Accessories!

ionbasa

So, I just recently got my new Sony A6000 as an early christmas present (to myself) and wanted to know what other accessories people use in their day to day shooting.

It came with a 16-50mm Power Zoom Lens and an 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Lens

I know I'll definitely be buying an screen protector/hard sheet for the display, and the wasabi power charger and two battery combo.

Any thoughts on additional lenses or mount adapters? The 55-210 is alright. I like the included 16-50mm lens enough that I don't feel compelled to go out and buy a different wide-ish angle lens.

Thoughts?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

So, I just recently got my new Sony A6000 as an early christmas present (to myself) and wanted to know what other accessories people use in their day to day shooting.

It came with a 16-50mm Power Zoom Lens and an 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 Lens

I know I'll definitely be buying an screen protector/hard sheet for the display, and the wasabi power charger and two battery combo.

Any thoughts on additional lenses or mount adapters? The 55-210 is alright. I like the included 16-50mm lens enough that I don't feel compelled to go out and buy a different wide-ish angle lens.

Thoughts?

Lens mount adapters might be useful to have:

• Sony A-mount to E-mount
  • Nikon F to E-mount
  • Canon EF to E-mount
  • Canon FD to E-mount

I don't know what kind of accessories you want or if you need them for the type of photography you do.  I know what I do and what I need, I don't know for you.  Personally I have the following:

• External flash units
  • Extended power packs for my SB-910s
  • TTL cables
  • Wireless TTL triggers (Pocketwizards)
  • Various timer and time-lapse remotes, intervalometers
  • Sekonic light meters
  • Quick release L-plates from Really Right Stuff
  • Tripods and tripod heads with Arca style QR systems
  • Additional Arca style QR plates
  • Sensor and lens cleaning kits
  • Wifi dongles for the cameras
  • USB tether cables
  • Follow focus
  • 15mm rail systems
  • Binoculars
  • Field recorders
  • Spare memory cards
  • Batteries
  • Lens filters
  • Square/rectangular filters
  • Filter mounting systems
  • So much more

So what do you want to get for yourself?  I know some people who have body amor as part of their kits.  

When I travel I carry various medication for injuries and illnesses including stuff for food poisoning, an extensive first aid kit including insect and snake bite kits, insect repellant and sun screen, backup gear, an emergency phone (wish I could get a satellite phone), a sound alarm, spare clothes and depending on where I am going rain gear, scuba gear, sleeping bags, etc.  A tent and mosquito netting are on my list of stuff to get.

Obviously I don't carry all of this all the time.  You kit out your bag for what you need to do.

Here's more "What's in my camera bag" posts

http://thephotobrigade.com/category/in-my-bag/

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

As @ALwin says... there are like 483 billions options out there, if you are new to photography/video I would just rock with what you have for a few weeks and see how you get on, you will soon find out what you are missing or where you think you can expand

A good tripod and bag are a great place to start, perhaps a nice flash, a fast sharp prime lens, some extra memory cards and batteries,  - All of this I consider "essential kit" for anyone

beyond that, it depends where you want to go, and what you feel you need to invest in to get the best out of your equiptment 

EDIT - Don't forget Adobe Premier and Lightroom - or similar software

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

As @ALwin says... there are like 483 billions options out there, if you are new to photography/video I would just rock with what you have for a few weeks and see how you get on, you will soon find out what you are missing or where you think you can expand

A good tripod and bag are a great place to start, perhaps a nice flash, a fast sharp prime lens, some extra memory cards and batteries,  - All of this I consider "essential kit" for anyone

beyond that, it depends where you want to go, and what you feel you need to invest in to get the best out of your equiptment 

Yep, a good starting point is:

• Master the gear you have first
  • have some spare memory cards and batteries, especially with mirrorless as they eat up juice faster than a traditional DSLR
  • A good tripod and a good tripod head (depending whether you want it for photos or video)
  • A good well padded camera bag or a bag with a padded insert
  • A notebook and pen/pencil, or even a tablet to write down notes.  I consider this essential for EVERYONE!  You can jot down camera settings, observations you make about recording the scene, operating the camera, wish lists, check lists, etc.  Draw diagrams of how you plan to set the camera up next time.  Funny thing is though I am telling you to do this, I am not following my own advice   :D I can be very lazy to write things down and rely on my memory.  But I have a lot of my old notes on Dropbox and I can access them on my phone or tablet anytime I want.

If you're planning to work as a photographer, perhaps some standard documents would be nice to keep, either on printed paper or in electronic format that you can access anywhere.  Model release forms, copyright forms, etc.

