Case Mod Project: Opinon Poll

OK, here's the deal. I'm working on trying to finalize the planning out/designing of a case mod project using a CM HAF Stacker 945 that I will be getting sponsored for (by at least one company, hopefully more). The plan as it has been for the past month or so is to make new, completely custom all one piece side panels out of acrylic. The sweet little bonus of this is that it would allow me to save the side panels for all three case sections for the future in case (heh heh, pun intended) the build was ever taken apart and I wanted the stock configuration. As I'm working on actually drawing up the plans for the side panels, I am realizing that not having the side panels on the HAF Stacker 915s will present quite the challenge in for cleanly mounting the water-cooling radiators. So here's my new dilemma: Do I put in who knows how much extra work designing and making custom rad mounts for the 915s, or do I just bite the bullet and cut up the 915 side panels so that I have accurate mounting points for the rads/fans and an easier mounting system for the side panels? The biggest reason I am not just deciding to cut into them right away is that the HAF Stacker is no longer made, so replacing stock parts in the future could potentially be a bit of a bitch. A very expensive bitch....

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

It's a good suggestion, but I already thought of that and I don't think those will work. The fans are going to be between the rad and the side panel, so using those wouldn't allow for that.

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

OK, here's the deal. I'm working on trying to finalize the planning out/designing of a case mod project using a CM HAF Stacker 945 that I will be getting sponsored for (by at least one company, hopefully more). The plan as it has been for the past month or so is to make new, completely custom all one piece side panels out of acrylic. The sweet little bonus of this is that it would allow me to save the side panels for all three case sections for the future in case (heh heh, pun intended) the build was ever taken apart and I wanted the stock configuration. As I'm working on actually drawing up the plans for the side panels, I am realizing that not having the side panels on the HAF Stacker 915s will present quite the challenge in for cleanly mounting the water-cooling radiators. So here's my new dilemma: Do I put in who knows how much extra work designing and making custom rad mounts for the 915s, or do I just bite the bullet and cut up the 915 side panels so that I have accurate mounting points for the rads/fans and an easier mounting system for the side panels? The biggest reason I am not just deciding to cut into them right away is that the HAF Stacker is no longer made, so replacing stock parts in the future could potentially be a bit of a bitch. A very expensive bitch....

IIRC the 915 side panels have mounting holes and grill holes for radiators. It this was not copied to the acrylic panels, where would the radiators mount and vent?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

IIRC the 915 side panels have mounting holes and grill holes for radiators. It this was not copied to the acrylic panels, where would the radiators mount and vent?

That's where the conundrum comes in. Use the designed factory mounting system, or set out to create some kind of custom mounting system that would hold the rads/fans in exactly the same spot. The more I think about it the more I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to accept cutting out the mesh. I'm definitely going to sleep on it tonight, I was just wondering what the community thinks.

END OF LINE

Since only 3 people have voted, I'm guessing that pretty much nobody cares and that it's all on my decision. Lol.

END OF LINE

It's a good suggestion, but I already thought of that and I don't think those will work. The fans are going to be between the rad and the side panel, so using those wouldn't allow for that.

Then take a look here and see if any of these works: http://www.performance-pcs.com/radiator-accessories/shopby/rad-accessory-type--stand--bracket/

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

That's where the conundrum comes in. Use the designed factory mounting system, or set out to create some kind of custom mounting system that would hold the rads/fans in exactly the same spot. The more I think about it the more I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to accept cutting out the mesh. I'm definitely going to sleep on it tonight, I was just wondering what the community thinks.

Could you not simply use the same mounting scheme. That is drilling holes in the acrylic? Or perhaps just drill mounting holes in the acrylic and a cutout (w/o mesh) for rad exhaust/intake.

Depending on what is going in the HAF 915 and the needed radiators another option might be to mount radiator(s) in the top. I think replacing the existing cross brace with ones located so that the radiator(s) can mount on them would work. Has the advantage that the top panel would not have to be modded. Potentially one should be able to mount 140mm x 480mm worth of radiator using this scheme.

Could you not simply use the same mounting scheme. That is drilling holes in the acrylic? Or perhaps just drill mounting holes in the acrylic and a cutout (w/o mesh) for rad exhaust/intake.

Depending on what is going in the HAF 915 and the needed radiators another option might be to mount radiator(s) in the top. I think replacing the existing cross brace with ones located so that the radiator(s) can mount on them would work. Has the advantage that the top panel would not have to be modded. Potentially one should be able to mount 140mm x 480mm worth of radiator using this scheme.

Well, I definitely won't be drilling holes through the acrylic because that won't blend in with the build as a whole, and I don't think it would work to just drill holes into the acrylic because the side panels are going to be made of two layers of 3mm acrylic, the bottom layer is going to be black and the top layer is going to be abrasion resistant clear. Since the black layer is only going to be 3mm thick it won't be strong enough to hold a rad filled and the fans. There will definitely be rads mounted on the right side of each 915 because it will be part of the design. Not sure if I will be able to mount a second rad on the top of the upper 915 in addition to the one on the side tho. I'm also not sure because the top panel is going to be a solid one piece with some artwork. However, I am considering mounting the top panel on some spacers to lift it up so that the top rad can exhaust hot air out the perimeter of the panel. I need to see about sourcing the rads (either through sponsorship or buying them) so that I can figure out how well they will fit.

END OF LINE

@DevilishBooster, if there are no openings in the acrylic how will the radiator on the side vent? Is the 915 just being used for rads & fans?

@DevilishBooster, if there are no openings in the acrylic how will the radiator on the side vent? Is the 915 just being used for rads & fans?

Yes, the 915s will only be used for holding watercooling components. The system will be in the 925 case.

There will be 3 clean cut fan holes on the right side panel for both the top and bottom 915 where there will be led lit fans (hopefully CM JetFlo's). Other than that the acrylic panels will all be mounted with stainless steel thumbscrews. I don't want random screw heads showing on the outside of the case because then it would lose the clean appearance.

END OF LINE