Server Gaming/Workstation Computer How-To Guide (LTT Complementary Guide)

Oh wow, I knew some revisions were necessary, but I am ashamed...

Unfortunately I have no control over topic title, so I shall now proceed to tag mods/admins to request that the word "Workstation" in the title is corrected by adding in the letter "k" in between the "r" and "s" in the word. 

@Slick @nicklmg @LinusTech @Windspeed36

Sorry if you are the wrong people to ask, but you are the only ones currently online that have the power to resolve the issue.

You should be able to edit it

You should be able to edit it

Argh, my bad, now I look like a complete idiot. 

I come from an old forum where, even as a moderator, I had little power to edit stuff like that, and my power to edit my own posts were revoked after a week of the original posting date. Made it simpler so we didn't have to moderate every post every single second of the day, but did make those little edits a PITA. 

Fixed, and thanks again Windy.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

-Snip-

Sorry for the long wait on the reply. 

In all honesty, I'll have to ask a few more questions, but I'll try to get it all out in this one post.

1- Would you prefer 1 or 2 CPUs? (1 CPU has cheaper mobos, but 2 are more expandable)

2- What is the intent of the build?

3- List of programs that will be used. (By importance from top to bottom)

4- Size constraints.

I think that'll doer, but if you have anything else, do let me know.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Sorry for the long wait on the reply. 

1- Would you prefer 1 or 2 CPUs? (1 CPU has cheaper mobos, but 2 are more expandable)

2- What is the intent of the build?

3- List of programs that will be used. (By importance from top to bottom)

4- Size constraints.

I think that'll doer, but if you have anything else, do let me know.

Waitings fine by me most of this informations not gonna be of use til January...

1- Either or, whichever gets me best bang for my buck, 

2- Back up/Guest gaming rig, possibly used for streaming or rendering in small amounts, and used as a folding rig...

3- 

Steam+Games (1080p 60fps)

Google Chrome

Folding

OBS+Adobe suite

Bottom

4-MidTower case at max

My first scratched out rough idea

Intel Xeon W3530 4C 8T 3.06Ghz- $5 (macsales)

Intel DX58SO LGA 1366 MOBO(single socket X58)-$110 (ebay)

16GB DDR3 (4x4GB) (ECC)-$50(ebay)

Cooler Master Hyper 212-$15(ebay)

EVGA Supernova 600B-$35(Evga's B stock)

GTX 580-$120(Ebay)

Intel 320 SSD 160GB-$40(Ebay)

1TB HDD-$30(Ebay)

Fractal Design Define S-$40(Buddy of mine)

Total $450

still got some room in my budget just not sure if I want togo Dual CPU, or Better graphics card or more storage... an extra $50-150 not sure where to put it, and this is just a rough list of what I could possibly buy today... based on a few quick searches

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Another note for the thread this time btw, maybe you should go more indepth on LGA 1366 vs 1356, and do some notes about LGA 115X Xeons, some of those are out for decent deals too, maybe Opterons if there's any worth considering... maybe cases, like common ones that support the odd server motherboard standards...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas