SSD in sata 3 but only achieving 170MB/s

Crafting

Hello

I have a Samsung 850 evo SSD plugged in a sata 3 6Gb, but it only achieves 170MB/

How can I make it utilize the full bandwidth of sata 3?

Useful specs

HDD

Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD

MSI 760ga-p43ga motherboard

-Crafting

Main Rig: CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 GPU: GTX 1070 MSI Armor OC RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz CASE: Cooler Master Storm Trooper SSD: Samsung 850 250GB HDD: 2TB Seagate Peripherals: Monitor: 27'' QHD 144Hz Acer XF270HUA Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Brown)

This MOBO only has 2 SATA3 ports.....

1. Are you sure you have the SSD plugged into a SATA3 port?
  2. Are you sure the SATA3 drivers are installed?

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

This MOBO only has 2 SATA3 ports.....

1. Are you sure you have the SSD plugged into a SATA3 port?
  2. Are you sure the SATA3 drivers are installed?

Yes it only has 2 sata 3 ports

1. Yes, it's plugged into one of the 2 white sata ports, there is 6 black ones (indicating sata 2)

2. Shouldn't it be supported natively? I've tinkered a bit trying to figure out if there were any new drivers or such, but nothing helps

Main Rig: CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 GPU: GTX 1070 MSI Armor OC RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz CASE: Cooler Master Storm Trooper SSD: Samsung 850 250GB HDD: 2TB Seagate Peripherals: Monitor: 27'' QHD 144Hz Acer XF270HUA Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ (Cherry MX Brown)

Go to BIOS ad see which port the SSD appears under. If it's SATA2 or SATA3GB then you have plugged it in to the wrong port.

It says it's plugged in to sata 3

Does it only say SATA 3 or SATA3GB? That's a difference.

Im pretty sure it said Samsung 850 Evo 250GB                       sata 3

so I worry

There can only be one explanation, you got a re-branded V300.

I doubt it, it is recognised in the Samsung Magician program, and supports various utilities such as rapid mode, which is unique to Samsung SSD's

so I worry

I doubt it, it is recognised in the Samsung Magician program, and supports various utilities such as rapid mode, which is unique to Samsung SSD's

I mean, the motherboard. It has 2x SATA3 ports, make sure you plugged it in correctly.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Check physical connection to motherboard (consult your manual to figure that one out) Then check the mode in the BIOS, should be set to AHCI mode

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

so I worry

ITWASAJOKE!

Is AHCI enabled?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I mean, the motherboard. It has 2x SATA3 ports, make sure you plugged it in correctly.

It's plugged in correctly, don't know how it couldn't be, the locks are activated on the connection.

Check physical connection to motherboard (consult your manual to figure that one out) Then check the mode in the BIOS, should be set to AHCI mode

It's plugged in correcly, the Samsung magician software says it's on AHCI mode. And with the confusing BIOS menu, I think it's set to AHCI

Is AHCI enabled?

The Samsung Magician software says so.

Yes it only has 2 sata 3 ports

1. Yes, it's plugged into one of the 2 white sata ports, there is 6 black ones (indicating sata 2)

2. Shouldn't it be supported natively? I've tinkered a bit trying to figure out if there were any new drivers or such, but nothing helps

Guy......

the 2 white ports, ports 7 & 8, are SATA6GB/s ports from the Asmedia chip.....you MUST install the driver for the chipset for it to work properly/at the advertised speeds.

read the manual.

Driver page for Win764bit OS.

It's plugged in correctly, don't know how it couldn't be, the locks are activated on the connection.

It's plugged in correcly, the Samsung magician software says it's on AHCI mode. And with the confusing BIOS menu, I think it's set to AHCI

The Samsung Magician software says so.

Dont always trust magician to give you the details of your drive, I had a lot of issues with it when W10 first launched, it cut my SSD benchmarks in half because it couldn't correctly detect AHCI mode.

You need some other software, try Crystal disk mark, if you get the same errors it would be time to look at the BIOS for next logical step

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

Guy......

the 2 white ports, ports 7 & 8, are SATA6GB/s ports from the Asmedia chip.....you MUST install the driver for the chipset for it to work properly/at the advertised speeds.

read the manual.

