PC restarts when playing games...

Hello!

i have been having problems with my 970 for the past few days. When i start a game it shows immediately or after a few minutes a black screen and sometimes it restart and sometimes it just stays black and stays on. I am pretty sure it's the card because when i start furmark on 1080p and 8x it instantly shows a black screen. I have tried downclocking the card and it looks like it helps a little, i have put 80% power and -50 core and -100 memory and furmark works but bf3 and fallout 4 don't last more than 15min. also forgot to mention i have had this card for 6 months and it started to do this just a few days ago... :/ is the card dead? I have seen some people have had the same issue and i tried to take out a battery from a motherboard to reset the CMOS and that didn't help so do you have any suggestions before i send this card to get it fixes/replaced ? The card works normally when not gaming...

• CPU - I5 4690k 4.4GHz-----Motherboard - MSI Mpower max-----RAM - 2X8GB Hyper X Fury 1866mhz-----GPU - MSI GTX 970-----Case - corsair 750D-----Storage - WD 1TB-----PSU - corsair RM850-----2X Samsung S24D590PL

Are power connectors applied correctly?

Try without the GPU.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Hello!

i have been having problems with my 970 for the past few days. When i start a game it shows immediately or after a few minutes a black screen and sometimes it restart and sometimes it just stays black and stays on. I am pretty sure it's the card because when i start furmark on 1080p and 8x it instantly shows a black screen. I have tried downclocking the card and it looks like it helps a little, i have put 80% power and -50 core and -100 memory and furmark works but bf3 and fallout 4 don't last more than 15min. also forgot to mention i have had this card for 6 months and it started to do this just a few days ago... :/ is the card dead? I have seen some people have had the same issue and i tried to take out a battery from a motherboard to reset the CMOS and that didn't help so do you have any suggestions before i send this card to get it fixes/replaced ? The card works normally when not gaming...

I would RMA that card immediately if the issues are only showing since the 970 arrived!!! You should NEVER have to down clock a card from stock!!! Get it replaced especially considering its one of the strongest OCing 970's being MSI! 

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

???

why did you put power to 80%?

you want to INCREASE that so that it's not being power starved 

leave your core and mem clocks speeds at stock, increase the voltage by as much as possible, and set power limit to max

also check windows event viewer

your PSU might be having issues for some reason instead of your GPU

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Are power connectors applied correctly?

Try without the GPU.

yeah, i have tried pluging it in and out, taking the card out.

• CPU - I5 4690k 4.4GHz-----Motherboard - MSI Mpower max-----RAM - 2X8GB Hyper X Fury 1866mhz-----GPU - MSI GTX 970-----Case - corsair 750D-----Storage - WD 1TB-----PSU - corsair RM850-----2X Samsung S24D590PL

I would RMA that card immediately if the issues are only showing since the 970 arrived!!! You should NEVER have to down clock a card from stock!!! Get it replaced especially considering its one of the strongest OCing 970's being MSI! 

i will do it on monday i was just asking if there are any suggestions i can try because i saw some people have fixed their issues

Hello!

Could be a PSU issue, but when you downclocked the card and it got more stable it is likley that the VRMor the VRAM controller (had that before) of the card is damaged. I´d RMA it and test again with a new card. Same problem then you know your PSU is damaged.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

???

why did you put power to 80%?

you want to INCREASE that so that it's not being power starved 

leave your core and mem clocks speeds at stock, increase the voltage by as much as possible, and set power limit to max

also check windows event viewer

your PSU might be having issues for some reason instead of your GPU

I tried to put it on 80% because i thought maybe the power delivery got damaged or something because it shuts down only when being on heavy load, tried to put the power to 110% voltage +87 because that was the most msi afterburner allowed me and the result is the same i will try with windows event viewer now

I tried to put it on 80% because i thought maybe the power delivery got damaged or something because it shuts down only when being on heavy load, tried to put the power to 110% voltage +87 because that was the most msi afterburner allowed me and the result is the same i will try with windows event viewer now

shutting down under load means

1) CPU or GPU overheating

2) power supply is defective

3) motherboard is defective

or 4) gpu is defective

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Could be a PSU issue, but when you downclocked the card and it got more stable it is likley that the VRMor the VRAM controller (had that before) of the card is damaged. I´d RMA it and test again with a new card. Same problem then you know your PSU is damaged.

it could be a psu problem but i highly doubt it, it is a RM850 , it was never on full or even close to full load maybe 550 max when i had a 280x, that card drew 400w alone lol , and the psu is about a year old

shutting down under load means

1) CPU or GPU overheating

2) power supply is defective

3) motherboard is defective

or 4) gpu is defective

1.) cpu is 4.2 ghz max 70C and the card (when it works) is at about 65-70C

2.) highly doubt it 

3.) doubt it 

4.) very likely 

it could be a psu problem but i highly doubt it, it is a RM850 , it was never on full or even close to full load maybe 550 max when i had a 280x, that card drew 400w alone lol , and the psu is about a year old

Yeah it is a good PSU and delivers more than enough power for your needs. But a friend of mine had this also before. And he would start any 3D applications such as games or benchmarks and get random crashes.

But the fact that you get also a blackscreen before the reboot speaks for a damaged card. Have you tried to clock the memory speed down a good notch?

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

2.) highly doubt it 

3.) doubt it 

4.) very likely 

well from all the years ive been here it seems way more common to have defective power delivery in motherboards and PSUs than GPUs...

all you can do is troubleshoot with different components

you need a spare PSU and GPU though todo trial and error and find what is causing the issue

or you can bring it to a store like NCIX and get them to do that for you so you know what part is defective

Spoiler

2.) highly doubt it 

3.) doubt it 

4.) very likely 

The RM series have crappy secondary capacitors - would not surprise me at all if it's failing

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Yeah it is a good PSU and delivers more than enough power for your needs. But a friend of mine had this also before. And he would start any 3D applications such as games or benchmarks and get random crashes.

But the fact that you get also a blackscreen before the reboot speaks for a damaged card. Have you tried to clock the memory speed down a good notch?

yes, it helps (most of the time)

yes, it helps (most of the time)

Speaks for a damaged VRAM controller. I´d definitely RMA the card.

well from all the years ive been here it seems way more common to have defective power delivery in motherboards and PSUs than GPUs...

all you can do is troubleshoot with different components

you need a spare PSU and GPU though todo trial and error and find what is causing the issue

or you can bring it to a store like NCIX and get them to do that for you so you know what part is defective

i can try that tommorow :)

The RM series have crappy secondary capacitors - would not surprise me at all if it's failing

i will try tommorow with a different psu and a different card to see what is actually failing

i will try tommorow with a different psu and a different card to see what is actually failing

Start with the PSU - my money's on that

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Yup looks like it is the psu i Will try with a different cable or psu because maybe it is something else

Hello!

I created a post check it out that might help

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/503822-gtx-590-crashing-after-driver-35906-update/