Killed On board audio. What happened?

Hello guys!

I had a problem with my On board audio a while ago, that it was not working. Touched the Audio chip on the motherboard and found that it was too hot, so that it was not working. It was not any driver issue or anything. Even I performed Clean Installation of Windows and Ubuntu. So it was the chip itself. I don't know how it happened. But then, I bought a PCI Audio card and it was working fine. After like 6 months (before few days), my motherboard started creating tons of problems like usb ports were not working, north bridge was too hot.

So finally then, I had very old PC with Pentium D 820. So I used that PC for 2 or 3 days. Everything was working fine. Now all of a sudden onboard audio is not working again. Found same problem what I found on my previous PC. Audio chip was freaking hot. So I switched it off immediately. Both are OEM PCs. Both has a good PSU. Can't complain that.

Both the PC was connected on a spike buster. And that power outlet is leading to main current and it's also powered by Home UPS/Inverter. The Inverter has certified Pure Sinewaves (found that it's good for PCs).

What seems to be the problem?

I know it's not any PSU problem. May be my main outlet doing something to the PC?

Please help me out!

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

May be my main outlet doing something to the PC?

Try using it without the power strip. Does the issue still happen?

what "audio chip" are you talking about...

and how do you know that its "too hot"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Try using it without the power strip. Does the issue still happen?

It's a new power strip. The Old strip was thrown away by my dad thinking that it created that problem.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

what "audio chip" are you talking about...

and how do you know that its "too hot"

Realtek Audio on the motherboard.

It will look something like this. Mine is ALC892. 

realtek_audio_chip.jpg

I tried same on my friend's PC. It's not that hot.

Realtek Audio on the motherboard.

It will look something like this. Mine is ALC892. 

I tried same on my friend's PC. It's not that hot.

theres no definition of "hot" so unless you can give some exact temperatures theres no way of knowing that overheating is what caused the issues

just because its hot doesnt mean its what died

some chips go up to 50 or 60C with no problem

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

theres no definition of "hot" so unless you can give some exact temperatures theres no way of knowing that overheating is what caused the issues

just because its hot doesnt mean its what died

some chips go up to 50 or 60C with no problem

I'm sure it's not anywhere between 50 or 60. It should me more than 80. It's not normal that I know. Because as I told earlier, same problem happened with my previous PC. 

I'm sure it's not anywhere between 50 or 60. It should me more than 80. It's not normal that I know. Because as I told earlier, same problem happened with my previous PC. 

if it was over 80 you would have gotten a 3rd degree burn and your skin would swell and fall off

this is why you need to use a thermometer to determine temperature, not "oh i touched it for 1.5 seconds and it was hot" scale

Spoiler

if it was over 80 you would have gotten a 3rd degree burn and your skin would swell and fall off

this is why you need to use a thermometer to determine temperature, not "oh i touched it for 1.5 seconds and it was hot" scale

Coming to the onboard audio problem, can you find what's wrong?

I'm confused here about the problem.

I would say age of the morherboard.

Yea. But How did it happen twice in a row?

The chances of you having two audio chips on two different model motherboards die due to heat is so unlikely that its pretty much guaranteed not to be the issue.

Newer versions of Windows and old motherboards don't always play too well together when it comes to drivers.  That is the first place I'd start.  

You may also want to check your speaker system / wiring to make sure the issue isn't there either.  Speaking of speakers, what do you have connected to the PC?   Connecting a system not meant for a line level signal or speakers with the wrong impedance could also be causing issues.

The chances of you having two audio chips on two different model motherboards die due to heat is so unlikely that its pretty much guaranteed not to be the issue.

Newer versions of Windows and old motherboards don't always play too well together when it comes to drivers.  That is the first place I'd start.  

You may also want to check your speaker system / wiring to make sure the issue isn't there either.  Speaking of speakers, what do you have connected to the PC?   Connecting a system not meant for a line level signal or speakers with the wrong impedance could also be causing issues.

Well, It's not the drivers. I guarantee that. I've been using Windows 8 on the previous one and Windows 7 on Pentium D board. Both are Realtek Audio drivers, They have full support for both chips and OS's. It's not the speaker either, I checked with two speakers and a headphone directly on the motherboard port (Also in FP connectors). All those are working fine on my laptop.

The only thing I can think of is you had speakers not meant for a line level signal, or with the wrong impedance, placing too much of a load on the chip.  Its the only reasonable thing I can think of that would cause 2 audio chips in a row to fail.

The only thing I can think of is you had speakers not meant for a line level signal, or with the wrong impedance, placing too much of a load on the chip.  Its the only reasonable thing I can think of that would cause 2 audio chips in a row to fail.

This is too deep. :/

Never heard of this before.

Deep yes, but important to understand when working with electronics, including audio equipment

Take note of the "Why are ohms important" section in the first link.

http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.htm 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_impedance

Thanks for the info! 

Could be shorted somehow. I have tinkered with electronics for 2 years, and often burn myself on shorted transistors, chips etc

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Could be shorted somehow. I have tinkered with electronics for 2 years, and often burn myself on shorted transistors, chips etc

What on earth are you "tinkering" with to get burned often by shorted components? 

Yea. But How did it happen twice in a row?

Very bad luck? Also, are you also using passive powered speakers perchance?

Very bad luck? Also, are you also using passive powered speakers perchance?

Nope. AC connection.