Driver page for Win764bit OS.

Makes sense, but the drivers are installed, and it's still at 200/170MB/s limit

Still my hotswap bay for my 2nd SSD that i'll put in my laptop afterwards, doesn't even work in the sata 2 ports

-Crafting

Makes sense, but the drivers are installed, and it's still at 200/170MB/s limit

Still my hotswap bay for my 2nd SSD that i'll put in my laptop afterwards, doesn't even work in the sata 2 ports

-Crafting

My next step would be to check device manager to see if you have any reported issues concerning drivers, then i would update the BIOS.

Then install and use Samsung Magician v4.9 which is the latest then check again.

I think you don't have the chipset drivers installed.

My next step would be to check device manager to see if you have any reported issues concerning drivers, then i would update the BIOS.

Then install and use Samsung Magician v4.9 which is the latest then check again.

I think you don't have the chipset drivers installed.

I had the chipset drivers, but now I've found some newer ones with the MSI updater program, the bios and drivers has been updated, but still, nothing has changed

This is becoming tidious, im guessing it has something to do with the Asmedia 105x 1061 6Gbit driver, or something like that

-Crafting

I had the chipset drivers, but now I've found some newer ones with the MSI updater program, the bios and drivers has been updated, but still, nothing has changed

This is becoming tidious, im guessing it has something to do with the Asmedia 105x 1061 6Gbit driver, or something like that

-Crafting

It could very well be. I highly doubt it is the SSD because most of the 850EVOs have had a good track record but i have seen a few with bad speeds and Samsung has stated to contact their support for any help, i think this should be your next step on the chance that it is the SSD just being a bad one.

It could very well be. I highly doubt it is the SSD because most of the 850EVOs have had a good track record but i have seen a few with bad speeds and Samsung has stated to contact their support for any help, i think this should be your next step on the chance that it is the SSD just being a bad one.

Alright, I'll try a different ssd, I have 2 of them, and I'll report back, but my HDD doesn't work in the sata 2 ports either, which makes me curious

-Crafting

Alright, I'll try a different ssd, I have 2 of them, and I'll report back, but my HDD doesn't work in the sata 2 ports either, which makes me curious

-Crafting

Then this could be......

1. the proper drivers are not installed
  2. the ports are dead
  3. the cable is broken
  4. the SATA configuration is not in ACHI mode

I would try clearing the CMOS via this method....

1. shut down the PC
  2. unplug the PSU form either end
  3. remove the RAM
  4. remove the MOBO battery, wait about one minute then put it back in
  5. plug in the PSU reboot
  6. you will/should be asked to go into the BIOS to make changes
  7. ensure the SATA is in ACHI mode
  8. check if the problem is fixed

Then this could be......

1. the proper drivers are not installed
  2. the ports are dead
  3. the cable is broken
  4. the SATA configuration is not in ACHI mode

I would try clearing the CMOS via this method....

1. shut down the PC
  2. unplug the PSU form either end
  3. remove the RAM
  4. remove the MOBO battery, wait about one minute then put it back in
  5. plug in the PSU reboot
  6. you will/should be asked to go into the BIOS to make changes
  7. ensure the SATA is in ACHI mode
  8. check if the problem is fixed

Alright, I changed the SATA setup

HDD Sata3

Future OS SSD Sata2

Hot-Swap bay with SSD Sata3

When the external SSD is plugged in, the whole system slows down, programs stops responding, and when I unplug it again, things load again.

Also the HDD is under some conditions under 100% usage even though it's not reading nor writing.

The SSD achieves speeds on 275/255MB/s which is....better than before, but of course all but ideal.

I'm trying to migrate the OS from the HDD to the SSD, and then hopefully later, put my Laptop HDD content in to the second SSD

Still weird that the HDD doesn't work in Sata2 ports...

-Thankful Crafting

Alright, I changed the SATA setup

HDD Sata3

Future OS SSD Sata2

Hot-Swap bay with SSD Sata3

When the external SSD is plugged in, the whole system slows down, programs stops responding, and when I unplug it again, things load again.