And let's not forget another import thing: Cash.  Always have on you some spare change and small notes, you may need it to access certain areas.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

• A notebook and pen/pencil, or even a tablet to write down notes

Agreed, even if its just to write down things you have learnt, or keep a note of your settings, or anything like that that you find out on the way, like maybe you realise that a certain mode on your camera helps you, - you can write that down if you forget

I often used to keep a cheat sheet in my bag when I was new (I still keep a few more advanced ones on me too, great for reference)

Quick example

01-simplified-helpful-photography-guide-

15.1.photography-cheat-sheet.jpg

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

This topic reminds me of somethings:

1. A few years ago I was at a Photographers Without Borders exhibition and one of the displays, aside from photos taken by their members, was a Flak Jacket and helmet similar to the one in the image below.

stock-photo-photojournalist-in-a-helmet-

2. I once visited a photographer who had on display at his home, the camera that saved his life by taking a bullet that could've killed him.

SNIP

Alwins pro tip, wear a bullet proof vest when taking photos

Alwins pro tip, wear a bullet proof vest when taking photos

Might not be enough when you're up against a bridezilla.   :huh:  But it was the comment I made about how some people carry body armor and seeing a "in my camera bag" in the link that reminded me.

For lenses, id look into some old canon fd glass. They are quite good quality. You could also get an adapter for the old minolta md/mc mount. There are sopme great lenses in that mount that can be had for not much like the minolta 50mm 1.2 rokkor

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

For lenses, id look into some old canon fd glass. They are quite good quality. You could also get an adapter for the old minolta md/mc mount. There are sopme great lenses in that mount that can be had for not much like the minolta 50mm 1.2 rokkor

One of the best ways to expand a lens collection for a mirrorless camera.

Agreed, even if its just to write down things you have learnt, or keep a note of your settings, or anything like that that you find out on the way, like maybe you realise that a certain mode on your camera helps you, - you can write that down if you forget

I often used to keep a cheat sheet in my bag when I was new (I still keep a few more advanced ones on me too, great for reference)

Quick example

01-simplified-helpful-photography-guide-

15.1.photography-cheat-sheet.jpg

lol this is drastically different depending on the camera you have..

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

lol this is drastically different depending on the camera you have..

I said "quick example"  - to show him what I meant by cheat sheets

snip

snip

This is basically the same concept as when I go scuba diving.  I have a primary computer, backup bottom timer, and a pack of wet-notes in my drysuit's pocket with the dive plan written and backup dive tables.  :D

a pack of wet-notes 

Well. it is the sea

I want to thank everyone who replied so far. First of all, the most useful comments have been for the 'cheat sheets'. I looked some up, and I think I found one that I like, long with the ones that were posted in this thread. 

Eventually, I'd want to buy some mount adapters for my camera.

I know some people here went overboard with the number of accessories and equipment that they listed (even going as far as saying ballistics vests). Most of my shots will be portraits and outdoors/nature/landscape. I dont think ill be photographics war zones just yet  :P (although the terrorist attack in California pretty much happened within 10 miles of where I live  :o ).

Do you guy have any recomendations on a specific lens cleaning kit?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

snip

You can save yourself a lot of money by going to a store that sells eye glasses.  Camera stores will try to sell you 1x microfiber cloths for like $5 each.  The eye glass stores might give them to you for free or sell them to you for $1 each.  Same for the cleaning solution if you ever need one, the solution used to clean prescription glasses is more than enough for cleaning your lenses.  Where I live I just go into the store and buy one bottle and get refills whenever they become low.

Now, sensor cleaning is another matter and if you are ever interested let me know and I will tell you what to get and how to properly and easily clean it.

I want to thank everyone who replied so far. First of all, the most useful comments have been for the 'cheat sheets'. I looked some up, and I think I found one that I like, long with the ones that were posted in this thread. 

Eventually, I'd want to buy some mount adapters for my camera.

I know some people here went overboard with the number of accessories and equipment that they listed (even going as far as saying ballistics vests). Most of my shots will be portraits and outdoors/nature/landscape. I dont think ill be photographics war zones just yet  :P (although the terrorist attack in California pretty much happened within 10 miles of where I live  :o ).

Do you guy have any recomendations on a specific lens cleaning kit?

i use one of these http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-Rocket-Blaster-Blower-Large/dp/B00017LSPI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449519294&sr=8-1&keywords=rocket+air

a microfiber cloth and an eyedropper filed with 70% isopropyl alcohol. That really is all you need. Also, if you are doing portraits, i have an old lens i can recommend. Its the auto chinon 135mm f2.8 in the m42 mount. Really great for portraits and the adapter is dirt cheap and does not need another optic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Chinon-1-2-8-f-135mm-AM-Lens-with-Case-/281852595690?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

here is an example of the kind of shot you can expect with it.

18726448729_28993622c9_k.jpgdog by Tauss ., on Flickr

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

snip

Yeah I forgot to mention the air blower.  Use this more often then a microfiber cloth to wipe the lens.  Most dust that gets on the lens is loose, so a few uses of the blower will remove them.  Wiping the lens is if you get something smudged on it, and even then use a gentle soft wipe.  Don't rub it hard.