or even later.....

MS can go to hell...  :angry:  I tought they fixed that one ages ago. Anyway, i wont do that tonight, maybe next day or even later.....

I think they fixed it in TH2... but you need to get TH2. So next update should be fine. But don't quote me on that. It must be noted that your setup is also very particular. I would definitely share this to Windows Feedback (with details).

"I think they fixed it in TH2... "

I mean before win 10. The last time i needed to do this is when i instaled XP...

"I would definitely share this to Windows Feedback (with details)."

Thats not going to happen. I have disabled all reporting crap through registry but because of this the feedback app wont work. It would be a real PITA to undo it. But i did bring it up on community support but its stuck at the uninstall AV solution wich didnt work, since then i didnt got any other answer...

All the stuff you did via the registry is nothing more than disabling the Windows Error Reporting service, and go to Settings -> Privacy and disable everything (or set to minimum). But Anyway.

"I think they fixed it in TH2... "

I mean before win 10. The last time i needed to do this is when i instaled XP...

"I would definitely share this to Windows Feedback (with details)."

Thats not going to happen. I have disabled all reporting crap through registry but because of this the feedback app wont work. It would be a real PITA to undo it. But i did bring it up on community support but its stuck at the uninstall AV solution wich didnt work, since then i didnt got any other answer...

Keep your keyboard and mouse connected only to your pc and see how it goes, deleting Ubuntu maybe your second last resort and clean install Windows 10 build 1511 and deleting Ubuntu is definitely your last resort.

Keep your keyboard and mouse connected only to your pc and see how it goes, deleting Ubuntu maybe your second last resort and clean install Windows 10 build 1511 and deleting Ubuntu is definitely your last resort.

You didnt read any of the posts? I tried the mouse+keyboard only trick without luck. And i dont need to delete any of the operating systems, just "simply" unplug the drive. The hard part is to access to my case, its between the wall and my desk and the cables are short so i cant just pull it out from there :/ .

You didnt read any of the posts? I tried the mouse+keyboard only trick without luck. And i dont need to delete any of the operating systems, just "simply" unplug the drive. The hard part is to access to my case, its between the wall and my desk and the cables are short so i cant just pull it out from there :/ .

Did you upgrade your pc from Windows 7/8.1 to windows 10?

Yes, but since then i made a clean install. The upgrade from win7 to win10 went through without a problem, even tough all my drives and USB devices were plugged in at the time.

I've personally done TH2 with Ubuntu installed on a second drive using GRUB as a bootloader and I had no issues. This is not related to Ubuntu.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

• 2 weeks later...

Solved it, unplugged all other drives and its installed, what a hunk of junk... :angry:

Well, it just means that you have a setup configuration that about few Insiders and user have, let alone report it, or if they did, lack any sort of details to help Microsoft to solve it.

Maybe, but i dont think my setup is special. I have 2 HDD and 2 SSD hooked up to the motherboards sata controller...