Also the HDD is under some conditions under 100% usage even though it's not reading nor writing.

The SSD achieves speeds on 275/255MB/s which is....better than before, but of course all but ideal.

I'm trying to migrate the OS from the HDD to the SSD, and then hopefully later, put my Laptop HDD content in to the second SSD

Still weird that the HDD doesn't work in Sata2 ports...

-Thankful Crafting

Is the SATA 3, SATA3 6GB/s or SATA3 3GB/s because if it is the later then i would understand the SSD speeds but i still don't understand the HDD not being read but still at 100% usage...that makes no sense. 

Have you checked Windows Computer Management to see what is the health of the partitions and the drive letters? To open Computer Management you need to right click Computer and select Manage and this is what you need to check....

1. that all drives are NTFS file system
  2. all are healthy and active 
  3. only one drive should be boot
  4. the boot drive should be disk 0
  5. there are no unallocated space on any of the drives especially the boot drive

Is the SATA 3, SATA3 6GB/s or SATA3 3GB/s because if it is the later then i would understand the SSD speeds but i still don't understand the HDD not being read but still at 100% usage...that makes no sense. 

Have you checked Windows Computer Management to see what is the health of the partitions and the drive letters? To open Computer Management you need to right click Computer and select Manage and this is what you need to check....

1. that all drives are NTFS file system
  2. all are healthy and active 
  3. only one drive should be boot
  4. the boot drive should be disk 0
  5. there are no unallocated space on any of the drives especially the boot drive

Alright, just switched the SSD's (Internal SSD on Sata2 Exchanged with External SSD in the X-Dock plugged in Sata3)

Here it says 6Gb/s Asmedia Controlled

http://asset.msi.com/global/picture/feature/feature_20101211120550.jpg

As written on the Motherboard site

• 2 SATAIII (SATA7~8) ports by Asmedia® ASM1061

- Supports storage and data transfers at up to 6Gb/s

Other useful info

Integrated Peripherals

Extra RAID/IDE Controller: AHCI

On-Chip ATA Devices

PCI IDE BusMaster: Enabled

On-Chip SATA Controller: Enabled

RAID Mode AHCI

Boot Sequence

1st IDE: 1TB HDD

2nd IDE: Samsung SSD

All Drives are NTFS

Drives are "Healthy"

Only one boot drive (HDD)

Boot drive is disk 0

There is no un-allocated space on either of the drives

Concluded something tho, without a solution, the hotswap-bay is not functional with the current settings at least, it's causing the whole computer to not respond much, whenever I plug an SSD or HDD in, might be a sata3 problem? I'll try switching back to Sata2

-Crafting

Alright, just switched the SSD's (Internal SSD on Sata2 Exchanged with External SSD in the X-Dock plugged in Sata3)

Here it says 6Gb/s Asmedia Controlled

http://asset.msi.com/global/picture/feature/feature_20101211120550.jpg

As written on the Motherboard site

• 2 SATAIII (SATA7~8) ports by Asmedia® ASM1061

- Supports storage and data transfers at up to 6Gb/s

Other useful info

Integrated Peripherals

Extra RAID/IDE Controller: AHCI

On-Chip ATA Devices

PCI IDE BusMaster: Enabled

On-Chip SATA Controller: Enabled

RAID Mode AHCI

Boot Sequence

1st IDE: 1TB HDD

2nd IDE: Samsung SSD

All Drives are NTFS

Drives are "Healthy"

Only one boot drive (HDD)

Boot drive is disk 0

There is no un-allocated space on either of the drives

Concluded something tho, without a solution, the hotswap-bay is not functional with the current settings at least, it's causing the whole computer to not respond much, whenever I plug an SSD or HDD in, might be a sata3 problem? I'll try switching back to Sata2

-Crafting

The Asmedia ports are the white ones.

The boot sequence should be SATA and not IDE as i am sure the SSD is not IDE.

Normally you have to set the port to hot-swap in the BIOS but this is only if the port is compatible with hot-swap.